What ever happened with Stetson Bennet?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I quit giving a shit about this a while back. I thought he'd be a nice fit for backup, but if he's in a place where the game isn't a priority then we don't need him around.
Never understood the pick. He was never going to be a starter who could hold up for 7 or 8 games, let alone for an entire season. Just way to slightly built and short.

And if the idea was to just draft a guy, who at best will be a back up only, then to me, using even a 4th rd pick was a waste especially for a team in desperate need of filling so many holes on the roster.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
The wide speculation behind the scenes from reporters is depression. Can't verify it without naming names, but that's why everyone is reportedly giving him his privacy.
If that’s the case, he should talk to Dak as someone who’s dealt with depression at the QB position.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The wide speculation behind the scenes from reporters is depression. Can't verify it without naming names, but that's why everyone is reportedly giving him his privacy.

Yeah, used to college girls giving him head for 7 years and suddenly having to look at older women doing it. Must be depressing for him. Although I'm pretty sure the older women would be much better at it. And look much better doing it.

Different strokes for different folks.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Yeah, used to college girls giving him head for 7 years and suddenly having to look at older women doing it. Must be depressing for him. Although I'm pretty sure the older women would be much better at it. And look much better doing it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Three nuns are sitting on a park bench when a guy in a trench coat stands in front of them, throws the coat open, and flashes his otherwise naked body.

First nun has a stroke.

Second nun has a stroke.

Third nun couldn’t reach.

(Note: for the purposes of the joke, the women don’t necessarily have to be nuns, but it somehow makes it funnier!)

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Never understood the pick. He was never going to be a starter who could hold up for 7 or 8 games, let alone for an entire season. Just way to slightly built and short.

And if the idea was to just draft a guy, who at best will be a back up only, then to me, using even a 4th rd pick was a waste especially for a team in desperate need of filling so many holes on the roster.
Well these things are relative with the draft too Philly. I preferred the kid the Vikes took, but at that point in the draft a bunch of those mid tier QBs who are probably looking at backup type careers went off the board. If the Rams would have hit on the pick I'd be fine with it. They just seem to have missed something significant in the evaluation. Live and learn. Given the quality of that class not gonna be too worked up about it.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can we just hope the guy gets the help he needs? If he is suffering from depression, substance abuse, or both, he needs help. Not jokes, whining about draft position, and anything else that some on this board feel necessary to demean someone who is in obvious need for help. Obviously, these posters have not had a family member suffer from depression and subsequent suicide like I have. I don't want you to either. Football is a fucking sport. Depression and/or substance abuse could be the rest of your life. Leave it alone already.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Can we just hope the guy gets the help he needs? If he is suffering from depression, substance abuse, or both, he needs help. Not jokes, whining about draft position, and anything else that some on this board feel necessary to demean someone who is in obvious need for help. Obviously, these posters have not had a family member suffer from depression and subsequent suicide like I have. I don't want you to either. Football is a fucking sport. Depression and/or substance abuse could be the rest of your life. Leave it alone already.
That's a different issue. I think we can separate the two.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@PhillyRam. No, not really man. It's his issue and if others want to sidestep it and bash him, that's on y'all. Truth of the fucking matter is that when Stafford went down this year, if we had Bennet, you might have just seen something. It's because of his current condition that you didn't. They are the same issue.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Sadly, I think it's a substance abuse issue.

It sucks, because I was the caboose of the Bennett hype train. And it's been derailed.

I above all, hope he got what he needed and is doing wondering!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I hated the pick then and I hate it even more now.

When is the last time a mid round or late round draft pick went on to become a different maker at QB, as opposed to an average starter or worse (and even that would be a smashing success for the draft position)? Russel Wilson? Dak Prescott? Kirk Cousins? It seems like it happens only once every several years... I wouldn't even bother wasting draft capital on a QB after round 2. Sure, it is possible they become something. The Rams saw the Kurt Warner miracle story first hand. But it is statistically extremely unlikely. Far better off going RB, CB, or any other position where players regularly get picked in that range and go on to be difference makers. For QBs, you basically need to invest prime draft capital or pay up via free agency or trade, or you can forget about it. It was for this reason I disliked the Bennett pick. Then we find out post draft he appears to be a bit of an arrogant punk, and some months later still, allegedly has a substance abuse issue.

