Whats With Nfl Gms Being Defined Differently W/every Team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
When you go from team to team, the GM doesn't have the same role with every team.

Snead with us is strictly in charge of the team as far as personnel...and he even has Fisher doing a lot of that. And Demoff is running the organization.

Other GMs have even more reduced roles and some are in charge from top to bottom.

Now, when you look at baseball GMs they seem to all be about the same across every team and they seem to actually be a true General Manager in the sense they are managing the whole organization.

When you look at John Mozeliak of the Cardinals he is involved with building the team, ticketing, all the way down to the minor leagues. It almost seems like a baseball GM is more important.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Not being a smartass! NFL owners are more controlling since they have restrictions baseball doesn't. Salary cap being # 1. B-ball gm's aren't handcuffed that way, for the most part. NFL minor leagues are paid for by the colleges!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's an interesting post.

Football front offices have many different structures. I guess it's up to the owner how he wants the roles and control sliced up.

I like our structure. More team-like, less tsar-like.

jap

Legend
Not being a smartass! NFL owners are more controlling since they have restrictions baseball doesn't. Salary cap being # 1. B-ball gm's aren't handcuffed that way, for the most part. NFL minor leagues are paid for by the colleges!

Yeah, the colleges are the NFL slave pool. I don't see why they simply don't just pay the college students some kind of work study compensation for their labor. After all, they generate a lot of media revenue for the colleges.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Well, in our case, Fisher had a strong track record of success, and he was given the power, before Snead was even hired. In other cases where it's a first time coach, you want the GM to run things a little bit more. Would anyone have wanted Linehan having Fisher's power and pull? I thought not.