What Clowney's Big Day Means For Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6282/what-clowneys-big-day-means-for-the-rams

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

Nobody who has followed his football career closely should have been surprised by the Superman impression South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney put on Monday when he went through the on-field workout portion of the NFL scouting combine.

Officially, Clowney finished the 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds, a time that is considered good for 210-pound receivers and 220-pound running backs. It's thought to be superhuman when a 266-pound defensive end does it.

Beyond that, Clowney didn't do everything in the workout but what he did, he did better than just about anyone else at his position.

Over the weekend, we discussed the difficult decision the Rams could face if Clowney doesn't go No. 1 overall to Houston or another team moving up to get him. Clowney's performance in his workout proved again why he's considered the best talent in the class. Were it not for questions about his work ethic and desire to be great, he'd also be considered the best player in the class rather than just the guy with the most physical gifts.

If Clowney is there at No. 2, the Rams have to weigh whether it's worth it to use such a lofty pick on a player who is potentially a franchise piece. With Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes and Eugene Sims under contract for at least the next two years, the Rams are loaded at end but it would be unwise to draft for next year or the next two years.

I suspect the Rams weren't at all taken aback by Clowney's performance in Indianapolis. They already know what his physical gifts are. Clowney told me after his media interview Saturday that the Rams had recently sent a contingent to South Carolina to do some homework on him. Clearly, there's at least some level of interest on the Rams' part.

What remains to be seen is whether the Rams' interest is genuine or they simply want to make sure everyone knows they aren't afraid to draft Clowney, and if you want him, you should probably make them an offer. It's long been assumed that Rams coach Jeff Fisher subscribes to the theory that you can never have too many pass-rushers. He confirmed those beliefs last week.

“We've proven in the last (two) years we can get pressure on the quarterback specifically with a four-man rush,” Fisher said. “And we've gotten pressure and effective rush from our backups. You can't get enough guys that can (rush).”

Rams general manager Les Snead has said on multiple occasions that the team's biggest need is experience. That would lend credence to the idea that if the Rams have to make a pick at No. 2, they wouldn't shy away from simply drafting the best player available.

But at the end of the day, it's hard to shake the thought that the Rams' ultimate goal is to auction off the second pick for a bounty of other picks and address a more pressing position on the offensive line, in the secondary or at receiver.

Clowney's big day might not have changed anything in terms of how he's viewed by talent evaluators, but it at least confirmed that if you're a team that wants him, you better be prepared to pay the price to move up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“We've proven in the last (two) years we can get pressure on the quarterback specifically with a four-man rush,” Fisher said. “And we've gotten pressure and effective rush from our backups. You can't get enough guys that can (rush).”
This.

Cannot be understated.

Ram_of_Old

Long, Quinn, and Clowney....the most expensive D line in the NFL....

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This.

Cannot be understated.

Paul- What's your standpoint on this? Would you go Clowney (if you can't trade down) or go OL or maybe Watkins?

I was really against Clowney myself. Only for the simple fact we ARE so good already from a DL standpoint. And I think other areas are needed and the players are there for value.

But now I'm starting to sway back and forth. If only we had 2 top 10 picks again.

Paul- What's your standpoint on this? Would you go Clowney (if you can't trade down) or go OL or maybe Watkins?

I was really against Clowney myself. Only for the simple fact we ARE so good already from a DL standpoint. And I think other areas are needed and the players are there for value.

But now I'm starting to sway back and forth. If only we had 2 top 10 picks again.

It can be done, trade down then trade up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

If I can't trade down, I'm taking the best player on my board. I'm pretty sure they're going to trade down though.

My point was basically that if you can successfully pressure the QB with just 4 men, consistently, then it's almost too easy to win. I don't see how they could fit Clowney into the rotation enough to justify the selection, personally. But at the same time, having a rotation of Long, Quinn and Clowney for an entire game is pretty freakin' savory. I'm back and forth on it as much as you are too. If this were a DT we were talking about, I'd have no problem whatsoever with drafting him at #2.

In the end though, I think Houston would be stupid to pass on the opportunity to pair JJ Watt with Clowney. That's a ridiculous pass rush. Hopefully they take the guesswork out of the equation and leave us sitting there with all of those QBs that other teams want.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Your add a Jadeveon Clowney to this front DL and now your into the heads of your opponents HC ,OC & the QB's. The Pass rush would be a constant nagging oozing worry for all!

Want some over kill then just take DT Aaron Donald with our 1.13 pick and seal the deal for worst nightmare in history for the NFL. if the DB's & Lb'ers can not come up with take ways with that type of ruthless pressure .....They will try to run the ball down our throats too but that will not be effective either cause both Jadeveon & Aaron are just as talented in run stoppage.

Build the Lines !

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If I can't trade down, I'm taking the best player on my board. I'm pretty sure they're going to trade down though.

My point was basically that if you can successfully pressure the QB with just 4 men, consistently, then it's almost too easy to win. I don't see how they could fit Clowney into the rotation enough to justify the selection, personally. But at the same time, having a rotation of Long, Quinn and Clowney for an entire game is pretty freakin' savory. I'm back and forth on it as much as you are too. If this were a DT we were talking about, I'd have no problem whatsoever with drafting him at #2.

