What to expect going forward

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Before the season began, most of us on this board who consistently analyze the Rams and their opponents considered the first handful of games to be daunting. Be honest, if you had to bet your mortgage on the exact record in the first five games, wouldn’t we all have one or two losses penciled in vs the Panthers, Saints, Browns, and Seahawks?

Most of what we’ve seen has been of little surprise to this board. We knew the interior OLine would experience growing pains and we would see our toughest defensive fronts to begin the season. We were repeatedly told that Gurley’s touches would be limited but he was healthy and would be effective. We knew that opposing defenses were going to mimic the Lions/Bears/Patriots gameplans. We were confident the communication breakdowns with Joyner in the backend would be greatly improved with Weddle calling the shots. We expected the reports that Kupp was 100% would make an impact.

What we didn’t expect were hiccups on special teams. Hekker has more mis hits already than he did in any entire season of his career. Greg Z hasn’t been automatic. Can someone please tell Jo Jo not to field punts inside the 7? We’ve given up more blocked punts than we’ve dished? This is still the best unit in the NFL, I’d just like to see them start playing like it. The new members on this unit will improve and the kickers will return to form...bet.

Going forward, we are seeing this team form a new identity. Gone is the boom or bust defense that stymied the Cards with no trips to midfield until the last drive but gave up limitless big gains to the Vikings, Chiefs, and Saints. Looking for a surprise? This is the FIRST team in my memory that was actually very good at covering Tight Ends. The run defense is becoming more consistent, hell...it may even turn into a strength. It’s the absence of blown assignments that will become the hallmark of this defense. Donald is no longer the only man keeping us in games.

On offense, McVay is restructuring the attack. We should not expect us to peak until late in the season. The angst concerning Jared should be applied to the entire unit collectively. We will get every D Coordinator’s most creative attack. This will be a season of lessons learned the hard way, expect it. The good news? This postseason, our offense will be prepared and there will be few wrinkles available to beat us.

The only thing that worries me is our unprecedented run of injury luck. I get that we have a crack training staff and a smart coach who saves their bodies from overwork in practice and the preseason. But freak injuries happen to every team, every year. We won’t be the exception this year. Did anyone else worry as much as I did when AD headed for the tunnel? We’ve been preparing backups for a couple years now, but there are several players that would significantly cripple the team if they were lost. Win or lose until 16 games have been played, the single most important result will be found on the injury report.

Finally, there’s an element nobody seems to have considered. Wade’s defense is forming an identity that will see an adjustment from offenses later this year. The emphasis of limiting big plays necessitates offensive adjustment to short and intermediate attacks that result in long drives. This can wear a defense down. While others worry about the long term success of the offense, the defense is what concerns me most down the stretch with so much needed from older vets like Weddle, Talib, and Matthews.

Brethren, engage.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Concur on the injury front, that is always a concern and when the Rams lost Eric Weddle on defense against the Panthers, they did not seem as good IMO, so keeping him healthy for that unit is key.

The offense is obvious a work in progress and I have posted that against that 6 man front you have to run right at them and Malcolm Brown might be better suited for that style. It's not sexy, but it gains 4-5 yards at a clip and if you keep doing it enough, they will go to a different look, so McVay needs to stick with it and I believe Gurley will be fine with that style too.

Special Teams has had some hiccups, hopefully that unit can get back to more what we are used to. Goff needs to work on making less mistakes although he has been under duress far more this year then in the past, but with Blythe back today the Offensive Line should be ready to have their best game to date.

Again stick with run, more inside than outside, Brown rates high breaking first tackles and Gurley will feel better getting more opportunities IMHO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice post Leo. Personally I am waiting for Goff to bear fruit from all the stressing the staff did on him during camp, with the "we're making him face the best defensive looks for each play call" approach. I do think it's coming for him.

Bottom line for me is I am confident McVay (and Kromer too) knows the way forward schematically it's just a matter of the players settling in and executing (similar to what we had last year on defense when player execution drove the question of whether the game had passed Wade by). I also think McVay needs to switch up some of his route combos for given formations in the passing game, due to how DBs seem to sit on them in certain situations. But either way at some point I expect the Rams to get back to what we're used to seeing offensively.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It all starts and ends with the progress of the offensive line. The Rams rank 30th in pass protection. And from the eye, struggle to hit second level blocks. Until remedied this will restrict the playbook.

