When Wade retires, I want Weddle as DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Weddle is to the ‘19 Rams what Aeneas Williams was to the ‘01 squad. Grizzled, Intelligent, and Efficient. But that’s not why I want him to succeed Wade.

weddle changes games in real time based on his pre-snap reads. He relays Wade’s plays in the huddle and changes both scheme and assignment frequently when he sees the called defense has a hole. His previous teammates left him alone to do better than the OC playcall.

I simply believe he both knows the system, players, and schemes better than most coaches and understands Wade’s system very well. When he retires, I want him on the D coaching staff.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Weddle is to the ‘19 Rams what Aeneas Williams was to the ‘01 squad. Grizzled, Intelligent, and Efficient. But that’s not why I want him to succeed Wade.

weddle changes games in real time based on his pre-snap reads. He relays Wade’s plays in the huddle and changes both scheme and assignment frequently when he sees the called defense has a hole. His previous teammates left him alone to do better than the OC playcall.

I simply believe he both knows the system, players, and schemes better than most coaches and understands Wade’s system very well. When he retires, I want him on the D coaching staff.

I could go with that.

Weddle does seem smaller than I remember...I’ve gotten used to bigger Safeties.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Id like to keep Weddle through next season and let him teach JJ and Rapp all that he can. Once he retires I wouldn't mind Weddle coming in and coaching the secondary if he wanted to.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A bold move making him OC over McVay. I think he’ll be a DB coach or just a safeties coach at first.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Joe Berry will definitely get consideration when Wade hangs em up. Aubrey Pleasant will probably get a promotion too.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
OP, I think you mean DC. Either way, implementing and creating a play book is very different. Depends on if he is as good at creating as he is adjusting.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sans the Tampa and Balt games, Wade is doing great.
I'm not ready to give him up.

Plus, he finally has his man coverage CBs.

In addition, I doubt Weddle jumps straight to DC for any team, without being a position coach first.

Has anyone heard anything from Weddle about wanting to coach after he retires?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We are lucky to have Wade as our DC. Not only is he a great teacher, but he also does a great job keeping McVay grounded.

Get that dude the right pieces and you'll see something.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joe Berry will definitely get consideration when Wade hangs em up. Aubrey Pleasant will probably get a promotion too.

Joe Berry?
giphy.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d interview Chis Richard if Wade does retire. That’s after Dallas cleans house.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I wonder if Shula would be the guy?

Coaches LBs and that unit seems to be able to develop players and excel.

A little young, but look at our HC.

Chris Shula

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Joe Berry seems great in enthusiasm, demeanor, etc., but has a terrible record as DC in Detroit and Wash.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade is fine.

No need to replace him.
The discussion centers around this being the last year of his contract not just replacing him. He'll be 73 before the 2020 season starts. He may just hang it up finally.

Ram65

Legend
If Weddle wants to coach he should start out as a DB assistant.

If Wade retires do the Rams keep his exact defense? It's interesting that he has been using four down lineman at times. I would like to see a bigger NT. Rams will have to replace Brockers. Fowler's and Littleton's returns are questionable. I hope Wade stays for a couple more years. It would be nice to know the Rams have a plan and what it is when he decides to retire.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Aubrey Pleasant has been my hope, once Wade moves on. I think he relates & communicates at a high level.