What is Tavon Austin?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Many people talking up a guy who had 2 of the least statistically efficient seasons for a WR in NFL HISTORY. Makes no sense putting 100% of that blame on the coaching staff. If cutting or trading Tavon didn't create such a huge cap penalty no doubt in my mind he would be gone. You cant pay Tavon who ideally fits into a Taylor Gabriel role the type of money he is making, especially when: Donald is going to be one of the highest paid players in the league, 75% of the starting secondary set for UFA in 2018 (100% if Webster doesn't work out), and knowing the Rams contract history even though I like Ogletree the Rams will likely overpay him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...eturns-still-figuring-out-role-in-new-offense

Rams WR Tavon Austin returns; still figuring out role in new offense

IRVINE, Calif. -- Tavon Austin was back on the field when the Los Angeles Rams opened training camp on Saturday, sporting a guard on his surgically-repaired left wrist but involving himself with almost every first-team snap.

Asked about his fit in the new offense, Austin said he's "still figuring it out."

"I really haven't been in this offense for so long; probably my fourth time getting out there with the guys," he added. "However he [Sean McVay] needs me to be. Deep threat, short guy, it doesn't make a difference to me."

Austin is taking it "day-by-day" with his wrist, which still hasn't fully healed but is good enough for practice. The fifth-year receiver spent all of the offseason program working out on his own, but he looked spry at the start of training camp. He ran several deep routes while lined up on the outside, opposite new receiver Robert Woods, as part of the Rams' hopes to make him more of a vertical threat.

"It felt good just to be out there period," Austin said. "I'm back with the team; I'm glad they just welcomed me back.

Austin signed a four-year, $42 million extension weeks before the start of the 2016 season, but he has a lot to prove on a team with a new head coach and 10 other receivers, nine of whom have been added over the last two years. Austin is one of the veterans on the team, but he finds himself learning from rookies these days.

"I definitely learn from them just like they learn from me," Austin said. "I'm one of the leaders in the room, but I learn a lot of things from them when I come out here. They've been in the offense way longer than me."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What is Tavon Austin?

More RB than WR, more Punt Returner than WR & is likely our 4th or 5th best slot receiver at the moment. Your going to have to stack him in 3 or 4 WR bundles with TA in the rear to get him freed up in a short throw area but away from the LB'ers to make him dangerous. If I had any powers of suggestion for our new HC & OC......utilize TA mixed in with Gurley & new FB Sam Rogers in the backfield than deep downfield. You will end up with less incomplete pass plays that way when the game is over.

A close smaller clone of another past Ram offensive play maker Az-Zahir Ali Hakim. I would hope to use him in the way Mike Martz did. I would tend to be in a different group than most of my fellow members on the rating of TA hands...they are awful:eek:.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
you shouldn't have to scheme a #1 WR open, if he is really a #1 WR.

Back in the days of the GSOT, part of the problem for defenses was Martz's use of formation variation and motion to "scheme" guys open off the line. Most WRs not 6'3" 220 lbs have their timing thrown off by press.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I hope you are right, but my sense is that he doesn't deal well with contact at the line (5 yard cushion). It throws his timing off, and you shouldn't have to scheme a #1 WR open, if he is really a #1 WR.
Nobody says he is a number one. Jackson isn't either. What tevon is is a threat from any where on the field. McKay's statements are to expand how he is used so that the defence can't sit on bubble screens, jet sweeps, etc. He wants, and I think it is doable, to have tape of him being successful in all aspects of the offence so he and the whole offence becomes more dangerous. Just one or two deep completions to tevon changes opposing defences perception. The predictability in the way the rams have used him has also created yours and Eric davis's limited perception of tevon.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Back in the days of the GSOT, part of the problem for defenses was Martz's use of formation variation and motion to "scheme" guys open off the line. Most WRs not 6'3" 220 lbs have their timing thrown off by press.
You are making excuses. Ike Bruce would have been 10 x more effective than Austin as a #1 WR, last year. hell Az Hakim would have been much better. Austin is a GREAT gadget guy, and that's all he is to me.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nobody says he is a number one. Jackson isn't either. What tevon is is a threat from any where on the field. McKay's statements are to expand how he is used so that the defence can't sit on bubble screens, jet sweeps, etc. He wants, and I think it is doable, to have tape of him being successful in all aspects of the offence so he and the whole offence becomes more dangerous. Just one or two deep completions to tevon changes opposing defences perception. The predictability in the way the rams have used him has also created yours and Eric davis's limited perception of tevon.
i.e. talented gadget guy, paid like a #1 WR.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Dispite our thoughts and ideas of what he is..like his potential or not....we need him to ball out this year if we have hopes of a winning season... its not really important what he is to any of us....or how we see him at this point in camp.... what's important is how this staff chooses to use him....and what they get out of him. ;)

Go Rams....... ;)

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
i.e. talented gadget guy, paid like a #1 WR.
If he scores 12 TDs and opens up things for others he will be worth it. I don't care how he scores or like 2 seasons ago, when every big Todd Gurely run he took linebackers or safetys out of the play . He will be worth it.

