Which players were “surprises” on Rams final 53-man roster?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Which players were “surprises” on Rams final 53-man roster?

It’s possible some of these players won’t stick for the next week but for now they are Rams

By Kenneth Arthur
Rams On Demand meet the 6-5 275lbs Mr Eric Banks!
1599355108280.png

Eric Banks didn’t have his name brought up often in the last month. Perhaps the best of those days for Banks was Saturday, when he hasn’t heard his name mentioned as one of the LA Rams final cuts headed into the 2020 season. For all intents and purposes, it seems as though Banks is a member of the Rams, something that seemed unlikely to people outside of the organization as recently as the second before final cuts were announced.
Read: Rams final 53-man roster
Here’s what I wrote about Banks’ football history back in May, when he was working at a Pet and Lawn Supply Store for a summer job:
Banks was an unranked two-star recruit out of Memphis East High School in Memphis, Tennessee in 2016. He was listed as an “athlete” but the reality is much more unusual: Banks was a quarterback for most of his high school career, then transitioned to defensive end by Marcus Wimberly, the head coach. Banks had just transferred from Memphis Academy of Health Sciences and Wimberly saw him as an exceptional athlete who would have a much better shot playing in college if he switched to the d-line.

There are no other offers listed for Banks and he ended up going to UTSA. He was 215 pounds as a high school senior and 275 pounds by the time he finished his college career. Those weren’t the only changes he went through at UTSA, but his production was rather consistent even as Wilson moved him from the edge to the inside during his senior season.
“We put him inside and allowed him to bust nose, and get his nose busted a couple of times, as well,” Wilson said. “Just roughed him up some, and it’s helped his evolution that when he goes back to the end position, he’s that much more physical.”
His defensive line coach as a freshman in 2016 was Eric Henderson, who was hired to work in the same role for the Rams in 2019. Banks 49 career games is a program record. He spent two seasons on the line with former first round pick Marcus Davenport.
Banks was not invited to the combine and didn’t have a pro day. We don’t know his speed and related elements then, but his size comps (around 6’4-6’6, 265-275 pound defensive linemen) are guys like Yetur Gross-Matos and A.J. Epenesa as second round picks this year, plus Khalid Kareem, James Smith-Williams, and Jason Strowbridge, all of whom were drafted.
With veteran A’Shawn Robinson starting the season on NFI, keeping him out for at least six weeks, Banks may have been able to secure a spot on the final roster over two other undrafted free agent rookies and Marquise Copeland. The Rams obviously didn’t want to try and sneak Banks onto the practice squad, or maybe they thought they couldn’t.
It looks as though Banks will be on the team in Week 1 when few expected it. He’s not the only surprise to make it through Saturday.

Trishton Jackson, WR
It was tough to know which young receivers were standing out, but Jackson got some work on returns and coaches did note him to the media at least a couple of times. Here’s some of what I wrote about the UDFA rookie from Syracuse:
At the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine, Jackson measured in at 6’1, 191 pounds, 32.4” arms, and 9.75” hands. He ran a 4.5 in the 40-yard dash, had a 36” vertical, and a 117” broad jump. Consider these three receiver measurements at the combine:
Brandon Aiyuk, 6’, 205 pounds, 4.5 40-yard dash, 40” vertical, 128” broad, 25th overall
CeeDee Lamb, 6’2, 198 pounds, 4.5 40-yard dash, 34.5” vertical, 124” broad, 17th overall
Trishton Jackson, 6’1, 190 pounds, 4.5 40-yard dash, 36” vertical, 117” broad, undrafted
Jackson would start off as the number six receiver, you’d think, but we don’t necessarily know what kind of impact Nsimba Webster or Van Jefferson will have on offense to open the year. In any case, this seems to be a special teams move and to see what can develop from him as a receiver given his athletic attributes.
Jachai Polite, LB
Polite was the 68th overall pick in 2019 but didn’t make the New York Jets final roster. He was on the Seattle Seahawks shortly and then went to the Rams practice squad. For now it appears he’s made a final roster for the first time.
Xavier Jones, RB
Less surprising given Darrell Henderson’s current injury situation. Henderson made the final roster with no injury designations though and Jones may or may head to the practice squad eventually. Him staying became more likely as the days went on without Henderson practicing.

