What do we have in Kenny Young?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Was he just “tossed-in” the Marcus Peters trade?

Or is there something here? The Ravens liked him... it’s not like he was hanging on their roster like a draft pick they couldn’t get to play up to his draft position. He was playing.

Ravens Rookie Linebacker Kenny Young Is Chasing Perfection

No matter where he lives, Kenny Young keeps every room spotless. Everything is in its place, every day.

Even when he is not chasing running backs, Young chases perfection.
"I definitely don't need a maid," Young said, laughing in the Ravens locker room. "It irks me when I see something out of place."

That drive for perfection has taken the rookie inside linebacker a long way, from his hometown in Boutte, La., to college at UCLA, to the Ravens, where Young's NFL career is off to a promising start.

The knee injury to inside linebacker C.J. Mosley early in Week 2 against the Cincinnati Bengals thrust Young into the starting lineup. He responded with seven tackles and several highlight plays, a fast-moving torpedo constantly flashing around the ball.

From the moment he arrived at rookie camp as a fourth-round pick, Young has impressed coaches with his nonstop motor, his ability to process information quickly, and his confidence. That is no surprise to Young's high school coach, J.T. Curtis, who is a Louisiana legend.

Curtis is coaching his 50th season at John Curtis Christian School in suburban New Orleans, and he has coached a dozen players who have reached the NFL, including Reggie Dupard and the late Joe McKnight.

Young's determination is what Curtis recalls most.

"Kenny always wanted to improve himself, no matter how well he played," Curtis said during a telephone interview. "I'm sure he had his kid moments like everybody else, but he was always focused, where he needed to be. He's got a great personality, a fun-loving guy. He doesn't walk around with a scowl on his face, like 'I'm the tough football player.' He enjoys life, but he always stays centered.

"If anybody had a reason not to be successful, it was Kenny. Kenny's background and family situation were difficult sometimes. He could've made excuses about it. He didn't."

Young lived in high school with the parents of his best friend, who took in Young several years earlier. According to a Los Angeles Times story in 2016, Young moved in with the parents of his friend, Amonte Brown, to lessen the financial burden on Young's biological mother.

Young chose not to talk in detail about his family background when asked it about it recently. When asked if he had a challenging childhood, Young gave a thoughtful answer.

"Were we rich?" Young said. "Depends on what you define as rich. There were a bunch of riches that were instilled inside of me that come from my grandparents, passed down to my parents, passed down to my extended family, as far as principles and your mindset, and how you should live. That right there is something money can't buy.

"As kids, when times were hard, I really can't remember me stressing about it. My parents did such a great job of not putting that type of stress on us."

By the time he was a high school senior, Young was clearly headed for a college football career. It had long been his dream to play for LSU, but when he visited UCLA, Young's plans changed.

"My horizons expanded," Young said. "I saw there was more out there for me. I made an overall choice, not to put my eggs in one basket. Football was going to be there, but it's going to end one day. The connections you make, the relationships you build, they all matter."

Young was a member of the debate team at UCLA, an extracurricular activity you won't find on the resume of most NFL inside linebackers. He said the experience has helped him communicate with teammates and feel at ease in a variety of settings.

"I come from the woods in Louisiana," Young said. "I was naïve coming out of high school, didn't really know what I was getting into. The greatest thing for me coming out of high school was to go 2,000 miles away from Louisiana. To see California for the first time, I was like, 'Whoa! Man, this is insane.' Hollywood is not who I am, but to go to the beach, nice restaurants, meet dope people who want to see you succeed? It felt good to be around good energy. I think it was all meant for me to go there."

Young started four seasons at UCLA and thought he would be drafted no later than the second round. But watching the draft with family and friends in Louisiana, Young waited through two days and three rounds without hearing his name called. That is another reason he arrived in Baltimore so driven to succeed.

"When the first day went by and I wasn't drafted, I was like, 'OK, that's fair,'' Young said. "But when Day 2 went by? I was like, `Holy (crap).' They don't see it? They can't tell?

