What to make of the Rams and Manziel/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
What to make of the Rams and Manziel
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8021/what-to-make-of-the-rams-and-manziel

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- If the NFL draft had been scheduled at its normal time, it would already be over and many of the rumors that have just now surfaced might never have seen the light of day.

But here we are, less than a week from the draft, and the most polarizing name entered is finding himself connected to the St. Louis Rams. That's Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, the player that many love and many love to hate with little gray area in between. What started as "whispers" then became a chic mock draft pick and now will culminate in an on-campus workout in College Station.

Our NFL Insider Chris Mortensen reported Wednesday evening a Rams' contingent, including coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead, is set to conduct a private workout with the Aggies' version of the Holy Trinity: Manziel, tackle Jake Matthews and wide receiver Mike Evans. That workout is scheduled for Friday.

It's no surprise to see Evans and Matthews on the list. The Rams have not made any secret of their interest in that duo, hosting Evans on a pre-draft workout and spending plenty of time with Matthews, who has longstanding family ties to Fisher. Matthews could be in play for the Rams' No. 2 overall pick and Evans could be a factor if the Rams can find a trade down partner with that choice.

Which brings us to Manziel. As is the case with most draft rumors, those that want nothing to do with Manziel will simply assume his connection to the Rams is part of their plan to use him as a smokescreen, perhaps to entice a team to trade up to either of their picks. Those that love him want to believe the interest is real and the team is ready to take the plunge by parting ways with incumbent Sam Bradford.

Since the rumors first started popping up, I've maintained the Rams will not use the No. 2 pick on Manziel. After doing some more legwork, I have no reason to believe anything has changed in that regard. I also believe if Manziel fell to No. 13 it would be unwise to rule out the chance the Rams will choose him. Of course, that's dependent on Manziel slipping that far in the first place, which doesn't seem likely.

The Rams might have legitimate interest in Manziel but even if they do, there's nothing wrong with dovetailing that interest as a way to generate some curiosity in their picks. It seems unlikely somebody would want to trade to No. 2 to secure his services but it's not completely out of the question. And if he does slip to 13, that might be a sweet spot for a team like Cleveland to trade up from 26 to grab him, allowing the Browns to go a different direction at No. 4 and the Rams to acquire more picks while moving down in the first round.

Snead and Fisher have been consistent in their comments supporting Bradford and shooting down rumors of using the second selection on any quarterback. I asked Snead back in January if he saw that as an option and he shut it down quickly.

"As we've said, Sam's our starting QB," Snead said then. "And maybe that's way too out of the box to take a QB that high."

Beyond the idea being "too out of the box," taking Manziel would also go against a lot of logical steps to the process. For example, if the Rams wanted to move on from Bradford, they probably would have done it before free agency when it would have created plenty of extra cap space. Even if they wanted to wait, they'd have to have a trade in place to deal Bradford and his sizable contract soon after drafting a quarterback like Manziel.

Fisher has repeatedly pointed proudly to the fact he's never had a quarterback controversy as a head coach and drafting a quarterback in the first round, especially Manziel, would undoubtedly lead to one.

The Rams are going to draft a quarterback, perhaps as early as the second round. We've known that for months. When it's all said and done, the safe bet remains that Manziel won't be the one.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
th

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If Manziel falls to 13, we should take him and put him up for bid.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
That would be pretty interesting but Im sure we wouldn't get a #1 that is 13 or higher in compensation. We could have our own draft for Manziel and delay it 3 weeks to be more intriguing and put it on prime time TV.

iced

why? and get a future 2nd or 3rd rounder for him?

either trade the pick or get a player that helps the team,not a guy that "teams MIGHT be interested in"

A55VA6

Legend
If we draft Manziel, Bradford is done in STL. There's no way we'd spend a 1st rounder on a QB and throw him on the bench.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we draft Manziel, Bradford is done in STL. There's no way we'd spend a 1st rounder on a QB and throw him on the bench.

This. Is there any doubt?

No.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

This. Is there any doubt?

No.
That. None at all.

If the Rams do this, then they should just trade Bradford on draft day and be done with it. No QB controversy...no half-ass'd coach speak about why they drafted another QB so high etc....

A55VA6

Legend
I will say this (Les Snead voice).. there will be definite interest in Bradford if the Rams put him on the market. Quite a few teams would view Bradford as a huge upgrade to what they have and would probably be fine with taking his contract.

I won't be mad if the Rams take Manziel, it'd be an interesting twist to this new season. But I also won't be mad if Bradford is our guy. This is seriously the 1st time in a while that I have no idea what the Rams are going to do. I'm just excited to see what happens.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
why? and get a future 2nd or 3rd rounder for him?

either trade the pick or get a player that helps the team,not a guy that "teams MIGHT be interested in"

I doubt he makes it to 13.
If he does we should get a later first rnd and second.
Many are echoing that there aren't any sure bets at the qb position this year, but the guys at the top of this class are still better than last year's crop.

yeah, why not hold him for ransom.

RFIP

There is a better chance of seeing Donald Sterling at an NAACP convention than there is of the Rams drafting Manzeil.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The Rams obviously didn't visit Texas A&M to see Manziel. The interest was Matthews and maybe Evans. The only worked Johnny out to screw with other teams heads. If this is not abundantly clear to people then I guess it worked...

iced

I doubt he makes it to 13.
If he does we should get a later first rnd and second.
Many are echoing that there aren't any sure bets at the qb position this year, but the guys at the top of this class are still better than last year's crop.

yeah, why not hold him for ransom.

how the media perceives a player and how the actual head coaches do are different.

case in point:no running backs last year til the 2nd round,only 1 qb in the first last year....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I will say this (Les Snead voice).. there will be definite interest in Bradford if the Rams put him on the market. Quite a few teams would view Bradford as a huge upgrade to what they have and would probably be fine with taking his contract.

I won't be mad if the Rams take Manziel, it'd be an interesting twist to this new season. But I also won't be mad if Bradford is our guy. This is seriously the 1st time in a while that I have no idea what the Rams are going to do. I'm just excited to see what happens.

And when you see Bradford playing well and Manzeil sucking, then how would you feel?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe the Rams already have a deal in place. Bradford to the Texans for the number 1 overall pick. Then they take Matthews, Watkins, and Gilbert......and a QB in round 2.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

A55VA6

Legend
And when you see Bradford playing well and Manzeil sucking, then how would you feel?
It would obviously suck if we ditched Bradford for Manziel and he ends up playing better for another team, but if the Rams do indeed have series interest in Manziel they'll have to make the decision on which QB they think can take this team farther. My bet is still on Bradford, but like I said.. if we take Manziel, I won't be mad.