What's the edge case for the cap going up like it has?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Cap exploded about 10 mil more than what teams were expecting today.

Of course, all teams get the same additional cap so at first glance, it doesn't really seem like that shifts anyone's strategy much in FA... or does it?

Where's the edge here? Is it in players we currently have like Boom who might get cut otherwise? Is it in FA, but going after a top prospect? Is there no edge to be had at all when all teams have the same larger than expected cap increase.

Who's a quant, who wants to do this shit?

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
There is no edge. It just means all teams have more money to throw around and players will get paid even more.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah we're discussing it here...
Mostly it just softens the blow from old contracts like you said. Doesn't really help future contracts as position averages will just go up proportionally. So

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is no edge. It just means all teams have more money to throw around and players will get paid even more.

Mostly it just softens the blow from old contracts like you said. Doesn't really help future contracts as position averages will just go up proportionally. So
I think @Psycho_X is right here.

And I think there's probably some edge case benefit for teams wanting to pay for a star FA talent which we probably weren't. It might change our strategy that we try to sign someone on the 1st day or 1st wave that we wouldn't have otherwise. We all get more money but the money going up may affect how teams are willing to allocate it.

I think if you have a lot of cap room, it probably gives you more flexibility in your strategy of how to allocate FA moneys vs those with little cap room gain some flexibility but not as much.

The gain is the flexibility of how to allocate. That I think is the edge case.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
At best it helps those teams that had less than $15M or so. Now they got some breathing room.

For the Rams, everyone's price tag just went up. Now maybe they change strategy and decide they can go after one big time first wave guy, since this means more cap room in 25' and beyond as well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What needs to be understood here is that the cap increase was to pay back a shortage from previous. This wouldnt be an increase that can be expected to happen again
Could see the cap in '25 not rise at all

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Cap exploded about 10 mil more than what teams were expecting today.

Of course, all teams get the same additional cap so at first glance, it doesn't really seem like that shifts anyone's strategy much in FA... or does it?

Where's the edge here?
It's not the amount of money you have. It's what you do with the money. That's the edge. Teams that use their money wisely, just got 10 mil more to use. I think that benefits the wise ones (Rams). The dumbasses will simply have 10 mil more to waste.

muggmeister

Rookie
It helps the teams in cap hell more than anything. Just because teams have an additional $10M in cap room doesn't necessarily mean all free agent contracts will go up 13% as well, but I could be wrong.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I will say the higher cap probably did help get Robinson done. His asking price isn't huge, but $5M is significant enough if they only have $32M of cap room.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Will the unexpected increase encourage teams to use the franchise tag? Franchising the edge rushers that are about to hit the open market?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Oh that’s likely to happen. I dunno if the Chargers still release Mack or between Mack and Bosa, they rework the deals to keep them both. They may only have to release Mack.

No way either team let’s go of Allen or Burns now, even with draft picks.

Danielle Hunter’s and Khalil Mack’s price tags just went way up.

A few RBs might even get paid.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Yeah that was crazy. Cap exploded like nvidea!

happy turn up GIF by FilmStruck

oldnotdead

Legend
Just re-signing the Ram's own guys will eat up most if not all of the free cap. That's why they are going to have to make a move with at least one of Havenstein and or Noteboom if they want to sign a FA At the very least they will do a minor restructure with Joe's contract because he does provide good depth.

A lot hinges on Shelton and Dotson. They could sign both to a kick the can down the road type of extension. Remember it is all about the guaranteed $$$. This expanded increase will make it so that they can keep Havenstein right where he is for one more year. The fact they haven't done something with Noteboom isn't a good sign in regards to Dotson. He would be their primary option at RG if they can't sign Kevin to an extension. McClendon would be in the mix but they would need to see him at OTAs first. The signing of Bruss as an OT also brings the extension of Dotson into question. If Joe moves to RG they will need a swing OT. McClendon might be able to play RT (that's a big MAYBE) but his feet are too slow for LT.

IMO Dotson is waiting to see what kind of offers he gets once he's officially a FA. This would seem that he's not overly motivated to stay in LA and will go to the highest guaranteed money. The Rams aren't going to bust their cap for him. They will use Noteboom or McClendon as a bridge and draft an OG. I can see them offering as much as $9M/yr which is a lot for a RG who has played at that level only once in his career. More than that would be a real dice roll. Dotson will be 28 this year and IMO that works against him with the Rams. IMO he's looking like a 2025 4th or 5th round comp pick.