What Wade’s Broncos Defense means this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Now that the 2018 Ram defense has officially been dismantled, intrigue abounds as to what’s next. When Wade Phillips was hired, the thinking was that the 2016 Rams had a talented defense but needed a complete overhaul on offense so Wade had to teach his players how to function in the new system. While he credibly improved his unit statistically over the previous regime, the onus on Wade to make adjustments to accommodate the personnel occasionally put him at a disadvantage on gameday. The run defense frequently faltered and the coaching staff made schematic adjustments throughout the games to mitigate the damage. But his history indicates that he prefers certain qualities of his players so he can dictate to the offense what they can and cannot do. The construction of the Denver squad provides clues as to what Wade desires.

The Bronco defensive line started with Sylvester Williams in the middle flanked by Malik Jackson and Vance Walker. Had Dom Easley been healthy last year, Wade would’ve Inherited upgrades across the board. Michael Brockers was slated to man the middle and is every bit is good as Williams there but as either side that Donald wasn’t on got gashed, Brockers was moved to end to funnel the damage inside. If I dared to guess, I’d say Brockers may find himself back inside while another decent tackle is acquired to replace his position. A mid level 3/4 tackle that excels at stopping the run would make this unit pliable to Wade’s purposes. I wouldn’t expect a high dollar investment here as we will analyze where the money is more likely to be spent in the next paragraph.

Now that Quinn and Ogletree have officially been moved, let’s consider the qualities of the Bronco’s linebackers under Wade. He channeled the run toward Brandon Marshall and the stout linebacker was equal to the task Ogletree wasn’t. A middle thumper is less expensive than an outside rusher and more plentiful in the draft but is no less important. If one isn’t acquired early in free agency, look for an early draft pick to shore up the responsibility. While Barron’s contract is cause for pause, his acumen is similar to Danny Trevathan in that he plays like a safety with similar responsibilities. I’m not so sure Barron is on the block but as mentioned, finances might dictate otherwise. But it’s the lack of a D Ware and Von Miller that glares at this roster. Outside the peerless AD, the Rams lack a credible outside rush that also sets an edge in the run game. Anyone hoping Ekuban and Littleton are solutions is someone who suffers delusions only fandom can produce. My suspicion is that one high priced free agent and one high draft pick, along with two more developmental picks will be selected to man the edges.

While Marcus Peters was acquired to handle Chris Harris Jr’s ballhawking role, the Aquib Talib role of a big corner who can post up tall receivers and stop the run may be leaving in the form of Tru Johnson. Ideally, Tru can be retained reasonably but we all suspect otherwise. Perhaps the Rams trust Kayvon there but his health is the gamble. Nevertheless, the position has yet to be filled. NRC acquitted himself well in the
Bradley Roby nickel slot and should absolutely be retained. Joyner is every bit the player Darian Stewart was acquired to be so at least we are set there, as I suspect JJ III is capable of doing everything the Broncos got from Ward (without the suspension issues).

In short, the Rams will lock onto upgrades for a run stuffing tackle, a violent inside linebacker, one or two premium pass rushers, and a tall corner. The cap space has almost been cleared and the draft picks have been stocked. Let the fun begin.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Great post as usual. Avery Williamson ILB from Titans is the perfect fit - a true run-stopper. Rams need to be aggressive day one and bring him in.

Name
Hannibal Ram
Williamson would be great with the Rams. What other free agents would fit Wade's Defense?

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder what Williamson would cost but if it’s under 6 mil a year, he’d certainly be a fit

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I wonder what Williamson would cost but if it’s under 6 mil a year, he’d certainly be a fit

That would be great at $6M/yr but he will be sought after in the FA market. I think he goes for a little bit more. I'd love to know the Rams thinking on how they will fill the ILB post. I'm sure Leoram is right in that they will go for a thumper type player. I'd just like to know how much they value the position in terms of what thy're prepared to pay.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@leoram this is another great post.

I love reading your thoughts.

Did you play or coach at a high level?