''I'm a huge competitor. Put competition and me in the same room? I love to be in that room. But it's OK. I'm in no greater place than where I am right now. I just think the stars aligned for me to be here in Baltimore, fourth-round, 122nd pick. I could've gone somewhere else, been drafted higher. But would I be happy? I'm happy here."

The Ravens are happy, too. Young has earned his playing time, and the coaching staff hopes he has just scratched the surface.

"He's a smart guy, so he doesn't get overwhelmed by a mistake," Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh said. "He's not scared to make a mistake. He's willing to play fast even if he does make a mistake. And sometimes, some of the plays you see him making? He might not be perfectly where he's supposed to be, but that willingness to play fast overcomes it, and you go make a good football play."

Asked if Young has the ability to be a three-down linebacker, Harbaugh did not hesitate.

"Absolutely," Harbaugh said. "He could be on the field all three downs now. The more he learns, obviously, the more he can do that. But, I would say he has that potential, yes."

Early in the third quarter against Cincinnati, Young exploded into the Bengals' backfield and dropped running back Joe Mixon for a two-yard loss. It was the kind of play that has earned Young the respect of his peers. Ravens veteran linebacker Terrell Suggs said he knew Young would respond to the challenge of filling in for Mosley. Why was Suggs, a 16-year veteran, so sure about Young?

"I just like that he's a young dog," Suggs said. "When you have a young dog that can run like he can run and just go, everything else can be corrected. We like you if you can just go and run and go make plays and go wreak havoc. Everything else can be coached. We like that kind of dog in him."

Young enjoys debate, but there is no arguing his NFL intentions. He wants to be a great player, not just a good one.

"People say all the time, 'The sky's the limit,'" Young said. "The sky's not the limit. There's another galaxy out there. If your mind can perceive that, you can push yourself even higher. That way, no matter where you land, you'll land somewhere great."

To Curtis, watching Young making an immediate impact with the Ravens is no surprise. It reminds him of when Young started high school. The coach figured Young's best was yet to come. Curtis still feels that way.

"I thought he'd be a second-round pick this year, athletically, intellectually, and when you looked at the intangibles," Curtis said. "I know there are probably a lot of scouts scratching their heads now saying, 'How did we miss?' And they need to be."

Kenny Young Expects to Be a Playmaker in Middle of Ravens' Defense

The biggest defensive plays of the Ravens' 2018 season came from inside linebackers.

When C.J. Mosley leaped to tip and intercept Baker Mayfield's pass in Week 17, it gave the Ravens the AFC North title. When Patrick Onwuasor punched the ball out of Antonio Gates' grasp the week before, it sealed an epic win in Los Angeles.

Now Mosley is gone and the Ravens are looking for another playmaker next to Onwuasor in the middle of their defense. Second-year linebacker Kenny Young believes he's just the man for the job.

"I'm not going to make expectations for myself so soon, but what I expect to do right from the get-go is compete hard and make plays," Young said. "My expectation is to make plays. That's it. Make plays."

A fourth-round pick out of UCLA, Young had a strong rookie season, playing in all 16 games with four starts. He registered 51 tackles, 2.5 sacks and once forced fumble.

Young was an immediate contributor. He had a sack in his first NFL game and started for the first time in just his third game, in which he logged 10 tackles. But, eventually, Onwuasor claimed the starting job and the majority of the snaps.

Head Coach John Harbaugh made it clear that Onwuasor will be a starter in 2019, taking over Mosley's role and likely his high snap count as well. Young and fellow second-year linebacker Chris Board, an undrafted rookie last year, will compete for the other spot and will likely share the role.

"I think Chris Board is playing like a starter. I also think Kenny Young is playing like a starter," Harbaugh said. "Those guys are playing really, really fast.

"I would be anticipating us to play with a three-man rotation in there, with 'Peanut' [Onwuasor] taking all the reps and those other two guys playing packages with Anthony Levine."

Young is a super speedy linebacker who is adept moving in any direction. He can drop in coverage, charge the line of scrimmage and track down ball carriers from sideline to sideline.

His biggest adjustment, he said, was the mental part of the game.
"I think the game is 90 percent mental and 10 percent physical. If you can get the game worked out in your mind, you're going to be a great player in this league," Young said.