By the way. You think Jackson is worth that kind of money. He has never been a # 1. How is the money the whiners are paying him justified. I'll tell you. Because he moves the defence, just like tevon.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not at all. Tavon is a better route runner then people give him credit for and he catches better then people realize. He played in a offenses that really didn't showcase what he can do but if McVay is the genius we all think then Tavon is going to be the weapon he was drafted to be

I used to be there with you in thinking Tavon was a victim of a run of poor OC hires. But there have been some indicators that turned me sour on him, like the whole "no receivers showing up" thing last year when Jared wanted to get on the same page with them on an off day. That demonstrated to me that he's not a leader and he is all about himself, as the guy was paid well by the Rams to be that leader.

Now look at his recent comments. All I see are excuses about how he's new to the offense. So where I'm at right now I think the Rams have a legit offensive staff running this show and as a veteran WR who is very well paid I see Tavon as needing to demonstrate that he not only belongs, but that this is his team. And with all the hoopla around Jared and whether or not he can do the job at least we have a kid who is willing to put the team first and burn the midnight oil to get better. But IMO that's not ever going to be Tavon.

Google up some vids on Jerry Rice and his practice regimen. That's what it takes to be great. Tavon's never going to be that guy unfortunately. I just don't see it and again I hope I'm wrong.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I used to be there with you in thinking Tavon was a victim of a run of poor OC hires. But there have been some indicators that turned me sour on him, like the whole "no receivers showing up" thing last year when Jared wanted to get on the same page with them on an off day. That demonstrated to me that he's not a leader and he is all about himself, as the guy was paid well by the Rams to be that leader.

Now look at his recent comments. All I see are excuses about how he's new to the offense. So where I'm at right now I think the Rams have a legit offensive staff running this show and as a veteran WR who is very well paid I see Tavon as needing to demonstrate that he not only belongs, but that this is his team. And with all the hoopla around Jared and whether or not he can do the job at least we have a kid who is willing to put the team first and burn the midnight oil to get better. But IMO that's not ever going to be Tavon.

Google up some vids on Jerry Rice and his practice regimen. That's what it takes to be great. Tavon's never going to be that guy unfortunately. I just don't see it and again I hope I'm wrong.

Honestly I think you're judging him too harshly about that whole Goff thing. Guys have their entire offseason already planned out. Tavon does exstensive training on his own and the guy wasn't even the starter so why cancel my plans when he isn't the starter. Now if Goff performs well this year I bet it's a different story next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Davis was asked about Austin, and he said what I have always said, Austin is a gadget guy and not a #1 WR.

The fortunate thing for Tavon now is that he has an offensive mind in the house who is going to force matchups. IMO this game is about forcing matchups, and the whole "you gotta have a #1 receiver" thing to do that is BS. You do not need a true #1 receiver. You need depth of matchup problems. And irt the Rams' offense, what do the matchup problems look like after the other team uses their top CB to remove one of them?

I'd say they have a chance to be average there this year. McVay has his work cut out, that's for sure, but he does have some talent to work with that fits his scheme. It's going to be all about how quickly he can get Higbee, Woods, Kupp, etc going and playing fast to execute the matchups McVay wants.

Game 1 against the Colts they will remove Woods. How will the Rams respond? I suspect much better than what we saw last season. We're going to have a passing game this year gents.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"I really haven't been in this offense for so long; probably my fourth time getting out there with the guys," he added. "However he [Sean McVay] needs me to be. Deep threat, short guy, it doesn't make a difference to me."

-------snip--------------

"I definitely learn from them just like they learn from me," Austin said. "I'm one of the leaders in the room, but I learn a lot of things from them when I come out here. They've been in the offense way longer than me."

I might be judging Tavon harshly here, but reading between the lines I don't like where his head is at. Seems to me he's still that guy who thinks he can take the field and just win due to his talent. And it ain't gonna go down like that in McVay's offense, I'll tell you that. He'd better become a student of this scheme quick-like and in a hurry if he wants to be a part of this offensive revival.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he scores 12 TDs and opens up things for others he will be worth it. I don't care how he scores or like 2 seasons ago, when every big Todd Gurely run he took linebackers or safetys out of the play . He will be worth it.
Sure, but he has to actually do it. We all want him to.

Ram65

Legend
I might be judging Tavon harshly here, but reading between the lines I don't like where his head is at. Seems to me he's still that guy who thinks he can take the field and just win due to his talent. And it ain't gonna go down like that in McVay's offense, I'll tell you that. He'd better become a student of this scheme quick-like and in a hurry if he wants to be a part of this offensive revival.

i think you have a misconception of Tavon. By all reports he is a hard worker both in the WR room and on the practice field.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The fortunate thing for Tavon now is that he has an offensive mind in the house who is going to force matchups. IMO this game is about forcing matchups, and the whole "you gotta have a #1 receiver" thing to do that is BS. You do not need a true #1 receiver. You need depth of matchup problems. And irt the Rams' offense, what do the matchup problems look like after the other team uses their top CB to remove one of them?

I'd say they have a chance to be average there this year. McVay has his work cut out, that's for sure, but he does have some talent to work with that fits his scheme. It's going to be all about how quickly he can get Higbee, Woods, Kupp, etc going and playing fast to execute the matchups McVay wants.

Game 1 against the Colts they will remove Woods. How will the Rams respond? I suspect much better than what we saw last season. We're going to have a passing game this year gents.
I never said that. but is better to HAVE a #1 WR, than not..THAT is not BS.