Whitworth & Woods Restructure Contracts......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
AD owes Whit and Woods big time.

I'm going to wear my "Me-Not We" tee-short with AD's picture on it to the Rams first home game.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Nice, hoping the cap room increases much more compared to this year. Guessing Demoff restructured to bank on that.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Phew! For a couple of decades there I thought the players cap figures had to add up to less than the cap. I'm so glad those numbers are actually irrelevant.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Doesn't change the fact they made the restructure in order to extend AD.

dang

Legend
Doesn't change the fact they made the restructure in order to extend AD.
Exactly the point - their agreement to their original contracts made the restructuring an option. Plus unless you have a copy of their contracts and can validate there was no knowledge by the players or their agents - I am not sure you can state this had nothing to do with Whit or Woods.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I understand flv, :palm: I just don't think any of them are worth over 20 mil. and I don't blame the players for getting what they can. But AD holding out two years in a row, quibbling over a couple mil, just rubs me the wrong way.:huh:

I blame the owners, :mrburnsevil: who are pricing fans like me out of being able to afford going to a game with my grandkids. I, mean, c'mon, does anyone really think guys are worth paying close to two million dollars a game is prudent? I sure as hell don't. but then no one will ask me what I think.:cheers: (as if I care)

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
quibbling over a couple mil
lol couple mil isn't a quibble. We forget the large amount of money that is. 22mil instead of 20mil is a 10% difference. How many of us would settle for 10% less salary then we deserve?

Jorgeh0605

I agree with the message that the cap i pretty irrelevant. I just never heard that teams have the provisions you mentioned in their contracts. I just can't imagine the player not needing to approve it, even if it is in their benefit 99% of the time.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
1 or 2 mil is a huge difference to you or I and would change our lives in a huge way. to AD its just a difference of weather his great-grand kids get 5 or 6 mil way down the road.. AD's life probably doesn't change a bit, just add a zero on the end of the next check. I guess he needs it if he wants to buy a castle or a 747. Or maybe he wants to buy out Disney.

Jorgeh0605

I totally get what your saying. I just think it's a big assumption to believe something like that is written into their contracts (for reasons like the Bradford example you gave). Maybe Chris Long didn't know about it cause his manager took care of it. But, as a player, you would want to be able to control something like that. Especially since a bloated final year of a contract draws ire from fans (regardless of how irrelevant that number actually is).

…..

Legend
Man I dunno....I couldnt be the guy that took food off my team mates table to fatten up my own feast.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man I dunno....I couldnt be the guy that took food off my team mates table to fatten up my own feast.
"Woods and Whitt, I would gladly give you 2 hamburgers each tomorrow, for a hamburger each today" ~ Whimpy Donald

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way these restructurings normally happen is that the team calls the agent, and asks if the player would mind getting his salary early as an additional signing bonus. That is to the player's advantage. I don't know the details yet of these, but Whitworth had an $8 million salary for 2018. Reduce that to $1 million, give him $7 million early amortized over the two years remaining, which means the Rams save $3.5 million in cap room this season (and lose $3.5 million in cap space next season). Whitworth is a team player, but what this restructuring means is that Whitworth gets the money now instead of over 17 weeks this year. It's a no brainer - it benefits him. Similarly for Woods, though it is amortized over 4 years for him.