What I’ve been hearing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This may not be news. It is to me though. So many NCAA football players hitting the portal isn’t just about playing time and moving onto a winning team.

One reason is that so many coaches have lied to them about available NIL money that would be made available to them. So surprising recruiting classes like Maryland recently had and the unreal 17 of the top 100 recruits going to A&M was a charade.

Another reason is that players are unhappy with coaching changes.

1,100 is a lot of available talent for teams to fill needs with.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The portal is destroying the game.
Notre dame QB who started 9 games heard he won’t start next year so he hit the portal prior to the bowl game. Yikes

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The portal is destroying the game.
Notre dame QB who started 9 games heard he won’t start next year so he hit the portal prior to the bowl game. Yikes
Yep. Penn State was slow to take advantage of it but has reaped some benefits. Despite that James Franklin has been vocal about it needing regulated.

Many other coaches believe it’s detrimental. I don’t recall the school but they aren’t power 5 and lost their starting OLT last year and now both OTs this year. How do smaller schools survive that kind of attrition?

I do think that if a player was made promises that a coach didn’t follow through on them they should be able to file a grievance and transfer. That thwarts the false promises by school like Texas A&M.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's the modern truth of good intentions resulting in a shit sandwich. We go from "why aren't the players paid a stipend" to them running the show which is not good for the product.

There has to be regulation and rules in things and they have to be followed in order to ensure smooth operation. The whole thing needs to be analyzed and rules put in place to give it the structure it requires.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's the modern truth of good intentions resulting in a shit sandwich. We go from "why aren't the players paid a stipend" to them running the show which is not good for the product.

There has to be regulation and rules in things and they have to be followed in order to ensure smooth operation. The whole thing needs to be analyzed and rules put in place to give it the structure it requires.
Agreed. It’s funny though. Players were being paid a stipend.

The hard part is implementing rules after the fact. The rules should have come first. Then the NIL followed. Attempts to implement rules after the fact will be contested as unfair restrictions.

The only way I could see it being possible is similar to a salary cap for colleges. Some transfer portal players are telling colleges that they will go to the highest bidder. Some say I’ll play for you for a certain set amount of NIL money.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So perfectly said. Cheers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The players are the product. I have zero issues with them having more power, particularly with how scummy and dishonest so many of these coaches are.