"As far as awareness wise, I feel like I'm lightyears ahead of where I need to be. And the credit for that goes to the coaches. I'm way more prepared than I've ever been in my entire football career. Things are slower for me."

Young said his focus will continue to be on understanding schemes and how the offense is trying to attack the defense. "It's about ironing out the details to take it to another level," he said.

When Mosley signed with the New York Jets, Young sent him a congratulatory text message. Young said Mosley responded with something like, "You and Peanut take over."

"I was shocked," Young said. "I thought he was going to be the Tom Brady of our defense, sign the next contract and stay with us and be the face of this defense. It's a business, that's one thing I learned from it. I'm trying to be the next man up."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He was made inactive a couple of weeks before he was traded to the Rams. They signed a couple of other lbers and made him inactive.

If he wasn't part of the trade talks before he was made inactive it doesn't look like a good sign.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would like to see Kenny Young actually play a game for the Rams to render an opinion on him...I do know some wrote that Rams demanded that Young be part of the deal, that might have been Wade Phillips, who is now gone.

Now Young played well at UCLA and seems to be a pretty good ILB, however, he could not get on the field and Troy Reeder was and IMO, Reeder was not good. Now, maybe it might have take Young some time to adjust to a new system, but defensively, usually if a player can make plays they put him out there...Again I need to see Young play before any of us can see what he brings to the table.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He was made inactive a couple of weeks before he was traded to the Rams. They signed a couple of other lbers and made him inactive.If he wasn't part of the trade talks before he was made inactive it doesn't look like a good sign.
You are correct. I had the opportunity to watch several of his 2019 early snaps with the Ravens defense.......trying to be nice here......Young did not standout or make any plays. Several times he made bad reads.

My comments on Kenny Young in my posts in 2020 have not been positive. Sure appears that Kiser & Howard end up being the starters inside with some Floyd taking up the inside posts in this cloaked new defensive scheme. If new OLB'er Terrell Lewis is what he appears to be then he may push for defensive snaps which would make Floyd more available for snaps inside.

I do not see Young making this roster If those three mention LB'ers remain healthy. I see no need to have more than 4 ILB'ers. In fact that number might be too many with the all these young talented safeties Staley has in Rapp/Burgess/Fuller ready to blow up the NFL. You know we will see a lot of the extremely versatile DB's on the field.

Rams decided to go with a hard hitting hole plugging UDFA in ILB Troy Reeder as a starter after losing two starting ILB'ers to injuries. KY saw less than a handful of snaps with the Rams defense after starting 3 gms for the Ravens. That tells me a lot about KY's real position in the LB'ing unit. Snead made things real interesting for us when he drafted ILB'er Clay Johnston(y):hush:. Then he followed up with signing 3 ILB'ers Bryan London, Daniel Bituli & Christian Rozeboom.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Snead made things real interesting for us when he drafted ILB'er Clay Johnston(y):hush:. Then he followed up with signing 3 ILB'ers Bryan London, Daniel Bituli & Christian Rozeboom.

Wonder if any besides Johnson will get a chance, but I'm sure a couple will be on the practice squad...Of that group I like Rozeboom although Bituli made a ton of tackles, just is too much a liability in coverage even at the collegiate level.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nobody here really knows what we have. A lot of assumptions are made based on his lack of PT after the trade but we really don’t know yet. And whether or not he gets the starting role had no bearing at all on the trade ad that was purely a salary dump trade.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
As a UCLA fan, I’m surprised he got drafted and made an NFL squad. Hope for the best for the guy - rooting for him big time. But I realistically I have zero expectations for him on the field as a Ram.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

He was made inactive a couple of weeks before he was traded to the Rams. They signed a couple of other lbers and made him inactive.

If he wasn't part of the trade talks before he was made inactive it doesn't look like a good sign.
I think he has a good chance to do that this year.
This could be a few different things here other than lack of talent.

Some players are slower to pick up schemes than others and sometimes that can lead to coaches being very frustrated and give up on a highly drafted player.
Some players, when they feel like they're not being supported by their coach don't have enough inner oomph to get out there and prove the coaches wrong, or even get a chance sometimes.

