What will happen with Lloyd?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[flv]http://msnbc.vo.llnwd.net/e1/video/flash/s_nbc_nfl_pftlivelloydpatriots_120220.flv[/flv]

1. Said Gregg Rosenthal of PFT
It doesn’t appear the Rams have any interest in placing the franchise tag on Lloyd, although Lloyd said that wouldn’t be a problem. “A pay raise is always welcomed,” Lloyd said. He also said “of course” the Rams have a chance to sign him before he even hits free agency. Lloyd expects talks to begin later this week.

St. Louis likely has some level of interest in retaining Lloyd, but we’d be very surprised if Lloyd didn’t wind up hitting the open market.

2. The Rams aren't going to put the Franchise tag on him.
Jason La Canfora: The Rams will not be using the (Franchise) tag, according to a team source. And, as in a few other cases I've noted, I don't know who you could even suggest they would tag.

3. As everyone knows, and as Brandon said earlier in that video above, he would "love to play for Josh again" But, according to the Boston Herald, it's not that easy now that Tom Condon is Lloyd's agent:

The Patriots reportedly inquired about dealing for Lloyd last year when they realized Ochocinco wasn’t working out. But at that point, Lloyd was represented by agent David Dunn of Athletes First. Ho hum, no big deal. That changed recently.

Lloyd is now represented by Tom Condon of CAA. That is… well, not great for the Patriots. The team hasn’t dealt with Condon in years, and (unless my math is wrong), it hasn’t had a player solely represented by Condon since TE Ben Watson in 2004. When he was a rookie in the first round, the team wanted him to ink a six-year deal like the rest of the first-rounders. Condon wouldn’t agree, calling it unfair because Watson was older than most first-rounders and would only get one other NFL deal.

So, Condon had to fire himself, the Patriots and Watson had their deal, and the NFLPA since barred first-rounders from signing six-year agreements. But the damage between Condon and the Pats had been done. Condon told the Herald’s Ron Borges in 2009, “We pretend there are 31 franchises in the NFL now and (the Patriots) pretend we don’t exist, even though we represent 140 of the best players in the NFL. That’s fine.”

There's a lot of moving parts in this scenario, but it looks like it boils down to whether or not Tom Condon and the Patriots can do a deal together. If the Patriots are removed from the equation because of a personality conflict, then it *seems* like Brandon Lloyd could remain a Ram, provided he doesn't get a giant offer from some other team. At 30 years old, and with the Patriots a non-destination, how much interest do you think he has in remaining with the Rams? Or vice-versa?

joeybittick

Rookie
X said:
[flv]http://msnbc.vo.llnwd.net/e1/video/flash/s_nbc_nfl_pftlivelloydpatriots_120220.flv[/flv]

It doesn’t appear the Rams have any interest in placing the franchise tag on Lloyd, although Lloyd said that wouldn’t be a problem. “A pay raise is always welcomed,” Lloyd said. He also said “of course” the Rams have a chance to sign him before he even hits free agency. Lloyd expects talks to begin later this week.

St. Louis likely has some level of interest in retaining Lloyd, but we’d be very surprised if Lloyd didn’t wind up hitting the open market.

Jason La Canfora: The Rams will not be using the (Franchise) tag, according to a team source. And, as in a few other cases I've noted, I don't know who you could even suggest they would tag.

3. As everyone knows, and as Brandon said earlier in that video above, he would "love to play for Josh again" But, according to the Boston Herald, it's not that easy now that Tom Condon is Lloyd's agent:

The Patriots reportedly inquired about dealing for Lloyd last year when they realized Ochocinco wasn’t working out. But at that point, Lloyd was represented by agent David Dunn of Athletes First. Ho hum, no big deal. That changed recently.

