Which OL position concerns you most this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm going to use a process of elimination to determine my answer. It goes without saying that there are reasons to be concerned about all 5 positions, but which one position is most concerning?

I think GRob at LT will make big advances in his 2nd year. Already a fine run blocker, his pass pro technique should be much improved this year. I expect him to demonstrate why he was picked at #2 overall. Low worry level for me here.

I think Saffold at LG will have a Pro Bowl worthy year after his successful shoulder surgery. Even playing hurt all last year he started and played in all 16 games. Low worry level for me there.

I think Hav at RT will quickly adapt to the NFL. He can be given some TE help, if needed, early on until he gets acclimated. By game 5 or so I believe he will prove to be an upgrade over Barksdale. Pretty low worry level for me there.

I think Reynolds will likely be our RG on opening day. Not a top drawer OG, but plenty adequate and very experienced. I project that one of Brown, Donnal, Wichmann, or maybe even Jones will claim the position soon. Maybe by game 5, or so. Too many promising youngsters competing for that position to give me big worries.

Which brings me to the C position. Notice that I've listed these in order of my increased concern? I just don't know enough about this group of Barnes, Jones, and Rhaney in terms of NFL starter readiness. I DO know that the coaches didn't lift a finger in either FA or the draft to address this position. That indicates that they feel very confident about this trio, at least to me. Still, until proven otherwise, C is the position that concerns me most until I've seen them play with my own eyes. Call this a medium worry level position for me.

In summary, we will have 3 new starters on our OL this year, one way or another. And GRob with his whopping 12 games of NFL experience, not all of which was at LT. Plus Saffold returning from shoulder surgery. Whew!

Yet despite all the above, I would estimate my overall worry level at only maybe Defcon 4. But you can be sure I'll be focused on the camp reports and preseason games for OL play like a mama grizzly watching her new cubs. Lol.

Of course, some opinions may vary...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Really not concerned with just one position on the line but I got my fingers crossed that we can stay healthy. If we can keep our starters healthy I think we will be pleasantly surprised at how good our O-line can be.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
LG (assuming Saffold plays his better position in RG)

I'm not sold on any of the potential starters there for Week 1. Brown is raw and technically unrefined, Donnal needs a lot of help physically before he can compete, not a fan of Reynolds at all beyond depth. I think given time, they could be great. Just concerns me for the moment.

Not at all concerned about the center position. Big fan of Jones. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm not convinced that Saffold is locked in at LG.

That said, I'm not concerned about any position given that it's the play of the group that matters most to me.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Saffold at RG equals him at his best plus making Havenstein (or whoever plays at RT) better. At LG he may help Robinson but his own play isn't maxed out in my view. He helps the centre whichever side he plays on.

On the basis that I'm assuming he plays RG then I guess my answer is centre with LG close behind.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm with @Lumber Tubs on this one! to me it makes the most sense!!

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Saffold at RG equals him at his best plus making Havenstein (or whoever plays at RT) better. At LG he may help Robinson but his own play isn't maxed out in my view. He helps the centre whichever side he plays on.

On the basis that I'm assuming he plays RG then I guess my answer is centre with LG close behind.
I agree that Saffold should be at RG his best position. My hope is Jones wins the LG position and Barnes at center till Rhaney is ready.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Unless the Rams add a veteran like Justin Blalock IMO they will keep Saffold on the left side for the development of GROB. Garrett Reynolds will be at the top of the depth chart at RG, but I'm confident that Jamon Brown will be starting the season as the RG with Havenstein at RT.

Now if the preseason unfolds to make the Rams feel differently then they will act, but I'm feeling good about Brown. Now at Center that is pretty easy IMO. Barrett Jones can start with a great OTA & Training Camp along with preseason and never look back, however, if he again gets hurt then look for Rhaney to be given every opportunity, but if all else fails then Barnes, which might be just fine as IMO, he's an upgrade over Wells.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, the center position is my biggest concern. If we have issues here it will throw off the cohesiveness of the entire line regardless of who we lineup.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

That said, I'm not concerned about any position given that it's the play of the group that matters most to me.

I'm not "convinced" Saffold can even stay healthy for 16 straight games...I'm also concerned that the entire OL will remain unstable and in flux throughout the coming season.....I could use a bit of your optimism right now. :cautious:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think Saffold at LG will have a Pro Bowl worthy year
I like Saff, like a bunch of others as a RG & it seems to be his best position.

I think Reynolds will likely be our RG on opening day.
Whew, this made me nervous just thinking about another FA starting at OL...

Like many, I see the center position being the most worrisome. I also have concerns about LG....But I'm confident between Brown, Wichmann, and Donnal we'll have a decent starter. I like Wichmann the best right now. Mainly because he was a guard in college the majority of the time, and he's the strongest. Although I won't mind Brown starting either....May the most powerful guy win...
Barrett Jones has me in "show me" mode...I'll keep my eyes on Rhaney & Barnes in that center battle.