Where Jake Long fits among left tackles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/95453/where-jake-long-fits-among-left-tackles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ft-tackles</a>

The St. Louis Rams have scheduled an introductory news conference for Thursday featuring recently signed left tackle Jake Long.

Long's addition gives the NFC West three left tackles with Pro Bowl experience. Long is a four-time Pro Bowl choice in five NFL seasons. The San Francisco 49ers' Joe Staley has earned Pro Bowl honors each of the past two seasons. The Seattle Seahawks' Russell Okung made his Pro bowl debut following the 2012 season.

None of the three is older than 28.

Long, Staley, Okung and Arizona Cardinals left tackle Levi Brown were all first-round draft choices. Brown was once named an alternate to the Pro Bowl. His new coach, Bruce Arians, has called Brown "elite" -- counter to general perceptions that Brown has not lived up to expectations since entering the NFL as the fifth overall choice in 2007.

All four NFC West left tackles are making a good living. The chart ranks their current contracts by guaranteed money. I've also included average per year, average for the first three years and 2013 salary-cap charges. The three-year averages can be telling because they sometimes represent what a player is likely to receive, whereas the per-year average can be inflated if a deal is heavily back-loaded. Guaranteed money is king, of course.

I would rank Okung and Staley as the best left tackles in the division right now. Long has the potential to be as good or better than both if he can regain the good health that helped him dominate during his first three seasons in the league. Brown would rank fourth based on his overall consistency.

LzCFe8d.png

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
That settles it! When I grow up I want to be a LT.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can't disagree with Sando on this.

That said; It's funny how people forget just how good Long was prior the "banged up" seasons.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I have a hard time believing Long "has the potential to be as good" as either of those players. When healthy he's well ahead of them in ability. He's been to the probowl more than anyone else combined. And yet he only has the 'potential' to be as good as them.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
bluecoconuts said:
I have a hard time believing Long "has the potential to be as good" as either of those players. When healthy he's well ahead of them in ability. He's been to the probowl more than anyone else combined. And yet he only has the 'potential' to be as good as them.

I was thinking that too. How good he's been has always been based on his health. As far as I know he's been through all the tests and the doctors say he's good to go.

jap

Legend
bluecoconuts said:

. . . plus, he gets to work with the professor par excellence of OL coaches, Dr. Bou, who will be sure to get Jake to maximize his production. :ww:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
CGI_Ram said:
I can't disagree with Sando on this.

That said; It's funny how people forget just how good Long was prior the "banged up" seasons.
Plus, he was trying to play a zone scheme which he was just not as good in. Here he'll go back to the man scheme. I expect a good year out of him this year.