Maybe the return of Blythe will help.

fearsomefour

Legend
I had the Rams at 2-2 through four. So, obviously pleased with this start.
Seattle losing last week is helpful.
The tough games upcoming look like SF and Seattle.
The division may be decided until late in the year this time around.
The last seven weeks of the year is the tough run now.
Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas, Seattle, SF with two against Arizona as well....that’s a tough stretch.
Need to bank roll as many wins as possible early.
The injury bug is a constant worry for all teams. The Rams have had some but less than most. No reason to change McVay approach until the wheels come off. So far, his injury prevention has been great.
But mostly the Rams have been able to win when injuries have hit.
When both Talib and Peters went down the Rams kept winning. When the All Pro RB and his back up go down the Rams won with CJ Anderson, who was signed off the street. This tells me the schemes work and are sound.
This week is a big game in the sense of being a home game against a team they should beat. Bank roll a 4-0 start as a hedge against injuries and the second half schedule.
In three weeks the O has scored 30, 27 and 20. Looking for the O to get off to a faster start this week and climb to 30+ points again.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice post Leo. Personally I am waiting for Goff to bear fruit from all the stressing the staff did on him during camp, with the "we're making him face the best defensive looks for each play call" approach. I do think it's coming for him.

Bottom line for me is I am confident McVay (and Kromer too) knows the way forward schematically it's just a matter of the players settling in and executing (similar to what we had last year on defense when player execution drove the question of whether the game had passed Wade by). I also think McVay needs to switch up some of his route combos for given formations in the passing game, due to how DBs seem to sit on them in certain situations. But either way at some point I expect the Rams to get back to what we're used to seeing offensively.

Your insight to the route combinations has merit. McVay does have options in place depending on how the defense is playing their routes. This is why we struggle at first and then come out with the necessary adjustments in the second half of games. As I alluded earlier, by the end of the season...these adjustments will become instantaneous because Jared and the receivers will more quickly recognize the oppositions attack strategy.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's funny how most feel that the Rams have been lucky on the injury front. I don't see it that way. We were fortunate on the offensive line which i think drives this narrative, but i would argue that Kupp is our best offensive player next to Gurley and BOTH got hurt last year. Brown was already done for the year. We were lucky that CJ came in off the street and balled out.
Our best corner missed 8 games(Talib).

QB injuries are the most impactful but IIRC every playoff team had their starter for the post season.

A healthy TG and Kupp in the post season would have been better than just fortunate. In some ways i believe the Rams overachieved in spite of a couple major injuries. Not sure why most don't see it that way but i think it's due to the OLine being healthy which is rare.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
2019 Ram Surprises

Negatives:

#1-OFFENSE/Goff's 3 gm. performances. Been seriously disappointed & getting concerned.

#2- OFFENSE/Non consistent running game. Unable to sustain long term clock eating drives.....that are needed to give our aged Defense (34 Weddle/ 33 Matthews/ 33 Talib & our only 2 productive Dlers- Brockers/Donald) the needed rest to perform up to their high standard.

#3- DEFENSE/ Below average play from our NT's (Joseph-Day/ Smart)

@leoram
Note; Your noted concern about Donald injury carry's serious merit. Like I said the 2019 DL talent level drops off rapidly if a Brockers or Donald is injured.

Last edited:

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
It's funny how most feel that the Rams have been lucky on the injury front. I don't see it that way. We were fortunate on the offensive line which i think drives this narrative, but i would argue that Kupp is our best offensive player next to Gurley and BOTH got hurt last year. Brown was already done for the year. We were lucky that CJ came in off the street and balled out.
Our best corner missed 8 games(Talib).

QB injuries are the most impactful but IIRC every playoff team had their starter for the post season.

A healthy TG and Kupp in the post season would have been better than just fortunate. In some ways i believe the Rams overachieved in spite of a couple major injuries. Not sure why most don't see it that way but i think it's due to the OLine being healthy which is rare.

What you say is true. A diminished Gurley and a missing Kupp emasculates this offense. (See what I did there?) But I submit that there would’ve been greater consequences if both were available yet replaced with losses any duo combination of AD, Talib, Littleton, JJ, Goff, Whitworth, or Havenstein.

