Which UDFA is most likely to make the team this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Justin Koski
http://cover32.com/rams/2015/06/03/...-make-the-team-this-year/#cmKTwI0jTicyHiRJ.99

USATSI_8198832_164063748_lowres-750x256.jpg

Yesterday, the St. Louis Rams revved up camp and began their Organized Team Activities. It’s a time where rookies and veterans can finally get back on the field after being couped up in the weight room. It’s also a great opportunity to see which newly acquired undrafted free agents can crack the opening day roster.

Since Jeff Fisher arrived in St. Louis, the wily veteran has found quality starters in undrafted rookies. Starting safety Rodney McLeod was once an UFA. Just last year, four UFAs managed to make the team in defensive end Ethan Westbrooks (who beat out Michael Sam), cornerback Marcus Roberson, running back Trey Watts and tight end Alex Bayer.

The big name to watch this year is the defensive tackle from Iowa, Louis Trinca-Pasat. Even after the offseason addition of defensive tackle Nick Fairley, the Rams need depth along their defensive line. Trinca-Pasat can do just that. He isn’t built like the mammoth Michael Brockers, but he is still very effective in space. Standing 6’1”, 290 pounds, the former Hawkeye has good burst and is a relentless pursuer. He may get overwhelmed by more elite guards in the NFL, but will out-hustle just about anyone. He would be a great fit for the Rams’ defensive line.

A less-likely candidate, but no less a physical specimen would be Isiah Ferguson out of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. The 6’5 wide receiver had a great workout during his Pro Day. He ran the 40 in 4.56 and jumped 40” in the vertical. With fellow small school wideout Brian Quick rehabbing from a gruesome shoulder injury last year, Ferguson could catch some eyes with his impressive size. The Rams typically only carry five wide receivers during the season. If he wants to be the sixth receiver, he’s going to need to beat out several of his competitors.

If I had to guess, I’d say Trinca-Pasat has the best chance to make the team in 2015. I wouldn’t count on Ferguson making the team but can see the Rams adding another tall, fast weapon to go up and get the ball for Nick Foles.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know who of the UDFAs makes the team but I will say that Snead and Co. do a pretty good job with this part of the draft...much better than previous regimes especially.

The author played it safe by choosing the Rams top priority UDFA.

I will say Claibourne and Brown.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The fact that watts is suspended for 4 games and the rams shipped out Stacy means Brown has the inside running to make the team.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
My money would be on Trinca-Pasat.

I can't believe the guy wasn't drafted.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Claiborne is definitely the guy I'm looking forward to seeing. I think his aggressiveness and press cover skills are too good to pass up

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My money would be on Trinca-Pasat.

I can't believe the guy wasn't drafted.

Hey @Ramhusker was he that good? IMO, his size did not help him being at 6-1 290lbs and he's a ballyhooed UDFA and there is a need at DT so we'll see how it works out, but based on numbers alone he stands a good chance.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They guy I like who does face an uphill batter is Offensive Tackle from South Florida Darrell Williams. He's a little light at 296lbs so he needs to add some strength, but in his 12 starts at USF he only gave up one sack and is a left tackle.

The Rams truly don't have a back-up LT, in fact, that would be Saffold. So not sure if Williams can make the team, but he does have some upside on the practice squad unlike some of the others in the past like Sean Hooey...Phooey!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Hey @Ramhusker was he that good? IMO, his size did not help him being at 6-1 290lbs and he's a ballyhooed UDFA and there is a need at DT so we'll see how it works out, but based on numbers alone he stands a good chance.
He was projected as high as a 5th rounder by some but his size is his knock. He is a hustler though and finds a way to make tackles in the backfield. If you can put 15 pounds of muscle on him without robbing his quickness, you may have a sneaky good DT.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm betting on Malcolm Brown. For a UDFA they invested quite a pretty penny on him, so they must have really liked what they saw. With Pead and Watts as big question marks with some pretty big nails in their coffin mixed with Brown's ability I think insures him a spot.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Definitely Trinca-Pasat or Brown. Thought both guys would get drafted by the 5th.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If he is as advertized then Imoan Claiborne FS/CB/Nickle-Back has an excellent opportunity to make the 53 player roster.

The interesting DT Louis Trinca-Pasat looks to have an opportunity here also. Nick Fairley can back up both starters Donald & Brockers so its not a big need but we need to remember that Ethan Westbrooks played all four DL positions in TC & pre season. Westbrooks played in 6 regular season games but was seriously hampered due to a badly broken hand.

So I would expect Louis Trinca-Pasat to battle the 6-4 270 pound Westbrooks & Nick Fairley for a spot. Now if William Hayes or Eugene Sim (both of these back up DE's will be UFA's in less than a year)have a bad TC/PS then Louis Trinca-Pasat chances increase greatly where Westbrooks would move to the outside to replace one of the much more expensive older DE's.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say Trinca-Pasat.

Only becauase he's named after a spiffy car! :LOL:

I really don't know much about these guys... obviously, if any of them make the team and actually contribute in any significant way, kudos to Snead for finding the diamond in the rough!!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
A less-likely candidate, but no less a physical specimen would be Isiah Ferguson out of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. The 6’5 wide receiver had a great workout during his Pro Day. He ran the 40 in 4.56 and jumped 40” in the vertical. With fellow small school wideout Brian Quick rehabbing from a gruesome shoulder injury last year, Ferguson could catch some eyes with his impressive size. The Rams typically only carry five wide receivers during the season. If he wants to be the sixth receiver, he’s going to need to beat out several of his competitors.
I noticed Ferguson while perusing their updated roster the other day. I would love to see him earn his way to the 53.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Louis Trinca-Pasat because the Rams gave him a big signing bonus. I don't think any other UDFA makes the roster.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Trinca-Pasat and Claiborne both make the team. We could see one of the RB's if Pead doesn't impress and they decide to part ways with Watts. But those first 2 I think have a very good shot.