What Chargers Fans Are Saying About Their Situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Chargers, Raiders, and Rams fans have all been dragged through the same mud for over a year now. Our team's location has of course been settled, while the Chargers will stay in San Diego for at least for one more season and the Raiders are scouting Las Vegas, San Antonio, and possibly Inglewood if the Chargers opt to stay in San Diego permanently.

As we Rams fans all know from personal experience, not knowing what city your team will play in can be unsettling to say the least. So I thought it would be interesting to see how Chargers fans are dealing with their particular situation.
**********************************************************************************
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=104565

Stadium Proposals, Issues, and News - v4.0 - Dean Speaks

Dear Chargers Fans,

Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium.

I have met with Mayor Faulconer and Supervisor Roberts and I look forward to working closely with them and the business community to resolve our stadium dilemma. We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego.

This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve.

Everyone on both sides of the table in San Diego must now determine the best next steps and how to deploy the additional resources provided by the NFL.

I am committed to looking at this with a fresh perspective and new sense of possibility.

With deep appreciation for your years of support,

Dean A. Spanos
Chairman
---------
Ugh, what a roller coaster...
--------
I have been very outspoken against Dean Spanos thus far. However, with this statement, it seems he really is going to attempt to stay in S.D. or at least that is what I am praying happens. Thank you Mr. Spanos for not just up and leaving even though a deal is now in place in L.A..
-------
All this means is now it's ALL on the city if things don't go well.
--------
The Fat Lady is standing down. Defcon 3 from 5. haha.
-------
Well, with a little luck, I will die before I ever see a Los Angeles Chargers (I don't count the 1960 season because I was an infant, and unaware of football)
-------
If Dean doesn't publicly show great effort in negotiating with San Diego, this will be a complete lame duck season from me if he negotiates like he did in 2015 again.
-------
My pessimistic view is what would be more profitable? Staying in SD one more year or saying you are moving to LA immidiately eventhough you don't even have a stadium to play in?
-------
This was the most likley next move.
I don't think Dean needs to or has to use the Ingelwood deal as leverage. In fact he would be better to not. Its what he can use to compare, but I also believe his desire for SD will weigh heavily.

Here's to hoping the city and the Chargers can find a solution. Especially one where lawsuits are non existing or rare and easily won. Perhaps even better one that would pass a vote if needed or not need one at all.
--------
Maybe this whole thing has made me even more cynical than usual but this feels like lame duck season in 2016. They have the deal in LA, they have the land for the facility in Santa Ana and there's more money to be made in LA ... what am I missing? Does Spanos REALLY want to be here? Eveyrthing seems to be pointing to the north.
--------
Chargers picked up some property in Santa Ana

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tice-facility/
--------
I think it's a ploy to dump 100% of the blame on the city and retain as many fans as possible. I've said it from the beginning that the city would come with a plan, the Chargers would shoot it down, and the team would point fingers at the politicians on their way out of town. We'll see what the city can cook up.
-------
I really hope Dean means what he says and puts 100% effort behind getting a stadium done in San Diego. I understand he had to protect himself and have a backup plan in LA but I believe that he realizes the best prospects for long term success is in San Diego. I wish they could find a way to keep this off the ballot and craft a deal that works.
-------
Next the public vote will probably fail and the NFL will kick in the money to replace the public funding. All this talk about the egos and personalities involved is useless. The NFL is more powerful than any person. They are driving this to their desired outcome, the Chargers staying in SD.
--------
The Chargers are still the San Diego Chargers. But they may become the Los Angeles Chargers in a year.

Owner Dean Spanos announced today that the team is staying in San Diego this year, but he also announced that an agreement has been reached with the Los Angeles Rams that would allow the teams to share an L.A. stadium if a new deal can’t be reached for the Chargers to remain in San Diego beyond 2016.

“Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium,” Spanos said in a statement. “We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego.”

Spanos said his preference would be to remain in San Diego, but only if the city agrees to a stadium deal that the team finds acceptable.

“This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve,” Spanos said. “Everyone on both sides of the table in San Diego must now determine the best next steps and how to deploy the additional resources provided by the NFL.”

