What you think of Wade's Nickel?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What do you think of this Wade Nickle defense? I was hoping that others had some comments pro or cons on this subject. After watching the previous Rams DC & the total failure of his Nickle & Dime defenses time after time I can not help myself in getting :yay:over this new Nickle.

I have not heard many members discuss too much here about what we have seen in the four pre season games & our first regular season game. What I have seen Wade do thus far is the constant utilization of 4 LB'ers, 3 safeties, two DL'ers & 2 Corners. Wade will use 2 of his 4 LB'ers down in the 3 point with 2 DL'ers. These LB'ers are normally his OLB'ers (Quinn/Longacre/Barwin). The 2 DL'ers are any combination with no particular designation. The 2 DL'ers might be a NT or a DE does not matter. Can't wait to see Aaron Donald who just happen to participate for the first time in this defense today.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9356/aaron-donald

The use of his many deep/free safeties is a big difference from the Greg Williams prevent & Nickles. Starting FS Joyner normally moves up to the slot but not always.Wade will sometimes uses Cody Davis, Blake Countess & John Johnson. If Joyner does not move down to cover the slot Wade's favorite at the moment is Countess. In the 4th Quarter even Rookie Johnson got his first NFL action.

Bottom line is our edge rushing LB'ers as DE's are going to cause havoc as long as they remain healthy. :bueller:

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can't think of a better DC for the Rams, in the last 35-40 years at least!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I hope McSnead is smart and keeps Son of Bum on for as long as possible unlike so many stupid teams. Never understood why he was tossed around so much. One of the best DC's of all time to be honest. I don't say that because he is our DC, I say it because he has had success everywhere he coaches. Just never understood why he was let go so much. All he does is bring a top tier defense year in and year out no matter where he goes. Glad he is our DC!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What do you think of this Wade Nickle defense? I was hoping that others had some comments pro or cons on this subject. After watching the previous Rams DC & the total failure of his Nickle & Dime defenses time after time I can not help myself in getting :yay:over this new Nickle.

I have not heard many members discuss too much here about what we have seen in the four pre season games & our first regular season game. What I have seen Wade do thus far is the constant utilization of 4 LB'ers, 3 safeties, two DL'ers & 2 Corners. Wade will use 2 of his 4 LB'ers down in the 3 point with 2 DL'ers. These LB'ers are normally his OLB'ers (Quinn/Longacre/Barwin). The 2 DL'ers are any combination with no particular designation. The 2 DL'ers might be a NT or a DE does not matter. Can't wait to see Aaron Donald who just happen to participate for the first time in this defense today.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9356/aaron-donald

The use of his many deep/free safeties is a big difference from the Greg Williams prevent & Nickles. Starting FS Joyner normally moves up to the slot but not always.Wade will sometimes uses Cody Davis, Blake Countess & John Johnson. If Joyner does not move down to cover the slot Wade's favorite at the moment is Countess. In the 4th Quarter even Rookie Johnson got his first NFL action.

Bottom line is our edge rushing LB'ers as DE's are going to cause havoc as long as they remain healthy. :bueller:

The important thing is Wade's results, Bonifay.

Gotta love those results.

Allowed 9 points. Only Colt TD was against our 2nds. Are you kidding me?
8 minute 50 seconds TOP advantage.
No 3rd down conversions allowed.
Two pick 6's (almost had 3 but for a Colt penalty).
A safety.
4 sacks.
I lost count of the TFL's.

And all that was without AD. And with 2nds playing most of the 4th quarter.

I mean, DAMN!

Can't wait to see Wade's D after he's fine tuned it! Lol.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not sure what's going on out there....seems like a lot of LB's like you pointed out...do we still have 10 on the roster??? I thought I saw us in the 3-4 on 2nd down a lot too...may have been that hibrid nickle you are talking about....

I'll say this...biggest change to me is the man to man coverage...challenging passes instead of giving up a reception and trying to make a tackle.

I'm going to love seeing Donald, Quinn, and Longacre (yea, I said Longacre) on the field this Sunday to see the pressure on Cousins. I actually wanna see what we do to Cousins in the red-zone.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
There's no mistaking that the D did well v Indy but I saw much that concerned me. Several times there were opportunities in the intermediate level and the Colts exploited some of them but better teams would've exploited several more. The big lead effectively eliminated Indy's running game which frankly looked like it was working well after the first two series.

To answer the OP, Wade's nickel looked good. It's the base defense on first and second downs that have me concerned going forward and will be properly tested when we go to ATT Stadium

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It looks like Davis is the extra DB during Nickel sets. I wonder how much the player sets and gameplanning will change once the starters have to play a full game.