What was the deal on the quick change the Bears tried?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My understanding is that if the Offense substitutes, the Defense gets to substitute also. What am I missing? It sounded like the only reason the Refs let the Rams substitute was because the ref got knocked over.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is what I could find

If a substitution is made by the offense, the offense shall not be permitted to snap the ball until the defense has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a substitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If the offense makes a late substitution, the following occurs:

a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable time to complete its substitutions.

b) If a play takes place and a defensive foul for too many players on the field results, no penalties will be enforced, except for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct, and the down will be replayed. At this time, the Referee will notify the head coach that any further use of this tactic will result in a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Note: The quick-snap rule does not apply after the two-minute warning of either half, or if there is not a substitution by the offense.

c) On a fourth-down punting situation, the Referee and the Umpire will not allow a quick snap that prevents the defense from having a reasonable time to complete its substitutions. This applies throughout the entire game.

d) If the play clock expires before the defense has completed its substitution, it is delay of game by the offense.

I know it was inside the 2 Minute warning, but the highlighted portion above seems to apply directly to that situation.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah that whole sequence was messed up and Nagy had no reason to be pissed. Even if the ref hadn't got knocked over the Rams get a reasonable amount of time to sub players in. Was just stupid. And then Nagy was pointing and yelling at the ref that got knocked over "that's on you"... no its not lol. Lets just ignore that the Rams get to sub in... Bears #70 ran the little ref guy over. His back was to the sideline watching the play like he was supposed to be and a 320 pound man ran up his backside. What was he supposed to do? Have eyes in the back of his head? If anything, that screw up was on #70 and no one else.

But whatever, doesn't matter but that whole sequence was bizarre.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
d) If the play clock expires before the defense has completed its substitution, it is delay of game by the offense.

This seems like a bit of a loophole doesn't it?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And then Nagy was pointing and yelling at the ref that got knocked over "that's on you"...

this was the moment i lost all respect for him. blaming someone else for his fuck up. i will enjoy watching the bears lose in the playoffs.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive

This seems like a bit of a loophole doesn't it?
Yeah that whole sequence was messed up and Nagy had no reason to be ticked. Even if the ref hadn't got knocked over the Rams get a reasonable amount of time to sub players in. Was just stupid. And then Nagy was pointing and yelling at the ref that got knocked over "that's on you"... no its not lol. Lets just ignore that the Rams get to sub in... Bears #70 ran the little ref guy over. His back was to the sideline watching the play like he was supposed to be and a 320 pound man ran up his backside. What was he supposed to do? Have eyes in the back of his head? If anything, that screw up was on #70 and no one else.

But whatever, doesn't matter but that whole sequence was bizarre.
The only thing I can think of is that the Bears were hoping to catch the Rams off guard enough that they didn't get Natson into the game. While the refs have to hold the game up long enough for the Rams to substitute, if their returners are sitting on the bench and not paying attention, they'd probably have to burn a timeout or risk having an unskilled returner back to receive.

It sure seemed like a lot of unneeded maneuvers and anger over something so small, but with the requirement that the Rams get reasonable time to bring their subs in, I couldn't come up with anything else. The other possibility is that Nagy and the Bears special teams coaches were unaware the rule applied to punt situations, in which case they really look stupid now.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
In the situation that took place last night, when the happens one of the officials stands over the ball and allows for the defense to substitute. Its a judgment call in terms of what they feel is sufficient time to sub. If you watch the play again, its exactly what was happening. The whistle only blew when the official was knocked down. The referee did a poor job communicating what happened. But the Rams were sending in replacements and to their credit did it quickly.

Someone mentioned the time clock, not sure if they stop the time clock or not.

Ellard80

Legend
The deal is... Naggy is a dumb fuck - who thought he was being clever without remembering a basic substitution rule.

Then blaming the Ref (telling the ref to his face it was his fault) when his dumbass was the one that messed up was also a class move.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The deal is... Naggy is a dumb freak - who thought he was being clever without remembering a basic substitution rule.

Then blaming the Ref (telling the ref to his face it was his fault) when his dumbass was the one that messed up was also a class move.

haha, i couldn't have said it better myself.

TexasRam

Legend
when did they implement this rule?

it seems Aaron Rodgers made a living off this loophole before the rule was in place.

explains why Rodgers sucks now.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
when did they implement this rule?

it seems Aaron Rodgers made a living off this loophole before the rule was in place.

explains why Rodgers sucks now.

nah, totally different. he only did it when a player was late leaving the field.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
My understanding is that if the Offense substitutes, the Defense gets to substitute also. What am I missing? It sounded like the only reason the Refs let the Rams substitute was because the ref got knocked over.

You are missing nothing my friend.
You are correct.

I don’t know what that crap was about the ref falling down, other than an attempt to cover up the ref’s ignorance and incompetence.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams will never and I mean never have that pulled on them again. Ready Freddy!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams will never and I mean never have that pulled on them again. Ready Freddy!

Because the other team isn't allowed to do it. If they make a late substitution the defense has to have enough time to make their substitution. Nagy is a dumb fuck.