What's the Deal with Isaiah Battle?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why isn't he playing? Is he in the doghouse or just that bad?
By Sean Wilkinson @Papa_Lurch Aug 14, 2016, 6:03p

Most of the players who didn't play yesterday were not noteworthy. But there is one name that is a bit more concerning.

After selecting Battle in the 5th round of the 2015 supplemental draft - using their 2016 5th round pick - and making him the highest paid practice squad player in the NFL, there has been silence on the Battle front (sorry for the bad pun... I couldn't resist).

Then there's this from a press conference after an ugly 37-13 W loss to the Bearsin Week 10 last season.

(On bringing T Isaiah Battle up to the active roster)

"From a conditioning standpoint and a lower body strength and overall strength standpoint, he’s much further ahead than he was when he got here. He wasn’t in good shape when he got here for obvious reasons, of supplemental and so we had to get him in shape. He’s done a really good job in the weight room. He has a much better feel for what we’re doing. He’s got really long arms. He’s athletic. So, I spoke with him today. He’s a snap away from playing."
"He’s a snap away from playing."..........

So why didn't he play, coach? Battle ended the 2015 season as a member of the 53 man roster, yet there were a handful of players not around last year that played instead of Battle.

So what gives? Is it an unannounced injury? Poor play? The infamous Jeff Fisher dog house? Jedi mind tricks?

Given the status he enjoys from the front office you'd think that he would play before the likes of Jordan Swindle and Pace Murphy.

Even if Fisher plans to store him on the practice squad for another season, that still begs the question of why he isn't getting...yanno.....practice.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8...s-preseason-isaiah-battle-why-no-playing-time

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought I missed something like Battle got hurt, however, Battle was filling in for Havenstein and the rotation at RT minus Havenstein was, Saffold, Andrew Donnal & Jordan Swindle...Did Battle have a woman in his room and was it something else?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Curious to hear about this one myself. I don't have major concerns with the depth, but Battle should/could be vying for a starting spot this time a year or two from now.

A lost 5th rounder isn't the greatest upset in the world, but this guy was billed as having 1st round talent. It'd be nice to at least get some competition.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Why isn't he playing? Is he in the doghouse or just that bad?
By Sean Wilkinson @Papa_Lurch Aug 14, 2016, 6:03p

Most of the players who didn't play yesterday were not noteworthy. But there is one name that is a bit more concerning.

After selecting Battle in the 5th round of the 2015 supplemental draft - using their 2016 5th round pick - and making him the highest paid practice squad player in the NFL, there has been silence on the Battle front (sorry for the bad pun... I couldn't resist).

Then there's this from a press conference after an ugly 37-13 W loss to the Bearsin Week 10 last season.

(On bringing T Isaiah Battle up to the active roster)

"From a conditioning standpoint and a lower body strength and overall strength standpoint, he’s much further ahead than he was when he got here. He wasn’t in good shape when he got here for obvious reasons, of supplemental and so we had to get him in shape. He’s done a really good job in the weight room. He has a much better feel for what we’re doing. He’s got really long arms. He’s athletic. So, I spoke with him today. He’s a snap away from playing."
"He’s a snap away from playing."..........

So why didn't he play, coach? Battle ended the 2015 season as a member of the 53 man roster, yet there were a handful of players not around last year that played instead of Battle.

So what gives? Is it an unannounced injury? Poor play? The infamous Jeff Fisher dog house? Jedi mind tricks?

Given the status he enjoys from the front office you'd think that he would play before the likes of Jordan Swindle and Pace Murphy.

Even if Fisher plans to store him on the practice squad for another season, that still begs the question of why he isn't getting...yanno.....practice.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8...s-preseason-isaiah-battle-why-no-playing-time

Not sure why Battle did not play.....but just listened to Fisher's presser.
Battle should be ready for action next week. so..... I don't know.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure why Battle did not play.....but just listened to Fisher's presser.
Battle should be ready for action next week. so..... I don't know.

None of us know what's happening behind the scenes. This is typical tst tripe.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Keep calm and chive on, or some bullshit like that. Never did understand all the hot fucking chicks and KCCO. Talk about a cult following.

Battle onward!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Battle is dinged up. Listen to Fishers recent presser dated 2016/08/14. A reporter asks about Gaines and if he'll be healthy enough to play this week. Fisher says yes, and so will Battle. He must have got hurt during camp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is one of those cases where Fish drives me nuts. He just gives the media nothing substantial, and the dude is always misdirecting them so they run with stories only to find out later it's something else. It's why I don't trust much that he says to them, because he's usually dishin BS.

Anyway. I suspect Williams has surpassed him on the depth chart. Will be one of those positions where it'll be good to see who comes out with that second team. The obvious others will be the OG positions when Havenstein is back at RT... I'm thinkin Wichmann/Saffold with the first team and Brown/Reynolds with the second but that second team might have a surprise in store as this group gets healthy and we start to see who's slotting where.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The last I heard was Isaiah Battle has had a trio of nagging small injuries he was dealing with nothing for of much concern. It has provided the two UDFA rookie OT's much more time in the field of play. Pace Murphy @ OLT & Jordan Swindle @ ORT. Surprisingly both of these rookie performed very well.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/11/making-the-cut-offensive-tackle-pace-murphy/
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1995660/jordan-swindle

I thought that Darrell Williams has a few problems out there @ OLT but Andrew Donnal was much better than what we saw last season. Donnal may really be the OL'er who has used this time to gain on Battle @ ORT while he has been down. Murphy has been seen behind Robinson & Williams as the 3rd OLT through-out TC. Battle is pure 2 position OL'er (left & right) thus far in TC, whereas Donnal has is primarily a 3 position OL'er [LG/RT/RG] who has played OLT in his past too.

I will be looking forward to seeing Battle this pre season. I sure would like him to develop into a very good swing OT for this team in the future.

Ramzee

Rookie
From my point of view at camp, I felt like Battle was having some pretty good days out there. Playing a lot with the 2's at both RT and LT. He's even got some time with the 1's. Glad to hear the injury isn't serious. He could make some great depth. He won't be too far down the depth chart this year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Andrew Donnal looked good at RT. Its obvious he took the strength and conditioning program serious in the off season. Its also obvious he knows how to play RT. (his positon @ Iowa). Donnal made a strong case for himself Saturday. His improvement impressed me almost as much as GRob's. Donnal really looked comfortable out there.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Donnal looked tragic last year. Him looking decent to even good now is a great development.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I'd laugh if Battle had a woman in his dorm room.

"Isaiah, what part of no visitors in the dorm room did I not make clear? You're lucky I spent a draft pick on you or you'd be gone."