What does RG Jamon Brown's two-game suspension mean for the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
What does RG Jamon Brown's two-game suspension mean for the Rams?

July 4, 2018

| By:

Jake Ellenbogen

227364_f7356e42d16a4a2f9ef1fc5b004131ce~mv2.webp

Yesterday, the NFL announced the suspension of Jamon Brown which will last two games after he violated the league's substance abuse policy. The question now remains: what is next for the Rams?

With Brown missing the first two games it actually breaks up a group of five men that played next to each-other 16 out of 17 games last year. Brown's suspension, however, will open the door for the Rams to do a multitude of different things in his place. The first thing is one of the more interesting things...

Shuffling of the offensive line. No, I'm not talking about the right side with Andrew Whitworth, Rodger Saffold or even the center position held down by John Sullivan. I'm talking about the potential of moving Rob Havenstein from the right tackle position and kicking him inside at right guard. This is the first option which would allow the Rams to then move 3rd-round selection Joseph Noteboom in at right tackle and allow him to get some playing team to start his rookie year. Yes, Noteboom was not brought in to start but this is simply an opportunity I don't believe the Rams should pass up. Havenstein played guard while Brown played tackle for a bit in camp and while the Rams did switch the two back to their respective positions, it would be interesting to see Havenstein kick inside again.

Another option would be to place Noteboom in at guard and I don't think this is the best option at all. I think he needs to grow into his body more and while he's athletic, I don't believe he has the bulk inside to play guard. Nothing like killing your rookie's confidence early then to play him out of position and watch him struggle because of it. However, if the Rams do want to play a rookie at guard they could and should consider the potential of Jamil Demby. Demby, like Noteboom, was a Senior Bowl standout and has shown the ability to win consistently inside. He's the most natural fit, in this case, otherwise, you could look at potentially getting the rookie fourth-round pick Brian Allen some work or even backup center Austin Blythe.

While many tend to look at the bad in this (and of course, it's not great that a potential franchise guard in a contract year was suspended for substance abuse) it's important to have the mindset of next-man-up. The Rams will be fine no matter where they go and it's only two games at that. Overall, it should be exciting to see what the Rams do with this opportunity, whether they feel the need to have the rookies battle it out or place a veteran like Blythe in, remains a mystery but it's a storyline that should excite big-time Rams fans this summer.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think the worst thing you can do is start shuffling the line and start moving your starting RT to RG. There are plenty of players that can step in at RG. My guess is Blythe. Definitely can't wait to see who steps up

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Don’t move Big Rob.

Tried it last year and it didn’t work too well.

dang

Legend
This situation allows for another spot on the 53 man roster for the first 2 weeks and a 2 game evaluation of additional OG players. There were going to be some tough decisions at the end of the season regarding the OL so this allows for an early assessment.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would much rather they put Noteboom in it Right Guard than move Havenstein over.

Honestly, they can't even risk Goff's health for two games by having a rookie right tackle if you don't need to have a rookie right tackle.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Nothing like killing your rookie's confidence early then to play him out of position and watch him struggle because of it.
This is exactly what they did with Jamon Brown.
They took a college Tackle and moved him back and forth between Left Guard and Right Guard.
Last year was his first solid year because of that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Going to concur with @Soul Surfer on this I like Havenstein at RT and there be some options for LG...Blythe, Demby, Neary & Lucas for example. Most likely Austin Blythe, who played really well at Guard last season filling in for Saffold.