What is wrong with Stafford on some plays this year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This seems to always happen to a QB when his OL goes to shit. You start to see them making baffling, inexplicable decisions, and it doesn't seem to matter how good the QB is. We've seen it here with our previous QB1, we've seen it with guys like Mahomes when his OL went to shit. The better QBs can handle a certain amount of OL degradation, but there is always a point past which it just becomes too much and running for their life causes their decision making to go to shit (and we are WAY past that point). The bad decision making carries over even to those rare plays where the OL holds up. It's an ongoing thing and the only thing that makes it better is consistently better OL play.
Okay I'll buy that

In other words - he has been bulgerized

MachS

Hall of Fame
Stafford has definitely underwhelmed this year. His play is obviously below what we saw last year. Which leads me to believe it's some combo of elbow + horrible OL. Because last year he played lights out with virtually no running game. So while I do think our 31st ranked running game plays a factor into how teams defend us, he was able to overcome that last year with a solid OL. This season he hasn't.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
When I watch this offense... I see many things that I feel Goff did better with, such as crossing routes in time and even out routes. Stafford has been better on seam routes and off schedule throws. The one thing that is consistent is that both were sub par without a run game and proper OL play.

#complicated.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And the reason we traded for Stafford was because he could make more reads than Goff and also read the defense faster

I haven't seen that once Evans became starter
Stafford, Super Bowl winner.
Goff, Super Bowl loser.

I thought this was settled?

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matthew Stafford is probably hearing footsteps in his sleep. Can you blame him? No. That’s the OL injuries speaking. Stafford is my definitely my guy, but I’d rather sit him out if we can’t protect him.

Ellard80

Legend
again going through photo shots of plays may be fun but it's not that telling.

You could do this same thing with every QB that played last week and it would look the same -

there are often guys open that the QB doesn't see

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Stafford is off - protection is a massive part of it. This year feels off after winning the Super Bowl. Keen to see if we can turn it around

sloramfan

Starter
there's nothing wrong with MS...

he's the same guy that just won the SB last year..

it's the OL...PERIOD!!!...

and that's the fattest period i can put at the end of a sentence...

MS with protection?... it's not even a question with me.. he Will beat anyone... and he has... look at last year...

let's hope the OL gets it together, because without it, all QB's suck....

stop with the questions about MS... he's a top tier QB, he just needs an adequate OL...

MS proved himself under REDICULOUS pressure to perform, and outrageous expectations last year, and some of you doubt him?... PUH-LEEEZE...

i don't...

i saw last year what he can do... and i remember what he did....

hopefully the OL gets it going, and if they do, WATCHOUT!!! the talking heads will explode...

go rams

slo

Tano

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stafford, Super Bowl winner.
Goff, Super Bowl loser.

I thought this was settled?
You know it's always what have you done for me lately

But on the serious side - I am concerned that because Stafford has been as I put it earlier Bulgerized - he is turning more and more into what Goff was in 2020 and 2021. Stafford is still much better than Goff but wow - he has been playing like shit in most games this year

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know it's always what have you done for me lately

But on the serious side - I am concerned that because Stafford has been as I put it earlier Bulgerized - he is turning more and more into what Goff was in 2020 and 2021. Stafford is still much better than Goff but wow - he has been playing like shit in most games this year
We can't know if he's broken until the Oline is fixed. We SAW Stafford elevate his play to the highest level last year, in a streak of games in the playoffs, resulting in a Super Bowl win, with an adequate Oline.

I believe that if Stafford was our QB in Super Bowl 53, he connects with Cooks in the endzone and the whole game turns out differently. Stafford just has the "IT" factor that JG never could attain. The moment is not too big for Stafford, but it was for Goff. It's why I give Stafford a pass right now, where I wouldn't do the same for the likeable Goff.