What will it take to make the Stafford trade worth it in your opinion?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What will make you consider this trade a success?

• Super Bowl or bust

• Stafford in MVP contention

• Big numbers and Perennial Pro Bowler

• Just Outplay Goff

• Other (mention in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m curious how everyone views this trade in terms of what is an acceptable outcome. We gave up 2 firsts and a third and a struggling but promising young QB who has had success in the league for a QB who has as much damn arm talent as I’ve ever seen, a veteran who can make all the throws, quick decisions, etc. There is obvious thoughts in our FO that Stafford has been held back by his organization and that he will flourish here.

That being said, we were a perennial playoff team who went to the second round even last year. So in my opinion it begs the question what can be considered a successful outcome for the Rams in this situation? Is it based on Stafford’s individual play or overall team success? Does he need that Super Bowl win?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Lion and Goff play 48er's, Packers, Ravens, Bears and Vikings their first five games.

I think the answer will be obvious after that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Based upon your description of Goff, I'd say Super Bowl or bust.

However, while I may be in the minority on this, I don't believe the Rams would have ever dealt the QB you describe here.:thinking:

And as long as those 1st round selections in the draft crapshoot remain at the bottom of the round I went with "Big numbers and a Perennial Pro Bowler" (even though the latter is merely a popularity contest).

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sean McVay said it was about winning it all. Listen to the coach there is nothing acceptable short of winning a trophy, multiple of them should happen. Anything else is a failure.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's already worth it.

Now... when a passing play breaks down, I will no longer have to hold my breath and look away from the screen to shield myself from what Goof is about to do.

I already leave the inside of the house when our kicker comes onto the field to attempt field goals. Watching Goof on passing plays when things didn't develop perfectly was becoming just as bad as field goal attempts for me. I still have nightmares about several of his games last season when he was literally The Reason we lost. Especially that Miami game... thank God I decided not to go to that one.

Stafford doesn't panic and go braindead when things breakdown. I've watched him enough to know that he is always a danger to a defense... even when it looks like the defense is about to kill the play. Watching Goof in those situations was becoming pure torture.

There are too many times in games when defenses get an edge on a play. When that happens you have to have a QB who can maintain his composure knowing that he could still make something happen while protecting the ball. Just think about the whiner games last year. They had Goof completely figured out. I honestly believe that their loud mouth DC got Goof rattled just by screaming bs from the sidelines. Full deer in the headlights mode and panick from our QB before the ball was even snapped. I don't know if I could have taken another year of watching that.

So yeah... full confession here... I had lost all faith in Goof. Maybe my post alone was enough to make that clear, but I wanted to just let it all out. I feel some relief now! The trade is already a win for me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yep McVay said it is about winning it all. He sure did. And by God if that doesn't happen there are gonna be some pissed fans round these parts.

But I don't care about all that. For myself I appreciate the Rams upgrading the position. For having high standards. And I look forward to rooting for an offensive unit that isn't gonna piss away what is a nice window of playoff opportunity.

Now here's hoping McVay prioritizes a balanced run game even if it means adding a slower chain mover to his collection of speed backs.

nighttrain

Legend
It's already worth it.

Now... when a passing play breaks down, I will no longer have to hold my breath and look away from the screen to shield myself from what Goof is about to do.

I already leave the inside of the house when our kicker comes onto the field to attempt field goals. Watching Goof on passing plays when things didn't develop perfectly was becoming just as bad as field goal attempts for me. I still have nightmares about several of his games last season when he was literally The Reason we lost. Especially that Miami game... thank God I decided not to go to that one.

Stafford doesn't panic and go braindead when things breakdown. I've watched him enough to know that he is always a danger to a defense... even when it looks like the defense is about to kill the play. Watching Goof in those situations was becoming pure torture.

There are too many times in games when defenses get an edge on a play. When that happens you have to have a QB who can maintain his composure knowing that he could still make something happen while protecting the ball. Just think about the whiner games last year. They had Goof completely figured out. I honestly believe that their loud mouth DC got Goof rattled just by screaming bs from the sidelines. Full deer in the headlights mode and panick from our QB before the ball was even snapped. I don't know if I could have taken another year of watching that.

