What to make of Cleveland?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is the first I read this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/4745/no-sense-fretting-over-approach-to-qbs

The Cleveland Browns have created a little bit of national buzz with the way they’ve approached the quarterbacks in this year’s draft.

Instead of having the top brass attend the pro days of Teddy Bridgewater andBlake Bortles to watch them throw, the team had its scouts do the work. Reportedly GM Ray Farmer attended but did not not watch either throw. Coach Mike Pettine, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and quarterback coach Dowell Loggains have not attended any of the quarterback pro days. (It will be interesting to see what happens with Johnny Manziel on March 27.)

Ah, theres’ more. At the combine, the Browns reportedly did not spend any of their 15-minute interviews with the quarterbacks.

Gasp.

This has created some buzz. To the point that the esteemed Tony Grossi of WKNR ESPN-Cleveland has the Browns taking an offensive tackle fourth overall. (Ugh ... Sam-my Wat-kins, clap-clap, clap-clap-clap).

How, say the outraged, can the Browns skip the workouts? Isn’t that part of their job?

It’s led to questions ranging from whether they are disinterested in the quarterbacks or being deceptive in their intentions or are they flat-out incompetent (their past chases them in the case of the last question).

Maybe they’re doing their job in a slightly different way.

Because really, what’s the big whoop?

Consider:

" Scouts scout. That’s what they are paid to do. They watch players, break down their technique and provide evaluations. Scouts should be able to see a player's athleticisim in a workout. And the scouts have already spent months watching these players in the fall.

" The scouts, front office and coaches have reams of game tape and information to watch. If a guy is a player, he should show it better on the field rather than in the packaged environment of a Pro Day. Show me a team that changes its mind on a guy who struggles in games based on a pro day and I'll show you JaMarcus Russell. Game tape is light years more important than a pro day. Football is played on a field in mud and wind and rain, not in an antiseptic setting like a pro day workout.

" The Browns will only say they are evaluating every player, but the rules allow them to bring in the three quarterbacks for interviews and workouts in Berea. They no doubt will, and they can talk to them there for a day, and have them throw. A 15-minute interview might be nice, but a day-long one is better. A pro day is interesting, but throwing in a less controlled environment might even allow the team to better assess a guy’s fundamentals and skills.

In some ways, the Browns' approach is refreshing. They are letting people do their jobs, and Farmer isn't obsessing.

Can questions be asked? Of course. But questions always come up this time of year about a team, its approach and its decisions. The bottom line comes when players are picked.

The Browns have done plenty since 1999 to warrant criticism.

But it seems like jumping on the pile to criticize them over this issue.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, I see... All this time it's the OTHER teams that have been doing it wrong!

Lol...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Guess all pro Joe Thomas who starts @ OLT will get a book end @ ORT.

Who says you do not draft a ORT @ #4 that high? Goofy Browns.....

I was of the opinion that yes you let your people do their jobs but the presence of the boss in the general area in very important maters like this shows the scouts the importance of this Draft thing. If these scouts take it too lightly & get it wrong then the GM & HC will just blame it on the scouts? I don't think so...........Just Goofy then the Browns may have this Draft thing down with their winning teams.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Complete. Bluff.

It's a solid bluff, too. I'm not convinced they want to trade up, however. They believe none are worth going up to get so they're just seeing who falls, IMO. Rember those Carr rumors? Maybe they're not just rumors. It would would be much easier to trade up and get him.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
The Browns plan to run the Wildcat full time next year. Didn't you know!o_O

Memphis Ram

Legend
If they are smart, they'll take the BPA on their board if they aren't really in love with any of the QBs.