What did you learn from week 8?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
This is a bit of a different take to my usual thread. I've not watched the game yet - work and family have been crazy this week. Tis was a game I wasn't looking forward to, I really don't like the Packers D, I've seen dirty shots and holding, but they have ARod, and a lot is "excused" lets say.

So - what should I look out for guys?

The Good. The Bad. And the down right Ugly.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
That the Rams are a very good team that finds a way to win. Good teams always win these types of games. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Plenty of holding by their young corner, an off rhythm, slow and uninspired start on offense, made worse by a great gameplan and execution by Packers defense.

The Rams depth of talent in all 3 phases eventually started to take over and without the refs bs calls and non calls, it wouldnt have been that close.

socalrams90

Starter
That other fan bases legit hate us and to an extent the media always downplays our wins by talking about what the other team did wrong instead of praising us or vice versa.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
The Rams are great at making 2nd half adjustments. Our offensive game planning was too vanilla and tried to attack the middle of the line with runs. Our defense tried to do too much and got gashed by the run.

2nd half adjustments focused on attacking the edges and spreading the field laterally, which were the Packers weaknesses. Our D dialed up a couple of pressures designed to get Donald and Suh isolated one on one.

The Saints run D is too good to not attack the secondary right off the bat with a couple of downfield throws and screens that attack the edge. On defense I'd like to see us go 7 in the box with one high safety and not bite on pa. Put pressure on Joyner et al to defend the vertical threat.

Mick

Pro Bowler
That I really need to avoid the game thread....hard to do as it is entertaining to watch guys lose their shit, with 5 min still to go in the 1st quarter. Oh, you mean about the team? They can handle some adversity, and still get the W when needed.

Ram65

Legend
Watch the long version. You will get to see the holding by Alexander and the Dbs.

Sullivan had trouble pass blocking. Blitzes and changing defensive personnel with up to 6 Dbs.

Goff and Rams eventually made adjustments

Special teams turned game around.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
Learned field conditions at the coliseum really sucks.. i mean really, really sucks.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
That I really need to avoid the game thread....hard to do as it is entertaining to watch guys lose their crap, with 5 min still to go in the 1st quarter. Oh, you mean about the team? They can handle some adversity, and still get the W when needed.
it's amazing to see how fast some fans turn on their team lol

TexasRam

Legend
I learned that Rodgers is Human and throws a lot of off the mark passes, including rushing his passes at times when he doesn't need to.

I learned that the Rams can very quickly adjust from excellent game planning by the opposing coaches. At one point the Rams are down 10 points and next thing you know the Rams are up 10 points.

I learned Mcvay is human and as he has done before sometimes calls a play that he thinks will really work like on 3rd and 6 running the ball, when he should have called a pass play. Its OK. Coaches aren't perfect.

I learned Reynolds is an excellent depth player and ready to step into a starting role soon.

I learned when teams want to commit to stop the run and have the right players up front they an stop Gurley. But as we have seen before, stopping him as a WR isn't as easy. And sometimes, we need to abandon the run and target Gurley as a WR until they abandon the run defense commitment.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
The offense might be a little too film dependent. I mean it's like if the opposition goes with a defensive look/front/blitz that's not on film, the Rams have problems. We definitely saw that with the Raiders, and, although I haven't seen any film/analysis, that's what it seems like the Pack did. Yeah, the Rams adjust, all teams rely on film and changing up the defense is an old-as-dirt strategy, but I just didn't previously think about using a changing-up-the-defense strategy against us -- I don't recall it working when Fritz was calling the defense for the Rams against Montana.

But, like a dead red fastball hitter, if coach knows what's coming, he's going to murder what the defense throws at him. So go with the changeup, it might work . . . .

And constantly changing the defense is a strategy that got Payton a SB:
Williams opened in a 3-4, then switched to a 4-3 in the second quarter, when Manning was on the field for only six plays.

“In the third quarter, we mixed it back and forth, and in the fourth quarter we mixed it back and forth,” Williams said. “That was kind of our plan to make sure that we didn’t show everything we had early in the game. We had a first-half game plan, we had a third-quarter game plan, and we had a fourth-quarter game plan.”
https://nypost.com/2010/02/08/williams-game-plan-gets-d-job-done-vs-indianapolis/

Last edited:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that the rams are the most disrespected undefeated team in the history of the NFL .... if it were anyone else (The Pats the chiefs fuck even the Jags ) the media would be jizzing in their pants..i think id prefer no coverage as opposed to the media narrative of the rams this year

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Sorry to bump this thread because we need to be clearly moved on to the Saints.

I just have to say that I need to eat a little crow. I kept saying Hodge needs to show something on special teams for him to show me he has a place on our team. I have now seen his number around the ball on special teams multiple times. So good on him working and getting good at that craft.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
if you man up on the outside you better not whiff on your jam...
So Hill lined up on this play a few yards off the line of scrimmage and tried to jam his receiver as he came to him, the guy easily juked him, he whiffed and gave up a td. Aren't you supposed to be on the line a scrimmage when you play bump and run. They showed the packers rookie covering Cooks and he was on the line of scrimmage and jammed Cooks on both shoulder which knocked him off his route a little right at the beginning. Very effective. Seemed like Hill put himself in no mans land they way he played it.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So Hill lined up on this play a few yards off the line of scrimmage and tried to jam his receiver as he came to him, the guy easily juked him, he whiffed and gave up a td. Aren't you supposed to be on the line a scrimmage when you play bump and run. They showed the packers rookie covering Cooks and he was on the line of scrimmage and jammed Cooks on both shoulder which knocked him off his route a little right at the beginning. Very effective. Seemed like Hill put himself in no mans land they way he played it.
My guess is he was coached to try and throw off the timing and have Joyner come down on the late thrown ball. Unfortunately it back fired.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I learned that the Rams are a confident group and they knew they could win even when most fans didn’t. I learned that we can hold back, stay in striking range, and turn up the wick. I learned that we are a team that can win games we would have lost with other regimes.

What I didn’t learn and knew is that any team can beat any team on any given Sunday but good/great teams find ways to win most match ups.

We all know we are watching something special. I think it’s just a little difficult for some to believe or trust. And believe me - I get it.

I have no idea if fans from other teams go into games feeling all relaxed in knowing their team would pull out a win. I know I have never really felt that way as a Ram fan for 50 years. But when my dad called me in panic mode and we were down 10-0, I just told him it was early and we’ll find a way. I’ve never in my LIFE felt that.

Go RAMS!!!

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
I learned teams have to cheat to have a chance against the Rams - Safety baby! :yess:

upload_2018-10-31_21-50-16.png