What is wrong with Stafford on some plays this year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
I am rewatching the TB game on the ALL 22 and I saw this play and wondered he goes to Kupp all game but doesn't on this play and this was the 1st play of the game and Evans actually blocked well on this play (wow)

1668261107026.png

Tano

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And then throws short and low to a wide open Higbee that would have been a probable first down

1668261343187.png

Ellard80

Legend
He played like shit against tampa for sure...

but you could literally do this with every qb that played sunday - find multiple plays where they missed wide open people.

I cant tell from this pic if the saftey is driving hard down on kupp

Tano

Legend
QBs who are constantly under duress often rush throws even in the few plays where the protection is solid.
This was the first drive so he didn't have the pressure yet.

Tano

Legend
He played like shit against tampa for sure...

but you could literally do this with every qb that played sunday - find multiple plays where they missed wide open people.

I cant tell from this pic if the saftey is driving hard down on kupp
Naw the safety was playing back on this play

Tano

Legend
Stafford definitely does not have much awareness when being pressure - here he is scrambling a bit and doesn't see Robinson broke
open - can't really blame Stafford but man if Stafford had better scrambling abilities - he would be like Mahomes and Allen

1668263536176.png

Tano

Legend
However, Stafford made a hell of a throw on this Kupp TD throw with um guess who backing into Stafford while throwing the ball

1668263959970.png

Tano

Legend
I know this is a tough throw to make but I think he should have still tried to throw the ball deep on this play. Jefferson had broken free and Stafford was kinda looking in his direction. But instead he tried to get it to a completely covered Kupp and threw a really bad pass that almost got intercepted.

1668264990944.png

Tano

Legend
Right here he could have slowed down and waited for Jefferson to break free

1668265156811.png

Tano

Legend
I didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread on running back plays against TB but Henderson should have cut back on this play and gain a few yards instead of trying to outrun the defender and only gaining a yard or two before going OOB.

1668265737700.png

Tano

Legend
Should have throw it to Robinson on this play instead of a completely covered Jefferson. I just don't see Stafford making multiple reads this year. I know he almost never has time but even when he does - he goes to his first read the majority of the time

Kinda like what Goff did when his line broke down from Blythe's pathetic play.

And Stafford is and has been much better than Goff on these types of plays in the past. Then again Goff would make a really dumb play when he is pressured,

This year he is simply not doing well at all.

Stafford - hint hint - Robinson thrives on these types of play - go to him in these situations

1668265973730.png

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Well sometimes a QB isn't going to see everything. Most can get to their first read and maybe second on some plays. How many times does a QB have to read the whole field during a game? Just a handful really. Most are play action where it's either or, or screens, or he's just going to decide before the snap where he's going to be looking. Biggest problem with Stafford is not his decisions, but his accuracy. He's been way off this year. He's due to heat up

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why didn’t Kupp run for the first down instead of giving himself up at the end of the game?

Why didn’t the line block better?

Why didn’t Ramsey catch the ball?

Why didn’t AD pile drive Brady?

Why is Stafford throwing so many side arm passes?

Why are there so many commercials promoting gambling?

Tano

Legend
Well sometimes a QB isn't going to see everything. Most can get to their first read and maybe second on some plays. How many times does a QB have to read the whole field during a game? Just a handful really. Most are play action where it's either or, or screens, or he's just going to decide before the snap where he's going to be looking. Biggest problem with Stafford is not his decisions, but his accuracy. He's been way off this year. He's due to heat up
But I have seen Stafford in the past make these multi read throws.

But this year - it's been one maybe two before he throws it

We could definitely be seeing a Bulgerized QB out there this year

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
QBs who are constantly under duress often rush throws even in the few plays where the protection is solid.
If I punched you in the face repeatedly and you began to expect the pain of the blow, should you be blamed when you flinch when the blow doesn't come?

Tano

Legend
But I have seen Stafford in the past make these multi read throws.

But this year - it's been one maybe two before he throws it

We could definitely be seeing a Bulgerized QB out there this year
And the reason we traded for Stafford was because he could make more reads than Goff and also read the defense faster

I haven't seen that once Evans became starter

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This seems to always happen to a QB when his OL goes to shit. You start to see them making baffling, inexplicable decisions, and it doesn't seem to matter how good the QB is. We've seen it here with our previous QB1, we've seen it with guys like Mahomes when his OL went to shit. The better QBs can handle a certain amount of OL degradation, but there is always a point past which it just becomes too much and running for their life causes their decision making to go to shit (and we are WAY past that point). The bad decision making carries over even to those rare plays where the OL holds up. It's an ongoing thing and the only thing that makes it better is consistently better OL play.