What I liked and didn't like

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Tavon Austin's whole game :ja:
Alec Ogletree's two and almost three turnover :nana:
We got consistent pressure on Manning with little to no trickery :clap:
I Pead silenced the critics for a game :wewt:
We played Denver to a stand still AT Invesco :tooth:
Dan Dierdorf kept it positive and in doing so gave us stark contrast with Bernie Kosar (gonna be a homer,fine, don't be a dick about it) :tyty:
We played our 4th string QB in his home state so his peeps got to see him, :bangin:
Fisher went for two since a tie was assured and he wanted his boys to have the win (Clemens especially) :bowdown:
Clemens looked kinda clutch on that last drive :ww:

Quick dropped the two point conversion :wahhh: but I think he'll remember it and endeavor to rectify that mistake

My one criticism of Fisher ,John Fox let Osweiler have the number one offense , I think that's the best way to evaluate you backup,I wish we had let our o-line stay out there longer ( except Saffold HAD to get him out of there)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dierdorf was great. He said so many things that I've said on different forums over the years, that he gave my entire life validation in one evening. lol.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Dierdorf was great. He said so many things that I've said on different forums over the years, that he gave my entire life validation in one evening. lol.

I've been a Dierdorf fan forever, I was there the day he suffered the terrible knee injury on a special teams play.
Ed Jones broke his jaw with a crown of the helmet hit had to have it wired shut, he lost like 20 pounds in two weeks(my God he has to eat a lot).

I'm a huge Jon Fox fan as well, even when we were in the same division as Carolina and he was their coach, he's just a class act ,the world needs more people like him and Dierdorf

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Thordaddy said:
Dan Dierdorf kept it positive and in doing so gave us stark contrast with Bernie Kosar (gonna be a homer,fine, don't be a dick about it) :tyty:
We played our 4th string QB in his home state so his peeps got to see him, :bangin:
Fisher went for two since a tie was assured and he wanted his boys to have the win (Clemens especially) :bowdown:

Quick dropped the two point conversion :wahhh: but I think he'll remember it and endeavor to rectify that mistake

My one criticism of Fisher ,John Fox let Osweiler have the number one offense , I think that's the best way to evaluate you backup,I wish we had let our o-line stay out there longer ( except Saffold HAD to get him out of there)

I agree with most. Didn't see alot of pressure on Manning, mostly just sent 4 and he really didnt have to worry much. Although Fish kept it simple, I really think keeping everything in front of the D is how he's going to play QB's like Manning.

Not really sure if I saw SB go thru his progression once?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
EastRam said:
Thordaddy said:

I agree with most. Didn't see alot of pressure on Manning, mostly just sent 4 and he really didnt have to worry much. Although Fish kept it simple, I really think keeping everything in front of the D is how he's going to play QB's like Manning.

We pushed the pocket and FWIW forced Manning to play game speed ,he didn't get massive time,no one gets to Manning but when we blitzed we laid him out and that's a rare sight.

I thought the sight adjust Givens missed was pretty bad as well, you can blame him , but IMO Sam shoulda known he didn't see it because that sort of communication needs signals.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
I thought the sight adjust Givens missed was pretty bad as well, you can blame him , but IMO Sam shoulda known he didn't see it because that sort of communication needs signals.
Not really, TD. If a defense blitzes, the quarterback and receiver must both (on the fly and after the snap) recognize it and adjust routes accordingly. It's the reason why Chad Johnson was such an abysmal failure in New England. They have no less than 5 different routes receivers have to run based on pre and post snap reads.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
Not really, TD. If a defense blitzes, the quarterback and receiver must both (on the fly and after the snap) recognize it and adjust routes accordingly. It's the reason why Chad Johnson was such an abysmal failure in New England. They have no less than 5 different routes receivers have to run based on pre and post snap reads.
Well I thought they tipped the blitz pre snap X and they could have had a communication

I have only seen the play once so maybe I'm mistaken about that dunno.

I've seen some vid about the communications between Manning and his recs. where even how they are swinging their arms is a signal to him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:
Well I thought they tipped the blitz pre snap X and they could have had a communication

I've seen some vid about the communications between Manning and his recs. where even how they are swinging their arms is a signal to him.
Could have been pre snap - I'll have to watch again too. But still ... there's a silent understanding that happens between receiver and QB when that happens post snap (sight 'adjustment'), but it's also something the two of them should know if it's shown pre snap (adjust the route). It's good it happened now anyway. Because, "Shoot.... they'll fix that."

EastRam

Pro Bowler
X said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:

Could have been pre snap - I'll have to watch again too. But still ... there's a silent understanding that happens between receiver and QB when that happens post snap (sight 'adjustment'), but it's also something the two of them should know if it's shown pre snap (adjust the route). It's good it happened now anyway. Because, "Shoot.... they'll fix that."

I put the site adjusment squarely on Givens. Heck even my wife knew they were sending the house!..lol. The play where Givens should have ran the slant.