Better off turning the page on this one. And fast. You can maybe have this drama at other positions. Not at QB, which is your leader and face of franchise.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I wish him well and if he doesn't get his shit together, he just blew the chance of a lifetime.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
@PhillyRam. No, not really man. It's his issue and if others want to sidestep it and bash him, that's on y'all. Truth of the fucking matter is that when Stafford went down this year, if we had Bennet, you might have just seen something. It's because of his current condition that you didn't. They are the same issue.
Where did I bash him? I just said I didn't understand the pick and was disappointed in that selection.

The Rams could draft my son and I would call it a horrendous pick, but that doesn't mean I am bashing my son personally.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams could draft my son and I would call it a horrendous pick, but that doesn't mean I am bashing my son personally.
"Now that's a parent I can respect."
~ Adrian Peterson

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If it is substance abuse and he gets the help he needs, it is very likely he gets through it as a better stronger man than he was before. And if he never plays another down in the NFL, it just shows what a crap shoot the draft really is. I personally hope he returns and is a solid backup QB. Over the last 20 years I have seen many miracles recover from substance abuse and become stronger, better people than they ever thought they could be.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I agree completely - and coming from me given my feelings on Bennett, and given my past with mental health, that should mean something. If he's suffering from depression, substance abuse, personal issues, whatever, I just hope he gets the help he obviously needs. I don't care about the draft pick at this point; we had a hell of a draft as it is, and at the end of the day, he's a human being who is clearly suffering. We owe him compassion, as given to any human being who is suffering and needs help. He's still a Ram, even if he never plays another down. He's still one of the team.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I agree completely - and coming from me given my feelings on Bennett, and given my past with mental health, that should mean something. If he's suffering from depression, substance abuse, personal issues, whatever, I just hope he gets the help he obviously needs. I don't care about the draft pick at this point; we had a hell of a draft as it is, and at the end of the day, he's a human being who is clearly suffering. We owe him compassion, as given to any human being who is suffering and needs help. He's still a Ram, even if he never plays another down. He's still one of the team.
So then we shouldn't have called Lawrence Phillips a bad pick because he had personal problems?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I am honestly happy with Wentz staying as our backup rather than trusting Bennett to keep himself clean for a full season again. It was known that the guy had problems well before the draft.

Tano

Legend
Of course if we didn't take Bennett, that would have changed the whole perspective of the draft and maybe we don't get Puka.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Well, if Tano is right it was well worth the pick. I am still holding out hope for Bennett, but I would like to see the Rams pick another QB somewhere in this draft, there seem to be many with NFL potential.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I hated the pick then and I hate it even more now.

When is the last time a mid round or late round draft pick went on to become a different maker at QB, as opposed to an average starter or worse (and even that would be a smashing success for the draft position)? Russel Wilson? Dak Prescott? Kirk Cousins? It seems like it happens only once every several years... I wouldn't even bother wasting draft capital on a QB after round 2. Sure, it is possible they become something. The Rams saw the Kurt Warner miracle story first hand. But it is statistically extremely unlikely. Far better off going RB, CB, or any other position where players regularly get picked in that range and go on to be difference makers. For QBs, you basically need to invest prime draft capital or pay up via free agency or trade, or you can forget about it. It was for this reason I disliked the Bennett pick. Then we find out post draft he appears to be a bit of an arrogant punk, and some months later still, allegedly has a substance abuse issue.

Better off turning the page on this one. And fast. You can maybe have this drama at other positions. Not at QB, which is your leader and face of franchise.
4th round on, it's worth a shot. It's true most successful QBs are drafted high. For multiple reasons. Talent is the first but more than that, they're given the most rope due to the financial investment. Some even get a second or third (Wentz) chance because some genius thinks he can do what two others couldn't. There have been many successful QBs drafted after the first two rounds. With Bennett the aim seemed to be backup QB at worst, possibly a starter down the road. Certainly worth a 4th. And when you have the success McVay and Snead have had in the lower rounds, it's not like you're wasting a pick. If it doesn't work out, water under the proverbial bridge.