What Would the NFL Lose by Eliminating Kickoffs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
you'd miss stuff like Chris Johnson stepping out of bounds at the 1 yard line on the season opening KO in Frisco, but also some key returns like Tony Horne in Minnesota....and losing Onside kicks would be a deal breaker for me.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I would hate for them to remove kickoffs. That said, there is very strong evidence that it would make the game safer. I wouldn't like it, but I will understand when it gets removed. I think the artificial 4th & 10 is a good idea but may need to be 4th & 20 to match the spectacle and rarity of onside kicks. It would really suck to watch a team like the Pats keep possesion all game long because they consistently convert that option.

Again it would suck, like really suck to lose kickoffs because they are a fantastic tradtion, but it may become necessary.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The X-Games was considering removing all the dangerous jumps from their motorcycle events. They were trying to make the sport safer. Unfortunately, the new format has eliminated a lot of skill from the athlete pool and has actually made the sport more dangerous.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The kickoff is iconic. The start of a Superbowl without the opening kickoff? C'mon.
Man - no kidding. Just think about every game any of us have ever attended. That roar building up to the instant the kicker's foot strikes the ball would be eliminated. Personally, that is a huge part of the game and the fan participation/experience. Quit fucking with the game Roger.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
image.gif

View attachment 14409

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why stop there? eliminate tackling and blocking, red shirt the QB and anyone who carries the ball. Make it "flag" football. While you're at it, change the name to "WFL" Wussy Football League. Have fun on Sundays, I'll be at the beach.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yes eliminate kickoffs, then next step is eliminating tacking, and running the ball, then of course passing.

Honestly, if you don't think you might get injured or have lingering effects from a smash mouth sport you are a dumbass. And if the people in control want to eliminate the contact to make it safer, then it is no longer football.