In the end though, I think Houston would be stupid to pass on the opportunity to pair JJ Watt with Clowney. That's a ridiculous pass rush. Hopefully they take the guesswork out of the equation and leave us sitting there with all of those QBs that other teams want.

I'm 100% with you. I can't justify taking a player #2 that is not 100% starter day 1. Yeah, stud DT, move aside Langford.
And in all reality, how do we know Clowney will be THAT much better than Long? In the pro's you just don't. And now you've got ridiculous money tied into DE's. How long before Quinn get's big $$..
I'm warming up to the idea of Donald now. I say we go either Watkins or OL (Robinson or Matthews) 1A and then Lewan, Donald or CB/safety at 1B

Like you say, Texans hold the key. If they go Clowney #1 (which I think they should too) then our phone should be ringing big time.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Your add a Jadeveon Clowney to this front DL and now your into the heads of your opponents HC ,OC & the QB's. The Pass rush would be a constant nagging oozing worry for all!

Want some over kill then just take DT Aaron Donald with our 1.13 pick and seal the deal for worst nightmare in history for the NFL. if the DB's & Lb'ers can not come up with take ways with that type of ruthless pressure .....They will try to run the ball down our throats too but that will not be effective either cause both Jadeveon & Aaron are just as talented in run stoppage.

Build the Lines !

I agree, but I want to build the OL. our DL is already pretty well built.

I have no idea what to do in this draft, all 4 of the big 4 are appealing, then what you do at 2 or wherever we trade down to effects the rest of the draft, and there's really nice players later on, want an OL? Then there's a couple of really good receivers. Want Watkins? Then there's a few really nice OL in the second. Want Clowney? why not make the D elite and take a FS.

Is it still over 10 weeks away :cry:.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How do you play all three at once though?

Fisher would have them line up all over stunt them rush them drop them back like he has done before so many ways to use these talented pass rushers

RDE Quinn 6-4 264/Sims/Donald/Clowney
RDT Donald 6-2 285/Langford/Sims/Conrath
LDT Long 6-3 275/Brockers/Hayes
LDE Clowney 6-5 265/Long/Hayes

Looks good to me & keeps them fresh.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Fisher would have them line up all over stunt them rush them drop them back like he has done before so many ways to use these talented pass rushers

RDE Quinn 6-4 264/Sims/Donald/Clowney
RDT Donald 6-2 285/Langford/Sims/Conrath
LDT Long 6-3 275/Brockers/Hayes
LDE Clowney 6-5 265/Long/Hayes

Looks good to me & keeps them fresh.

I understand the premise of course but I don't see Long being very effective inside. A 3-4 in college is not the same technique in a 4-3. 275 is tight for DT..
Hayes has done it from time to time and I have no idea how he's been so effective.

I'm not saying I'm against this just not my personnel preference.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I have no idea what to do in this draft, all 4 of the big 4 are appealing, then what you do at 2 or wherever we trade down to effects the rest of the draft, and there's really nice players later on, want an OL? Then there's a couple of really good receivers. Want Watkins? Then there's a few really nice OL in the second. Want Clowney? why not make the D elite and take a FS.

Is it still over 10 weeks away :cry:.

It may be completely unrealistic, but what if we did trade with Cleveland, got the #4 and (#26 I think?).
Anyway. Say we take Watkins or Robinson or Mathews at #4. Is it conceivable that Snisher says we're going to use our #13 pick and that #26 (or another pick) to move back into the top 10 and take Watkins or Mack or someone else they covet?

We've only talked about trading down, never trading up. In my view we are a lot closer to being a very good team this year than in the last 10. Why not get blue chip players. The RGIII trade has gotten us many players, it's time for difference makers.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
It may be completely unrealistic, but what if we did trade with Cleveland, got the #4 and (#26 I think?).
Anyway. Say we take Watkins or Robinson or Mathews at #4.
It's an interesting thought.

Personally, I'd only want to take Clowney or Matthews at four. If they've both gone and we can't get Atlanta, Tampa Bay or anybody else to move up, I'd go:

#4 Robinson (through gritted teeth)
#13 Clinton-Dix
#26 Best available guard (Yankey/Su'a-Filo/Bitonio)

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
It's an interesting thought.

Personally, I'd only want to take Clowney or Matthews at four. If they've both gone and we can't get Atlanta, Tampa Bay or anybody else to move up, I'd go:

#4 Robinson (through gritted teeth)
#13 Clinton-Dix
#26 Best available guard (Yankey/Su'a-Filo/Bitonio)

If we get a combination of Robinson/Mathews and Yankey to add to our OL...That is a massive upgrade.

Anyway. Say we take Watkins or Robinson or Mathews at #4. Is it conceivable that Snisher says we're going to use our #13 pick and that #26 (or another pick) to move back into the top 10 and take Watkins or Mack or someone else they covet?

We've only talked about trading down, never trading up. In my view we are a lot closer to being a very good team this year than in the last 10. Why not get blue chip players. The RGIII trade has gotten us many players, it's time for difference makers.

Well the value of 13+26=5 so if you covert 2 players (and the Jags don't take one of them) it's a possibility, whether or not Fisher would do it?