So the San Diego Chargers remain for one year. And perhaps only one year.
---------
Its one of the desires. I really believe they desire them in LA more.
Either way the NFL gets what they want more money and more money.
---------
LOL.
My company has a business office across the freeway from O.Co
The other office is off the runway at LAS.
It's a sign.
Raiders to Vegas baby...
---------
Just using his deal in L.A as leverage to get his Stadium in SD obviously. Now if the Rams come out this season and start setting the league on fire while the Chargers come out flat(McCoy) its going to hurt the Chargers business, so Dean better put a competitive product on the field this year. Chargers fans deserve more
--------
So another year in limbo....yay!
-------
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell released a statement regarding the Chargers' decision:
We are very supportive of the decision by Dean Spanos to continue his efforts in San Diego and work with local leaders to develop a permanent stadium solution. NFL ownership has committed $300 million to assist in the cost of building a new stadium in San Diego. I have pledged the league's full support in helping Dean to fulfill his goal.

They are not leaving SD with that kind of money to help him out.
----------
True, but good for us...the Rams are coached by the most overrated, worst coach in the NFL. They have a horrible QB and though they have talent, they are Fishered and therefore will never do crap.

We do have McCoy though so it's not like we have any huge advantage over them.
---------
My own opinion - something a lot of folks don't want to admit - that the team's ownership really has and would prefer to stay in SD and the crust of the biscuit is (and has been) the stadium issue.

They've established their fallback if either negotiations fail or the vote fails or law suits sink the deal - i.e. they've done their due diligence. They've established that there is a real, no-fake alternative - even though it's one they prefer not to have to choose.

The rhetoric about this just being a delay tactic so they don't have to play in the Coliseum this year is nonsense. If things don't work out and they end up having to go with the less desirable fallback option, they would still have to play there for at least 2 years - and in the mean time would have lost a year towards establishing their presence in LA and putting together all the pieces (like PSL sales and such) that would be required.

Hopefully all of the parties (the team, the city, the business community (including the hoteliers), and all others involved) work things out so the Chargers can make their preferred choice - and stay in SD
beer.gif

---------
My contention was the threat of allowing the Raiders to move in if they didn't was a bigger threat. It basically guarantees the bolts stay a small market team.
--------
Just my opinion, but I think Carson was option #1 by a long shot. When Dean didn't get his vote and when Kroenke got his 30-2, IMO that's when SD then became #1. He wanted LA badly, just not like this
---------
The only hole in that theory is a dump in Carson that Spanos was all in for.
Had he gotten the OK he'd be gone. Therefore take anything said with a grain of salt.

I'm sure he personally loves SD as he's lived here for many years now, his immediate family to. But business is business. I'm going to be a little bit of a skeptic until I see a real attempt on the Chargers part to get it done in SD.
---------
I think the team is genuinely going to try and stay if for no other reason to try and salvage some of the fan base here. Whether or not the two sides can agree on anything that can get approved by voters (assuming it ends up at a vote) is another matter all together.

edit: I still wont be a fan if they move, but I'll give Spanos the benefit of the doubt here and just assume John and AG got in his ear.
---------
From what I see... They couldn't share the coliseum and are hoping Charger fans are dumb enough to support a lame duck team.

Chargers are still moving guys...
---------
So basically the NFL will allow the Bolts to milk San Diego for two years while the stadium is being built. With the Bolts only having to play one season in LA before the new stadium is built?
---------
If they can't get something done with $300m from the NFL, then they both suck!!!!
---------
Even if Dean wants to leave, it's better to stay in San Diego for up to 2 more seasons until the stadium in LA is closer to being built. This prevents the Raiders from trying to move to SD and avoids the displaced nature of training in Santa Ana and playing in the Coliseum
---------
This is pretty much playing out as I thought it would. No way were the owners going to vote for the mirage with 2 poorly funded teams. Kroenke was going to with the Inglewood / Carson shuffle. $ talks...

Now that Deano has been forced to abandon the Carson charade he's making some good business decisions. Knowing what you have in LA is the first step. Staying in San Diego for a year allows him to continue to try to strike the best deal for himself. The thing that will be the next true indicator of his intentions will be the citizens initiative that needed to be circulated in March (?)

If we see the citizens initiative then I'll start to have a little more faith, no citizens initiative means that it will be a lame duck season that has seats full of opponents fans.
---------
The NFL owners are billionaires and people don't get that rich by making bad business decisions. If the Chargers play in the 90K seat coliseum they will not sell out a single game and the NFL will lose the TV revenue for the SD and the LA Chargers market. They are working their plan to maximize revenue in California given the 20+ year problem of getting public funding for new stadiums.