So yeah... full confession here... I had lost all faith in Goof. Maybe my post alone was enough to make that clear, but I wanted to just let it all out. I feel some relief now! The trade is already a win for me.
was the goof remark really neccessary ? JG did take us to a Super Bowl, remember.........
train

Last edited:

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
The goal evey year is to win a superbowl regardless of the QB. If we win it all that would be awesome but as long as Stafford doesn't get hurt and plays majority of the time he is with us and does his job and not be a liability it will be worth it for me.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Based upon your description of Goff, I'd say Super Bowl or bust.

However, while I may be in the minority on this, I don't believe the Rams would have ever dealt the QB you describe here.:thinking:

And as long as those 1st round selections in the draft crapshoot remain at the bottom of the round I went with "Big numbers and a Perennial Pro Bowler" (even though the latter is merely a popularity contest).
All I did was call him young, struggling, and promising. Which part did you disagree with?

He is young.
He has been struggling recently.
2 pro bowls by the age 26 means he has to be at least a little promising no?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Lion and Goff play 48er's, Packers, Ravens, Bears and Vikings their first five games.

I think the answer will be obvious after that.
The answer to what? The question was what result will make the trade worth it in your opinion.

Memphis Ram

Legend
All I did was call him young, struggling, and promising. Which part did you disagree with?

He is young.
He has been struggling recently.
2 pro bowls by the age 26 means he has to be at least a little promising no?

He's young.
But, my recently doesn't expand to include his last 2 of 4 full seasons.
And 29 INTs and 9 lost fumbles during his last 31 games (70 turnover worthy plays since 2018 leading the NFL if you're a PFF buff) took away the promising for me and I believe the Rams.

Pro Bowls? As stated before it's merely a popularity contest.

BTW, I also consider getting rid of that contact a plus in the trade.

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's young.
But, my recently doesn't expand to include his last 2 of 4 full seasons.
And 29 INTs and 9 lost fumbles during his last 31 games (70 turnover worthy plays since 2018 leading the NFL if you're a PFF buff) took away the promising for me and I believe the Rams.

Pro Bowls? As stated before it's merely a popularity contest.

BTW, I also consider getting rid of that contact a plus in the trade.
You think he no longer has promise and thats fine but I don’t think I drastically misrepresented the situation as you seemed to suggest nor was that meant to be the focus of the topic

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every year the goal is to win the Super Bowl regardless of what the team did the previous year or any trades/draft picks they made in the off season. Funny watching people try to walk back that expectation that they've had for years. It's also pretty funny this notion that it's bad for fans to disagree with a front office. Also something that happens every year for every team in every sport. Hell I know Dodger fans that want Andrew Friedman fired lets not act like doubting somebody who hasn't won it all yet is some heinous crime against fandom.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

That was the worst right? But forget about when the play broke down. Even on normal plays I would clench up on every pass.

Imagine if they beat the Jets and the shitters like they was supposed to. That would've affect the seeding b/c that would be a 13 win season. Assuming they would've stayed the course against Tampa. Because the QB damn near ruined a perfect defensive performance again Tom Brady.

Right? Remember how he dropped back and just kinda look...stuck? I'm not a coach but even a 10 year old could see he was staring at one guy the whole time.

He had one good game in 2019 against the shitters. But other than that? And last year was the worst considering all the injuries they had on offense and defense. My gosh that was bad.

Same. Even if Matthew Stafford isn't on the team in 3 years, at least the Rams will get a shot at another QB, which if recent times show isn't that bad of a thing. Jared was limited and regressing big time.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It doesn't have to be this year, but if we don't win a Super-Bowl with Stafford then it was a shit trade IMO. Goff brought us to a Super Bowl, so if we're upgrading from him then the upgrade needs to be able to win a Super Bowl.