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
@leoram this is another great post.

I love reading your thoughts.

Did you play or coach at a high level?

Thanks for the compliments.

I’m nothing more than a die hard fan who has lived and breathed this team since I was a kid in the 60’s. I have a literary background so I get frustrated with so-called journalists who 1. Lack imagination, 2. Regurgitate the obvious, and 3. Refuse to research before they write. I study people and search the why of things. I try to avoid posting the mundane. Much of my knowledge comes from listening to and reading what coaches and astute players say about their profession. I coached my son for years and respect what it takes to develop young men and formulate a plan for success. I find Wade’s ability to teach and Sean’s systematic approach to leadership intriguing. As to myself, I’m little more than a passionate JAG who combines experience in several professional environments to the analysis of gridiron dynamics. It’s a hobby, one I wish I had the opportunity to make a profession but alas, putting five kids through college simultaneously is my major focus in this stage of life. Football is a happy outlet I enjoy with you fanatics I wish were having beers with me at the bar. If anyone takes a vacation here in Branson, Missouri...let’s do exactly that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Thanks for the compliments.

I’m nothing more than a die hard fan who has lived and breathed this team since I was a kid in the 60’s. I have a literary background so I get frustrated with so-called journalists who 1. Lack imagination, 2. Regurgitate the obvious, and 3. Refuse to research before they write. I study people and search the why of things. I try to avoid posting the mundane. Much of my knowledge comes from listening to and reading what coaches and astute players say about their profession. I coached my son for years and respect what it takes to develop young men and formulate a plan for success. I find Wade’s ability to teach and Sean’s systematic approach to leadership intriguing. As to myself, I’m little more than a passionate JAG who combines experience in several professional environments to the analysis of gridiron dynamics. It’s a hobby, one I wish I had the opportunity to make a profession but alas, putting five kids through college simultaneously is my major focus in this stage of life. Football is a happy outlet I enjoy with you fanatics I wish were having beers with me at the bar. If anyone takes a vacation here in Branson, Missouri...let’s do exactly that.

You are fantastic!!!!!

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I'm just hoping that Snead can move some of the sixth rounders and package it to move up to get Vita Vea. That would be a WALL that no RB could get through. Rams also need to draft a ILB thumper. Then the Rams new defense will be called the Stompers.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Now that the 2018 Ram defense has officially been dismantled, intrigue abounds as to what’s next. When Wade Phillips was hired, the thinking was that the 2016 Rams had a talented defense but needed a complete overhaul on offense so Wade had to teach his players how to function in the new system. While he credibly improved his unit statistically over the previous regime, the onus on Wade to make adjustments to accommodate the personnel occasionally put him at a disadvantage on gameday. The run defense frequently faltered and the coaching staff made schematic adjustments throughout the games to mitigate the damage. But his history indicates that he prefers certain qualities of his players so he can dictate to the offense what they can and cannot do. The construction of the Denver squad provides clues as to what Wade desires.

The Bronco defensive line started with Sylvester Williams in the middle flanked by Malik Jackson and Vance Walker. Had Dom Easley been healthy last year, Wade would’ve Inherited upgrades across the board. Michael Brockers was slated to man the middle and is every bit is good as Williams there but as either side that Donald wasn’t on got gashed, Brockers was moved to end to funnel the damage inside. If I dared to guess, I’d say Brockers may find himself back inside while another decent tackle is acquired to replace his position. A mid level 3/4 tackle that excels at stopping the run would make this unit pliable to Wade’s purposes. I wouldn’t expect a high dollar investment here as we will analyze where the money is more likely to be spent in the next paragraph.