The objective of their meeting earlier this month was to come up with a plan to resolve this now and forever. Their plans won't change. They do not want to leave $ on the table, so they want the Chargers to give it one more try with the city before they cough up the $.
---------
That's the rub isn't it? I'm not sure you can convince people to contribute public dollars when there are much bigger needs. I love the Chargers and I'll vote against any of my tax dollars going to a stadium.
----------
It's like having a girl tell you she's still not ready to commit and needs more time. Meanwhile, she still wants to see other guys but you're stuck on hold
---------
200 mill is the standard G4 loan and 100 mill was pledged to both Chargers Raiders to get a deal done in their respective cities.

Stadiums cost 1.3 billion though
--------
No one could justify building a new stadium for crowds that small. So, the NFL's plan must be to keep the Chargers in SD and let the raiders move to LA.
--------
Dean's goal is to now get a state of the art stadium downtown SD. The only thing that could stop this now from happening is if the city of SD plays games & makes issues. . . or it comes down to a public vote & SD votes no, & doesn't want the Chargers. . . ?
---------
Yes, there remains a possibility San Diegan's will vote no. Maybe even likely at this point. But that's all we ever wanted, a legitimate shot to keep them here.

While you've been singing LA's praises - you have continuously failed to understand LA did not a darn thing to move this forward. It was all Kroenke and his billions. You'd have a better chance getting voter approval for 350 million of public money in San Diego than you EVER would have in LA. So if you're going to stick around for the next year discussing this - maybe you can do us all a favor and put a cork in the LA love for a while.
--------
If it comes down to a vote & the city of SD votes no, causing the Chargers to leave, San Diego will have no one to blame but themselves for the Chargers leaving!!!! You could not blame Dean, & can't anymore.... Its time for San Diego to rally around the Chargers.... Instead of putting everything on Dean!! He's giving the city the opportunity to keep the Chargers & thats a fact!!!
---------
Most cities that want NFL teams other than the likes of LA need to be willing to pay a tax for the luxury of having an NFL team.... I think there have been close to 20 stadiums built & all of those cities paid taxes on their new stadium!!! I'm not trying to hear this.... If it comes down to a tax on having a great state of the art stadium downtown SD, you dont want the Chargers??? Are you kidding me! Just stop it with that angle.... Frankly it embarrassing to fathom this!!!
----------
i am sure this is great news for some fans, and a lot of people probably have high hopes right now, but in all honesty i cannot look at this team the same way ever again even if they win 10 consecutive superbowls
----------
SD proposal put in $350M, the NFL is kicking in another $300M. I have not heard any proposal on what the Chargers are contributing.

They walked away from negotiations in favor of a dump in Carson. That's a fact. They haven't countered or come up with one single proposal for SD just yet, that's another fact.

So thus far we are blaming Dean for good reason. Now he's the one that has to show good faith or end up a tenant and play second fiddle to the Rams.

You have it all backwards my friend. If you still support the LA Chargers maybe you should just become a Rams fan as the LA Chargers don't exist and won't so for at least another year and possibly never.
----------
Santa Clara, NE, Dallas was done with no tax. Maybe Seattle too. In fact the public contribution towards the newer stadiums have been drastically reduced. This is not the 1960's anymore.
---------
Well, I was guessing that NFL would want 2 New Stadiums, instead of 1 in regard to Chargers, Rams & Raiders before they ever voted.

With the vote for Rams to LA with Chargers as 1st option, Raiders 2nd & 100million for Chargers & Raiders. It seems like the NFL created a bit more leverage & opportunity to get another stadium.
Seeing that Chargers to Carson caused the city to work on the mission valley proposal & that San Diego was closer to a deal than Raiders, it made sense to give Chargers 1st option at LA to keep pressure on City of San Diego to get a deal done.

The noise from LA about not wanting Chargers let Dean know that he should certainly try for a San Diego stadium 1st before moving. Now it's up to the city & Dean to get something done and the Chargers will remain in San Diego.
----------
I think the Rams message board is looking for new members. You should apply I think they would love you there.
---------
The Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego.
---------
Keenan Allen ‏@Keenan13Allen 1h1 hour ago
Now let's see sell outs every home game! And not the other teams colors! #BoltUp

Keenan Allen ‏@Keenan13Allen 1h1 hour ago
So it's looks like we are going to be in San Diego for another season. The stadium better be packed. The fans got what they wanted.