I'm pulling for Kenny Young to turn into the 4th round or better player they thought they had when Baltimore drafted him.
I think Kenny Young has a great chance to do that this year.

Ram65

Legend
I keep going back and forth on Kenny. The fact that he didn't take advantage of the openings with the Ravens has to make you wonder. He didn't see the field with the Rams either. It's wait and see at this point but, I'm having my doubts. He will compete with Howard and the others.

Did anyone read that the Rams really wanted him? Link? Anyone?

I can't find any info why the Rams acquired him. I know they had a need at the positions and he has size and speed to play STs.

Ram65

Legend

OK I get why he was offered to the Rams which reading between the lines he wasn't in the Raven's long term plans.

It's been reported here that Wade and or Snead really wanted Kenny Young in the deal but, I never read that. It sounded more like he would fill out the roster spot for the loss of Hager. It wasn't as if the Rams said to themselves we want this guy Young to come in and take over a starting job. I was looking for a link on the Rams really wanting Kenny Young.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I'm concerned about our inside linebackers, Howard aside - especially if Floyd doesn't play inside. Reeder was worse than terrible, Young couldn't get on the field when we were playing the aforementioned Reeder, Kiser got hurt and hasn't played much anyway, and the rest are rookies.

That's why I'm a big fan of getting an inside linebacker next draft.

oldnotdead

Legend
Like any player, a lot of how they play depends upon scheme fit. To suggest that Wade wanted him as the reason he was included in the trade isn't true. Wade benched him when he got here. Does that sound like he wanted him? IMO Staley will use him like an in the box SS which allows him to use his natural athleticism. Snead targeted Young, I have to believe it's because they wanted him for a specific reason. That would seem to me is his positional versatility. Look at his drafting of Terrell Burgess, who can play all the positions in the secondary. Kiser's role to me would be the thumper in the middle which is the classical role for a MIKE, but he has the speed to drop into coverage on early down passes or as an interior blitzing backer. Young brings the same thing to the table. If coached up properly he has the athleticism to play like a WIL/MO ILB in the normal coverage LB role or play as an in the box SS or an A gap blitzer.

Young's fall on the depth chart in Baltimore sounds more like a scheme change. Baltimore's hybrid system was brought in by Chuck Pagano and played much like Wade Phillip's version who learned it from Chuck's brother John Pagano. Clearly Wade's lack of interest in Young had to do more with a perceived scheme fit or lack there of than Young's actual abilities. In the same way Phillips wanted to play more zone than man so his preference for Hill over Long as a boundary CB.

It's going to come down to how both Kiser and Young are coached and the roles they will be expected to play. Of all the ILBs Young is clearly the most experienced. He won't have to think his way through plays and he's acclimated to the speed of the game. Bottom line I trust Snead's instincts on this more than stats on a sheet.

Ram65

Legend

Thanks this is the article I was looking for.

Friday, Oct 18, 2019 09:12 AM
Kenny Young returns to his "backyard" after trade from Ravens to Rams
Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 6.27.06 PM

Stu Jackson
STAFF WRITER
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – New Rams LB Kenny Young is a native of New Orleans, Louisiana, though he could almost count Los Angeles as a second home.
A trade from the Ravens to Rams on Tuesday brought him to a new team, but one with many recognizable faces and sights.
"Back home, UCLA's right down the street, so it really feels like I'm in my backyard," Young told Rams team reporter Sarina Morales after practice Wednesday.

Indeed, Young's former college campus is less than an hour from the Rams' training facility. It turns out the proximity played a role in his eventual path to the Rams, too.
Young got on Los Angeles' radar during his Bruins career, which was highlighted by two highly seasons as an upperclassman. He posted 90 tackles, five sacks, three pass breakups and three fumble recoveries en route to All-Pac 12 second team honors as a junior, then followed it up with a team-high 110 tackles, one sack and three pass breakups in a first-team all-conference senior season.
"We knew he was a really talented athlete," Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. "He can run, he can change direction and has speed. He has some real good assets (for a defense)."