Lloyd is now represented by Tom Condon of CAA. That is… well, not great for the Patriots. The team hasn’t dealt with Condon in years, and (unless my math is wrong), it hasn’t had a player solely represented by Condon since TE Ben Watson in 2004. When he was a rookie in the first round, the team wanted him to ink a six-year deal like the rest of the first-rounders. Condon wouldn’t agree, calling it unfair because Watson was older than most first-rounders and would only get one other NFL deal.

So, Condon had to fire himself, the Patriots and Watson had their deal, and the NFLPA since barred first-rounders from signing six-year agreements. But the damage between Condon and the Pats had been done. Condon told the Herald’s Ron Borges in 2009, “We pretend there are 31 franchises in the NFL now and (the Patriots) pretend we don’t exist, even though we represent 140 of the best players in the NFL. That’s fine.”

There's a lot of moving parts in this scenario, but it looks like it boils down to whether or not Tom Condon and the Patriots can do a deal together. If the Patriots are removed from the equation because of a personality conflict, then it *seems* like Brandon Lloyd could remain a Ram, provided he doesn't get a giant offer from some other team. At 35 years old, and with the Patriots a non-destination, how much interest do you think he has in remaining with the Rams? Or vice-versa?

Eh, it looks like their math was off... Lloyd is only 30, right?

http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonlloyd/2505600/profile

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
joeybittick said:
X said:

There's a lot of moving parts in this scenario, but it looks like it boils down to whether or not Tom Condon and the Patriots can do a deal together. If the Patriots are removed from the equation because of a personality conflict, then it *seems* like Brandon Lloyd could remain a Ram, provided he doesn't get a giant offer from some other team. At 30 years old, and with the Patriots a non-destination, how much interest do you think he has in remaining with the Rams? Or vice-versa?

That was my math. I wrote everything under the video, so "my bad" :oops:

joeybittick

Rookie
X said:
joeybittick said:
X said:

That was my math. I wrote everything under the video, so "my bad" :oops:

Sorry :oops: I hope I did not sound snotty, I was just pointing it out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
joeybittick said:
Sorry :oops: I hope I did not sound snotty, I was just pointing it out.
Not at all. Now, stfu. :razzed:

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I wouldnt over pay him there are free agent WRs that would play for whoever coaches and still play good

joeybittick

Rookie
BuiltRamTough said:
I wouldnt over pay him there are free agent WRs that would play for whoever coaches and still play good

I like Lloyd, but I think I agree with you. The whole matter of him only ever excelling under McDaniels scares me a little. He may only be suited for a certain system. There are system QBs, so why cant there be system WRs as well?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I wonder if the Les Snead hire builds a little steam for Harry Douglas to come over on the cheap. He's built like Brandon Lloyd, played pretty decently when he had to step up in the absence of Julio Jones and Michael Jenkins and has a bit of speed that the Rams could really use at the position.

Not sure if there's much there to seperate himself from the likes of Amendola or Salas, but they'll be pretty thin at WR and I'd hope at least 2 FA and a draft pick go towards stocking the cupboard for Sam. I'm still pulling for Robert Meachem who's a bit more physical and can play on the outside. There's always something to be said about the proverbial hook-up between former team and new GM though.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I read somewhere that his agent said if New England comes calling they will talk to them and be professional. I don't expect him to resign personally, but of course I would love it if he did.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
I read somewhere that his agent said if New England comes calling they will talk to them and be professional. I don't expect him to resign personally, but of course I would love it if he did.
That's the problem though. Whoever it is that has a personal problem with Condon, probably won't pick up the phone.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
That's the problem though. Whoever it is that has a personal problem with Condon, probably won't pick up the phone.

Good, that'll just keep his price down for us. :ww:

steferfootball

Starter
joeybittick said:
BuiltRamTough said:

I like Lloyd, but I think I agree with you. The whole matter of him only ever excelling under McDaniels scares me a little. He may only be suited for a certain system. There are system QBs, so why cant there be system WRs as well?
IIRC, his catch rate was around 50% last year and the year prior.

So perhaps the system part is forcing balls his way? That is what we did.

If we sign him, I say we still look for someone early in the draft.