Now that Quinn and Ogletree have officially been moved, let’s consider the qualities of the Bronco’s linebackers under Wade. He channeled the run toward Brandon Marshall and the stout linebacker was equal to the task Ogletree wasn’t. A middle thumper is less expensive than an outside rusher and more plentiful in the draft but is no less important. If one isn’t acquired early in free agency, look for an early draft pick to shore up the responsibility. While Barron’s contract is cause for pause, his acumen is similar to Danny Trevathan in that he plays like a safety with similar responsibilities. I’m not so sure Barron is on the block but as mentioned, finances might dictate otherwise. But it’s the lack of a D Ware and Von Miller that glares at this roster. Outside the peerless AD, the Rams lack a credible outside rush that also sets an edge in the run game. Anyone hoping Ekuban and Littleton are solutions is someone who suffers delusions only fandom can produce. My suspicion is that one high priced free agent and one high draft pick, along with two more developmental picks will be selected to man the edges.

While Marcus Peters was acquired to handle Chris Harris Jr’s ballhawking role, the Aquib Talib role of a big corner who can post up tall receivers and stop the run may be leaving in the form of Tru Johnson. Ideally, Tru can be retained reasonably but we all suspect otherwise. Perhaps the Rams trust Kayvon there but his health is the gamble. Nevertheless, the position has yet to be filled. NRC acquitted himself well in the
Bradley Roby nickel slot and should absolutely be retained. Joyner is every bit the player Darian Stewart was acquired to be so at least we are set there, as I suspect JJ III is capable of doing everything the Broncos got from Ward (without the suspension issues).

In short, the Rams will lock onto upgrades for a run stuffing tackle, a violent inside linebacker, one or two premium pass rushers, and a tall corner. The cap space has almost been cleared and the draft picks have been stocked. Let the fun begin.

So....it’s time I revisit/update my opinion once Peters was acquired. I will start with what I got wrong, move to what I got right, then evaluate where we stand in the process.

I predicted no huge investment in the DLine. Suh’s acquisition along with my prediction of an investment in a premium edge rusher makes me officially wrong in my forecast. I credit the Rams brass and the unexpected release of Suh by the Dolphins for my error. While the need to address the run game along with an improvement in the pass rush was correct, the solution came in the form of a man who can provide both from the interior. This is a marked departure from Wade’s defense in Denver and thus my theory was disproven. Wade is building this defense structurally differently than what he had with the Broncos.

I lamented the loss of Tru to fill the Talib role but Wade filled that role with Talib himself. While I didn’t predict it, I was right about it along with the thought that Barron fills the Trevathan role and was therefore retained. Brandon Marshall’s role (a fourth round pick) may very well be filled by Hager, Wilson, or Kiser but I don’t believe any of the three has Marshall’s range though I’d say Kiser’s instincts may prove to be a more than adequate fit. We may have lost Ogletree’s speed and pass defense, but improved considerably in the run game.

Finally, while Longacre, Ekuban, Obo, and Franklin-Myers may very well flash due to the attention offenses have to pay to the DLine inside pressure, Wade’s creativity, and this staff’s ability to coach up talent, nobody can confuse them with Ware/Miller combo. They will be counted on to protect the edge in the run game and be able to get home when they are the free rushers on blitzes and occasionally beat single blockers.

The Rams upgraded the defense over last year and Pro Bowl level players comprise more than half the unit. If healthy, this could be a dominant squad, even if it operates a bit differently than how Wade did it in Denver.

Ram65

Legend
Anyone hoping Ekuban and Littleton are solutions is someone who suffers delusions only fandom can produce. My suspicion is that one high priced free agent and one high draft pick, along with two more developmental picks will be selected to man the edges.

I'm still waiting for the edge rusher free agent. lol I thought for sure they would get one with experience to help the youngsters.

So....it’s time I revisit/update my opinion once Peters was acquired.

Nice revisit. There more than one way to skin a cat or create a dynamic defense. Rams took advantage of a rare opportunity by signing Suh. That would have been nearly impossible to imagine.

dang

Legend
From different thread but same response...not sure what coaches will try with the rookies. For instance I have heard Franklin-Meyers could be asked to lose a little weight for a look at Edge. I trust the coaches but feel we need to find an experienced Edge player to compliment Ebukam/Okoronkwo while they grow into effective starters.