My point this year is that we can similarly adjust to losing a couple key players but some, like the ones listed above, would diminish the team significantly. Lose three (which is closer to the NFL norm) and a miracle like the 2017 Eagles would be exactly that... a miracle.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
2019 Ram Surprises

Negatives:

#1-OFFENSE/Goff's 3 gm. performances. Been seriously disappointed & getting concerned.

#2- OFFENSE/Non consistent running game. Unable to sustain long term clock eating drives.....that are needed to give our aged Defense (34 Weddle/ 33 Matthews/ 33 Talib & our only 2 productive Dlers- Brockers/Donald) the needed rest to perform up to their high standard.

#3- DEFENSE/ Below average play from our NT's (Joseph-Day/ Smart)

@leoram
Note; Your noted concern about Donald injury carry's serious merit. Like I said the 2019 DL talent level drops off rapidly if a Brockers or Donald is injured.

Bonifay,

You’re one of my favorite posters so please don’t take this as argumentative. Damn, I’m on the fence about even posting this.

But...

The force of my OP was that we shouldn’t be surprised. The growing pains of an interior OL will make ANY QB and running game look helpless. The fact the Rams are 3-0 suggests the sky is not indeed falling. An entire offseason of Defensive Coordinators scheming up for this system was bound to have affect. And when people single out the QB when an offense struggles...they prove an inability to understand the 11 person execution necessary for success. And if anyone expected SJD/Smart/Gaines to be equal to Suh...well, I’d kindly ask them to remove the rose colored glasses and back away from the spiked Kool-Aid. Hell, we can’t afford or develop Pro-Bowl talent at 25 positions. NT average production is the best we should’ve ever hoped to see...this year. We’ve all been frustrated by the expectation that the offense isn’t nearly as productive as the standards set in 17 and 18. I simply submit that it shouldn’t be a surprise based on what we’ve all posted even before the season began.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
How many seasons of "good" injury "luck" do you have to have before it's no longer luck lol

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Injuries are the bane of every team. Whats the point in fretting about it. Cant change it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay,

You’re one of my favorite posters so please don’t take this as argumentative. Damn, I’m on the fence about even posting this.

But...

The force of my OP was that we shouldn’t be surprised. The growing pains of an interior OL will make ANY QB and running game look helpless. The fact the Rams are 3-0 suggests the sky is not indeed falling. An entire offseason of Defensive Coordinators scheming up for this system was bound to have affect. And when people single out the QB when an offense struggles...they prove an inability to understand the 11 person execution necessary for success. And if anyone expected SJD/Smart/Gaines to be equal to Suh...well, I’d kindly ask them to remove the rose colored glasses and back away from the spiked Kool-Aid. Hell, we can’t afford or develop Pro-Bowl talent at 25 positions. NT average production is the best we should’ve ever hoped to see...this year. We’ve all been frustrated by the expectation that the offense isn’t nearly as productive as the standards set in 17 and 18. I simply submit that it shouldn’t be a surprise based on what we’ve all posted even before the season began.
Understand..... I agreed with most of your presupposition & engaged as you suggested, but I remained still surprised on the above 3 listed elements.

I never expected the Rams trio of NT's to totally replace Suh either but I did expect better on field play from SJ-D. Wade has basically made SJ-D a small part-time player since his initial game. I also expected JF-M to improve so Brockers could see some action @ NT (when needed) & surprised that JF-M failed thus erasing Brockers from the NT equation. The middle run defense will be tested BIG against next Thursday.

The defense should be able to overcome any adjustments our opponents make later on with our OLB'er's & ILB'ers (Matthews). The two DB's you mentioned might be something to keep an eye on especially Talib. I see Talib has been assigned the practice schedule that the aged Whitworth has.

I am in full agreement that acquiring Pro Bowl Level will be much rarer as long as we continue to win with lower round draft selections. You will get no argument out of me my Ram fan Brother;).

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
[QUOTE="leoram, post: 1238335,

Finally, there’s an element nobody seems to have considered. Wade’s defense is forming an identity that will see an adjustment from offenses later this year. The emphasis of limiting big plays necessitates offensive adjustment to short and intermediate attacks that result in long drives. This can wear a defense down. While others worry about the long term success of the offense, the defense is what concerns me most down the stretch with so much needed from older vets like Weddle, Talib, and Matthews.

Brethren, engage.
[/QUOTE]

So, I expected the offensive adjustment to Wade’s defense, but I was surprised it came so soon and by the Bucs.