It may also be surprising to some that Coleman Shelton, Tremayne Anchrum and Brian Allen made it on as offensive line depth but at the moment the team has no other options. They may change their minds once they get a full look at whose available but it is unlikely that you’ll see any quality linemen let go by their teams these days given how hard it can be to find one.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
None really since we couldn't watch practices or scrimmages and there weren't any preseason games. Glad to see we signed 3 UDFA though it seems like we do at least a couple every year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eric Banks is listed as 230 lb DL'er on the Rams official site since his name was entered. Banks will also have to get a new Ram uniform number too. His just happens to belong to Rob Havenstein.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eric Banks is listed as 230 lb DL'er on the Rams official site since his name was entered. Banks will also have to get a new Ram uniform number too. His just happens to belong to Rob Havenstein.
I'd imagine he's one of those edge/de guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Polite just might have his shit together, how nice is that for him and for us. (y)

Banks came out of nowhere but talk about a good thing holy crap. (y)

And Jackson making this roster as a wideout, I figured he'd be a cut which means he definitely impressed McVay. (y)

Really excited for these dudes. Hope they make the most of it. :beer2::cool:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lookin at his pic there's no way that dude is 230.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Polite just might have his shit together, how nice is that for him and for us. (y)

And Jackson making this roster as a wideout, I figured he'd be a cut which means he definitely impressed McVay. (y)

Snead & McVay going HD on offense was different. 4 RB's 6 WR's & 4 TE's......

Trishton Jackson was a big surprise for me. I see no need for 6 wideouts in 2020 when you have 4 RB & 4 TE's however with the fact that 2 wideouts have a high probability of departing along with the Rams top 2017 draft pick & offensive weapon Everett I can see that this decision could prove to be very smart.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Trishton Jackson was a big surprise for me. I see no need for 6 wideouts in 2020 when you have 4 RB & 4 TE's however with the fact that 2 wideouts have a high probability of departing along with the Rams top 2017 draft pick & offensive weapon Everett I can see that this decision could prove to be very smart.
Agreed but also when it comes to the WR and TE positions McVay is on a different plane. He knows what he wants. And lastly don't discount Jackson showing a bit on returns. (y)

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

A couple of those guys could get bumped by waiver pick ups. Granted, we have an open spot, but they could grab a few guys.

Maybe a 5th CB, a vet LB, or a C with more upside than Allen.

Would be cool if they grabbed a legit FB, but if they were not using one in camp I can't see them adding a guy now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He never did it that I can see in college but he could be the return man. I don't recall many comments on who was doing it in the scrimmages.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Glad that Polite made the roster. He has sky-high potential, and him making the roster means that he likely is in a better spot than he was last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A couple of those guys could get bumped by waiver pick ups. Granted, we have an open spot, but they could grab a few guys.

Maybe a 5th CB, a vet LB, or a C with more upside than Allen.

Would be cool if they grabbed a legit FB, but if they were not using one in camp I can't see them adding a guy now.
I think Mundt will be our FB.

Also I like that they cut down to 52 to save a spot for a pickup. There's gonna be some guys out there who teams missed on in bigger numbers than usual.

Ram65

Legend
So the Rams D Line coach was also Bank's coach in college. Reminds me of Demby's coach in college being a Rams assistant line coach or something like that. Good for Banks a former QB. He is a surprise.

I've been a Polite supporter so I'm glad he is still on the roster. Not surprised.

T JacK gets the nod as the 6th WR. Hard to say it's a surprise as we didn't see practice/scrimmage. The possibility of losing both Kupp and Reynolds makes developing another WR a bit of a priority. He has good physical numbers and scored 11 TDs his last year in college.

There can still be more moves so some could end up on the PS.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
T JacK gets the nod as the 6th WR. Hard to say it's a surprise as we didn't see practice/scrimmage. The possibility of losing both Kupp and Reynolds makes developing another WR a bit of a priority. He has good physical numbers and scored 11 TDs his last year in college.

There can still be more moves so some could end up on the PS.

I would guess Jackson is likely the backup returner, but apparently he is also good enough to make it at WR. He's got speed and hops. In any event it's good to have a couple of fast, athletic guys like Webster and Jackson at WR. You never know, they may get a chance to make some big plays for us this year.

Last edited:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I'm surprised Nick Scott beat out a 5th corner. So we have 5 safety's and 4 CBs. He must be really important to special teams.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This time of year I always wonder why there aren’t players who double on offense and defense... especially fringe players who could maybe be a 6th WR/ CB for example. Seems like it would benefit the player and the team. Maybe its too difficult but these guys are all world class athletes so I dont see why it’s not more common.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm surprised Nick Scott beat out a 5th corner. So we have 5 safety's and 4 CBs. He must be really important to special teams.
I recall reading multiple reports of him making plays on defense. I suspect they liked him as depth too.

And if they sub as much as anticipated the safety group will be supporting ILB so much that it makes sense to keep the safety.