Where does Mo Alexander fit?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Is he just a ST ace and back up Safety? Can he play FS and play Single High effectively? He seems to be a great athlete who moves better than you would normally think for a 6'1 210 plus guy. What say you guys?

I'd still like McLeod resigned also though. Really happy with his progression through the last half of the year. He will be cheap and he's durable and still ascending IMO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm gonna share a rather unpopular opinion but I think he got supplanted by Barron (Mo is strictly a SS type). It seems that the 3-safety look is here to stay with Williams. I think there was hope that Mo would come in and develop, think he had an injury that set him back in camp. Think he needs time. Maybe if he develops we end up letting Barron walk (hefty price to rent him for two seasons) or even TJ someday. He's a good backup to have and if he continues his work on ST it wouldn't be the worst 4th round pick you could have made. I'd like to mix sports metaphors so I'd say he's a single right now when we really could have used a double out of a 4th round pick.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
OLB maybe? Dunbars replacement in 4-3 packages? No clue. Def not taking over Barron or McMissles spots and not even near ready for a FS role.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with WestCoast. When Barron came aboard Mos development was no longer a rush job. The Rams can wait on him to catch up to NFL speed now.

Remember though, that the third Safety/LBer hybrid position is very important to Fisher. When asked how angry he would be if the Rams had not drafted Mo, he said 'Bobby Wagner mad'. He really wanted Mo for a specific purpose. Having depth at that spot is a good thing. Hopefully Mo can work in at both SS spots next season and get experience in cas someone goes down to injury.

jjab360

Legend
I think he was supposed to play the role that Barron was playing late last year. For the immediate future, he's a STs stud but it's hard to see how he gets on the field much with the Mcdonald-Mcleod-Barrron combo.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Let's see how he develops and then figure out how to use him. I know some guys come right out of college at full speed - but that's not the norm - especially for a guy who didn't have 4 continuous years at the same position in college.

V3

Hall of Fame
IMO, he was way overdrafted. He's a ST'er with the possibility of maybe one day playing SS but since we really don't need that, who knows. I wouldn't mind him putting on some more weight and moving to OLB but that's not going to happen.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Outside linebacker. If Bates can play linebacker at his size, so too can Mo.

Athos

Legend
And overdraft imo, especially when you go out and trade for Barron. Effectively spending a 4th, 5th, and 6th on the exact same player, only difference being one is most certainly more polished.

These are the types of picks that frustrate me sometimes with Snisher.

At any rate, I'd say he's without a position with Barron on roster. STer, safety sub in a pinch.

May be wise to convert him to some kind of LBer role.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I know he was converted from OLB. I think he's plenty capable of transitioning to that role if need be. Nothing wrong with drafting big athletic defenders with the ability to play a couple of positions. Too soon to call him a waste after year 1.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He was probably going to play the role Barron does now, but this allows us to have some flexibility. He's a ST ace and backup right now and if anything happened to Barron or TJ, Mo could step right into the same role. I think there's a plan for him, but we don't know what it is yet. Gregg Williams will get the best use out of him whatever it is.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Unfortunately, like Joesph, he can't play guard so not there where we need some one desperately!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We could keep Mo, and maybe Draft someone like Shaq Thomas out of Washington. ( 6'2/230/4.5 40 yard dash. Plays Safety-LB-RB !)

WestCoastRam

Legend
Were you guys expecting a starter in the 4th round? Honestly, I think the benchmark for 4th round talent is spot-starter with special teams ability. He's not quite that but it's about what you'd want. If you get a starter out of a 4th rounder, that's amazing but highly unlikely. I can't agree with saying he was overdrafted unless you want to say that he should have been picked lower in the 4th or top of the 5th.

Big Willie

Starter
He is a STeamer in 2015 and then takes over the hybrid role from Barron in 2016 if the Rams cannot resign him. Otherwise he becomes quality depth and insurance (assuming he develops) should McDonald or Barron get hurt.