Ultimately, he ended up getting chosen No. 122 overall by the Ravens in the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft, posting 64 total tackles, 2.5 sacks, one pass breakup and two forced fumbles across 21 career games in Baltimore.

The Rams never lost sight of him, though.

"We had some affinity for what he could do in college because he was right down the road," Rams GM Les Snead said. "I knew he had started a good bit of games, so we call it 'blue man.' I can punch blue man and filter out his plays and I got (Director, Pro Scouting) Ray Agnew, 'Hey, run down and see if (Special Teams Coordinator) Coach (John) Fassel would appreciate him.' Again, because of the (LB) Bryce Hager injury a couple of weeks ago, we had been talking about, 'What if he can't go, do we need to get a linebacker?' It was nice timing on Kenny as well."

During his rookie season in Baltimore, he teamed up with veteran safety Eric Weddle, who signed with the Rams earlier this offseason. Young views Weddle as a role model.
"He was the guy on the defense," Young said about his interactions with Weddle last season. "He's always the guy, man. He's an intelligent guy, and he knows the game very, very well from all aspects. I strive to be in that position one day very, very early. With him being here, it's cool."

So far, he's acclimating to his new linebacker room well. Rams ILB Cory Littleton said Young is doing everything he can to be ready whenever his number is called.
"He's a smart dude," LB Cory Littleton said. "Willing to pick anything up. He's really loving the system that's here in place, and he said he's picking it up pretty well. A guy that's just devoting himself to everything that we've already got going on, just to make sure he'll be ready for us 100 percent whenever that will be, is always a great guy in my book."

While Young's role is still to be determined – understandable, as he has completed two practices and a walkthrough as of Thursday evening – he already has a strong understanding of what's expected of him within his own position group.
"I think it's just simple – come in and be an enforcer, run sideline to sideline, make plays, communicate, have fun and win, cause turnovers," Young said. "It's the right fit for me and I'm excited."

Like any player, a lot of how they play depends upon scheme fit. To suggest that Wade wanted him as the reason he was included in the trade isn't true. Wade benched him when he got here. Does that sound like he wanted him? IMO Staley will use him like an in the box SS which allows him to use his natural athleticism. Snead targeted Young, I have to believe it's because they wanted him for a specific reason. That would seem to me is his positional versatility. Look at his drafting of Terrell Burgess, who can play all the positions in the secondary. Kiser's role to me would be the thumper in the middle which is the classical role for a MIKE, but he has the speed to drop into coverage on early down passes or as an interior blitzing backer. Young brings the same thing to the table. If coached up properly he has the athleticism to play like a WIL/MO ILB in the normal coverage LB role or play as an in the box SS or an A gap blitzer.

No one suggested that Wade wanted him. It was more a question of why Rams wanted him in the trade? Was it Wade or Snead or both or was it just for a needed roster spot and special teams?

Wade had nice things to say about him. Seems like Snead had liked him in college and the Rams needed a fill-in for Hager. He also could and did play special teams. He didn't do much making 4 tackles on special teams. It was just strange how he didn't get any regular snaps with he Rams while Reeder was still getting snaps with questionable play. Strange how Wade played a rookie UDFA over Young who had experience with some success.

I don't know if Young is what Staley is looking for as a scheme fit. He will get a shot at playing ILber spot in 2020.

Snap Counts
Off.Def.STFantasy
RkG#DateTmOppResultPosNumPctNumPctNumPctFantPtDKPtFDPt
112019-09-08BAL@MIAW 59-10ILB00.0%2142.9%721.9%
222019-09-15BALARIW 23-17ILB00.0%1628.1%933.3%
332019-09-22BAL@KANL 28-33ILB00.0%4058.8%1451.9%
442019-09-29BALCLEL 25-40ILB00.0%2232.8%1760.7%
562019-10-13BALCINW 23-17ILB00.0%00.0%624.0%
682019-10-27LARCINW 24-10LB00.0%00.0%1562.5%
792019-11-10LAR@PITL 12-17LB00.0%00.0%2678.8%
8102019-11-17LARCHIW 17-7LB00.0%00.0%1768.0%
9112019-11-25LARBALL 6-45LB00.0%00.0%1869.2%