What I believe some have overlooked.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The kicking game. The Rams probably have the best punter and kicker combination in the entire NFL. People tend to take the Kicking game for granted and they only think about when they don't have a good one. Zuerlein and Hekker are worth 3 or 4 wins a season.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This year has been so bad for kickers. Even ole reliables like Mason Crosby, Dan Bailey, etc.

I don't ever worry with Greg.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't worry at all about Hekker. Except maybe he can get rusty due to lack of work. I only worry about Zuerline's health. He's had some injury issues the past couple seasons. Something didn't look right about him Monday night. I saw him walking in the background on a replay and it sure looked like he had a limp. I do agree when healthy he's probably the best. But I hate the "when healthy" caveat for players.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Funny you mention that. The Chiefs were the first team in a while that was outperforming us in the returns/field position game, and granted not by that much but still they looked to be doing a better job than we were. UNTIL that final punt by Hekk.

GZ did not have his usual game vs the Chiefs.

Ellard80

Legend
Funny you mention that. The Chiefs were the first team in a while that was outperforming us in the returns/field position game, and granted not by that much but still they looked to be doing a better job than we were. UNTIL that final punt by Hekk.

GZ did not have his usual game vs the Chiefs.

Yeah what was up with the short kickoffs?

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
The last punt by Hekker; we got lucky because Hill made a mistake by returning it from too deep, otherwise it was headed for the endzone.

GZ wasn't getting his normal depth on kickoffs. Maybe that was on purpose, maybe planned but I noticed it.

No denying that we have a top kicker/punter combination but we do get lucky bounces sometimes.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Earlier in the game, GZ slipped on one of the many kickoffs. Just happened to see it and there was no replay. After that slip is when the short and/or low kicks started. Either he tweaked something or the slick grass was having an impact in my opinion.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Greg Zuerlein signed a 3 year, $6,750,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including a $750,000 signing bonus, $2,375,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,250,000. In 2018, Zuerlein will earn a base salary of $2,050,000, a roster bonus of $250,000 and a incentive bonus of $1,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $3,550,000 and a dead cap value of $750,000. He will be UFA in March 2020. GZ will be 31 yrs old next season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/greg-zuerlein-9992/

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Greg Zuerlein's injury history concerns me. It appeared against the Chiefs that there was an issue because his kickoffs were coming up short and they never do. Also in fairness, the Chiefs With Harrison Butker and the Saints with Will Lutz have kickers in my mind are just as good as Zuerlein and might have an edge because of the injuries. Hekker is better than both Dustin Colquitt (Chiefs) & Thomas Morstead (Saints), but if the Ram defense can't stop anyone, it does not become an issue.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
GZ slipped on the dewy, slick grass surface at the Coliseum. During the evening, the mist from the Pacific always rolls in and with the playing field crappy as it is, it did not really help the players on either team.

I hope the equipment guys notice this and have the players change cleats during the evening games.

Ram65

Legend
I think the Rams special teams have been less impressive since late last year starting against the Titans. The coverage teams seemed to not cover as well. No Michael Thomas this year on coverage. Hekker had the big punt but, has been a little inconsistent this year. JZ has to stay healthy. I want to see a little more intensity on coverage. I'll take JZ and Johnny come playoffs but, as mentioned other teams have good kickers too.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Ya, I openly wondered why his Kickoffs were not entering the endzone. i gotta assume he was "stiff" or banged up just a little. Lets hope he ready for the cold in the windy city.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't worry at all about Hekker. Except maybe he can get rusty due to lack of work. I only worry about Zuerline's health. He's had some injury issues the past couple seasons. Something didn't look right about him Monday night. I saw him walking in the background on a replay and it sure looked like he had a limp. I do agree when healthy he's probably the best. But I hate the "when healthy" caveat for players.

It was the turf. He nearly fell down on one kick. Both kickers on Monday night had plant foot issues.

I think GZ is fine. When his plant foot was able to set, his kicks were either out of the end zone or splitting the uprights.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
GZ has had some health issues, and that does concern me...

But he’s the kind of kicker you keep for his entire career, if you can. I’d circle him for an extension this offseason, with just 1 year remaining on his deal.

jjab360

Legend
Ah, I remember the days when the kicking game and was literally the only above average part of this team haha

Q729

Legend
I'm not sure. I saw both kickers kicking short at times. Maybe it was by design. Or maybe a certain side of the field was just shitty.

RamWoodie

Legend
I know I haven't overlooked the kicking game. GZ can give you points from distance and Hekker can change field position. Hard to overlook assets like that!!!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I agree we have great kickers and we are very fortunate. Neither of them are having their best seasons but they are still very good