Was it Givens on the endzone pass where he broke inside instead of turning more towards the left side of the EZ?

The possible Pettis TD was on Sam. bad throw.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:

Yupyupyup,I agree and FWIW I think Quick learned sumthin on the two point play too.
Gonna be fun watchin these studs grow up and IMO come to dominate this league.

I think we have become the most physically talented team in the league at wr in two years of drafting and a key FA signing, if we can protect Sam ,he's gonna need saltpeter to keep from having a perpetual woody.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
EastRam said:
Heck even my wife knew they were sending the house!..lol.

So you are saying not only is she smarter than you ,she's smarter than Givens?

moklerman

Warner-phile
There was a lot to like including the defense overall, Ogletree and of course Austin finally getting in the open field.

I was less pleased with the passing game. I think this team is going to have to rely on it very heavily and I don't feel like a) Bradford is seeing the field all that well and b) Bradford and the receivers aren't seeing things the same way.

As to a), the play that disappointed me was the third and long where Bradford forced it to Cook. I really hope he isn't going to revert to that habit. Whenever he's had a favorite receiver he's tended to lock onto that guy. Whether Clayton, Amendola or whoever. On the same play, he had a receiver down the right seam wide open for the first down and Austin over the middle wiiiiide open for an easy completion. Forcing the ball to Cook on that play, to me, means he got tunnel vision and I hope it isn't an actual problem for him.

And, just because I know how much everyone around here loves Bernie Kosar right now, I think his point about the WR coach may have some validity. This group still continues to unimpress. There were a couple of plays that I now don't remember but overall this preseason, the WR corps has pretty much been performing poorly IMO. Even Bailey dropped one yesterday.

What I really fear is that the running game is going to continue to be non-existent. Between the RB's not being particularly great and the o-line not being there yet the running game has been a non-factor. I'm not pressing the panic button but I don't like a lot of the signs that I've been seeing. I'm not an NFL coach and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I hope I'm wrong, but I've had growing concerns through the preseason which haven't been alleviated yet.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What I liked...Alec Ogletree making plays. I still think he's gonna have a longer than expected developing time, but at the very least I hope can be a playmaker this year.

What I didn't...being a national game I was psyched all day for it. Then I flip on the guide and CBS has...the Dallas Cowboys and Cincinnati Bengals? OK, w/e since I'm in a affiliate market I just turn it to ABC...nope fuckin NASCAR was on.

Needless to say I was pissed that I had to watch the gold bars move on NFL gamecenter.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
EastRam seeing it like me:
I agree with most. Didn't see a lot of pressure on Manning, mostly just sent 4 and he really didnt have to worry much. Although Fish kept it simple, I really think keeping everything in front of the D is how he's going to play QB's like Manning.

Good post TD.

Let me add one more like and one more dislike.

Like: I liked the play of Austin Davis. I didn't see the antsy feet people are talking about and in his first drive he was sabotaged by that stupid penalty and his protection was nonexistent. He also had one dropped pass and probably two. I thought he played well considering. Denver's D tied us for the lead in sacks last year and their second string D clearly outplayed our O-line. By the time Clemens got in, both teams were down to their third stringers and frankly, I don't see see much fall off from our second string O-line players and our third stringers. Both are already down on the bottom. As someone else mentioned, I'd like to see them both have a chance to play with the first string O-line in the fourth game.

Dislike: Again with the huge cushion our DBs gave their WRs. I just can't wrap my head around that. :huh: Totally unsurprising that the Broncos amassed almost 450 yards of offense against us.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
What I didn't like? NFLN has this whip around thing going on while all the preseason games were playing, so I expected to see the Rams some. All I got was a replay of Austin's punt return and Bradford's TD to Cook. They didn't even do them during recaps. It was all Jets/Giants and Cowboys/Bengals. Even Titans/Falcons got some live play.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
oNCE IN A WHILE i'D LIKE sAM TO THROW IT AWAY

Once in a while I'd like Sam to throw it away instead of getting sacked! Love Dierdorf! Went to his last game and sat through the halftime ceremony honoring him. 9 degrees with wind chill of -20! Only for Dierdorf!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
moklerman said:
As to a), the play that disappointed me was the third and long where Bradford forced it to Cook. I really hope he isn't going to revert to that habit. Whenever he's had a favorite receiver he's tended to lock onto that guy. Whether Clayton, Amendola or whoever. On the same play, he had a receiver down the right seam wide open for the first down and Austin over the middle wiiiiide open for an easy completion. Forcing the ball to Cook on that play, to me, means he got tunnel vision and I hope it isn't an actual problem for him.

I was disappointed too. Austin was wide open underneath. Could have given him the chance. That all said, it was also the play when Von Miller came free and Bradford was able to elude what should have been an easy sack...so it's difficult to get too angry with him for just trying to get rid of the football.

But I also had some questions about his field vision and going through progressions. Hopefully, they'll be answered when the real games start.