Where Rams Rank in Popularity: #23 in NFL/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Where Rams rank in popularity
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7315/from-538-where-rams-rank-in-popularity

Over at partner site FiveThirtyEight, founder and editor in chief Nate Silver posted an interesting look at the relative popularity of North American professional sports teams on a worldwide scale.

Using Google searches as the main tool for measuring how much people care about their teams, Silver and Ritchie King ranked the teams from the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, Canadian Football League and Liga MX, Mexico's top professional soccer league.

In Friday's rankings, Silver put all of the top teams onto a list and compared and contrasted their Google search popularity. The two teams at the top should come as no surprise: the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. The Dallas Cowboys are the first NFL team to appear on the list, checking in at No. 3 overall.

Down the list quite a bit is the St. Louis Rams. The Rams come in at No. 51 overall, following closely behind the Atlanta Falcons, who sit at No. 50.

On Wednesday, Silver and King broke it down by sport, giving fans a look at relative popularity of the teams within their respective sport. For that exercise, teams were judged based on how many searches they received compared to the league average.

As Silver points out, there is quite a bit of parity in the distribution of interest in the NFL. That isn't surprising given the universal love and attention the league as a whole garners. In comparing the NFL to the other sports, there's not nearly the big drop-off from the top team (Dallas) to the one at the bottom (Jacksonville) as the other leagues.

In terms of just NFL teams, the Rams sit at No. 23, behind the Falcons and ahead of the Bengals.

It's no surprise to see the Rams in that range. In fact, considering the team's struggles over the past decade, that's actually a pretty representative performance. But as I can attest from doing chats and such, there's no doubt that the team's continued strong following in Los Angeles combined with the hometown fans in St. Louis keep interest in the team relatively high even though the results haven't been there to drive those numbers up.

If and when the Rams ever get back in the playoff mix, I'd expect their popularity to grow as it did when they were one of the league's hottest teams during the days of the "Greatest Show on Turf."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here is the NFL breakdown from the article.

Yeah, I'm surprised the Rams ranked as well as they did. The Vikes position sort of surprises me too.

image.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Wonder where they were during the GSOT?

I was thinking the same.

Also, where were the Seahawks on this list 2yrs ago? Definitely not favourites with team apparel as ugly as theirs is.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Not even sure what this list really represents considering how well the Raiders placed. Their attendance being the worst but internet interest being pretty high doesn't seem to correlate.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Raiders waaaaayyyyyy up there for not having a winning season in 10 years or so.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So the Rams' apparel is holding them back?

The appeal of the apparel is only one factor.

But, yeah, I'd argue their gear is generally more attractive. Rams need some help with design!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Maybe Rams fans use Bing or Yahoo search much more than Google...hmm?

The Cowbores are #1? The freak show that is Jerry Jones and the continual Tony Romo fail must be like trying not to watch an accident. You can't take your eyes off it.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The appeal of the apparel is only one factor.

But, yeah, I'd argue their gear is generally more attractive. Rams need some help with design!
All black with a Raiders logo isn't really much along the lines of design. I think you just have to tip your hat to Raiders fans for being interested in their team even through the hard times.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
All black with a Raiders logo isn't really much along the lines of design. I think you just have to tip your hat to Raiders fans for being interested in their team even through the hard times.

You could be right.

I just think their colours and logo have a more general appeal. Black is popular. The logo is sort of a tough guy look.

The Rams need to shed the awkward gold.

thumb.aspx

51-42202-F.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Using Google searches as the main tool for measuring how much people care about their teams

I think that's a pretty flawed measuring stick. I rarely use Google to find out anything about the Rams, I already have my sources bookmarked. What about you guys?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think if you just talk helmet popularity, the Rams sky rocket up the rankings.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I thought the Skins would be #1 with all the hype surrounding one of the WORST teams in the league last year. Thanks for the high pick, Washington(y)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Eight of the bottom nine teams haven't won a Super Bowl. Shocker.

moklerman

Warner-phile
You could be right.

I just think their colours and logo have a more general appeal. Black is popular. The logo is sort of a tough guy look.

The Rams need to shed the awkward gold.
So, there's a lot of tough guys out there doing Google searches? I don't think the Rams need to shed any colors. Notre Dame doesn't have any trouble moving merchandise and they have the exact same colors.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So, there's a lot of tough guys out there doing Google searches? I don't think the Rams need to shed any colors. Notre Dame doesn't have any trouble moving merchandise and they have the exact same colors.

Good point. (y)