https://twitter.com/Keenan13Allen?re...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
-----------
who isnt bitter man? the organization and the city handled this the worst possible way for fans. IDK if you noticed the last like 6 months, the whole stadium talk and threads, everyone was emotional, frustrated, bitter, and sometimes angry
----------
For me football is 3 hours on Sundays and bonding with friends & co-workers. I don't take the games too seriously, not my $M paycheck on the line. I have my own life & my friends & family come WAAAYYYY before the Chargers. My life certainly isn't over if the Chargers leave - though it is better with them here.
---------
People have to work very hard to earn money, and everything seems to have gotten at least 30% more expensive across the board, so unless you're really a source of happiness and putting out a great product you shouldnt expect fans to show up. It really has been tough for San Diego ever since housing market crashed back in 08 and they were still showing up till i think 2010.

ugh, this chargers vs. san diego has gotten real ugly man. like i said, i can never look at the team and the organization the same, ever again.
----------
Ugh, another year of uncertainty. I don't even know how to feel about all this anymore, I should be happy the time in San Diego isn't over, but I can't see this as anything more than a one year deal. Time to see how much Spanos actually wants to stay now and if he's going to put in an honest effort working with the city.
----------
LOL, Dean just started playing games. He's got a deal in LA with Kroenke and he's using that as leverage to more $$$ from SD.

If he wants to stay in SD he has to make an honest effort and put up some $$$. If it goes to a vote with the way he's treated SD fans the chances of passing are slim and none
----------
The message is "LA doesn't want us, so we'll exhaust the opportunity that we've previously forsaken"

Dean should take up hang gliding during a Santa Ana
---------
Welp.

Put up or shut up time for both sides. It's gotten way past "games" and "posturing".
San Diego is the best spot for Dean for the health of his franchise and hopefully he sees that now. Hopefully he's chosen to be King of San Diego rather than the afterthought in LA.

I'm not getting excited until the Chargers start offering ideas and plans and counter-offers to the city/county. IMO there's enough money on the table already to get something done. Especially considering how much Dean was willing to put up to get to LA.

And Keenan and Melvin really need to mask their disappointment better. Sure, LA probably meant bigger advertising and endorsement deals, but don't take it out on the citizens that have been behind the Bolts for 50+ years. I've been to countless Charger games at the Q over the years decked out in lightning bolts. I kinda think we deserve a break after being threatened with losing the team.

Hopefully the older vets pull them aside and let them know. Because I certainly didn't see them hanging around the fans after the Miami game.

Go Bolts! (for one more year at least).
---------
Biggest winner in all of this is Carmen Policy.

Made bank to help no one. Sits back, swigs scotch, waits till next year...
--------
Though for me, it wasn't the poor record that kept me out of the stadium recently. It was the broken loyalty. That's everything to me. I've followed the team through everything except this stadium circus. Of course winning helps but the biggest thing is the relationship. The NFL is pushing the boundaries and should be careful to respect it's roots. This doesn't just affect my status as a Chargers fan but rather of the NFL overall.

The prospect of a new stadium is exciting but please remember that some of us don't need luxury boxes and 1000 inch screens. I just want a place of pride with my friends and my team.

I will say this though. In my opinion it's on the fans to stop being ticket brokers. Buy for yourself or don't buy at all. If you can't make it, be sure it's a Chargers fan in your place. There may be people from everywhere in this town, but I still don't think that's a good excuse. If you've been around long enough you know the stadium can be overflowing with Chargers fans.
----------
unfortunately, even the simple seats will not be cheap. the biggest ripoff with these stadiums is that they first hold the city hostage for stadium funding, then they ripoff their fan base with PSL's and inflated ticket prices. i went to Levi's stadium last year for chargers/49ers and the whole stadium felt like a money grab.

there is a legal battle over PSL's right now in St. Louis - those PSL's are now worthless. I think Al Davis was the godfather of PSL's - the original bloodsucker.
--------
And I will say this, regardless of how much I love a team, I'll not buy into the PSL model. It's proving to be the extortion that it appeared to be. Yes I will buy tickets as best I can afford, but no I will not purchase an empty investment. If you want that type of investment I want a slice of the team.

Petco did it right with something for everyone. Boxes for the richies and park in the park for families and kids. The extortion model isn't sustainable. It's all about numbers right? But that's not just $$ per ticket but also how many loyalist you attract to the show so that they share and pass the experience to others.

Damn I hate talking about football like a product though, that's what's killing it. I want the game. That's what brought my family in.
---------
So Keenan Allen and Melvin Ingram both tweeted that we essentially need to show that we deserve the Chargers by selling out every home game next season.

These guys are both delusional and I would like to see them both cut from the team for making such stupid comments. First of all, selling out every home game won't do anything to keep the team in SD. Second of all, we have the best fans in the NFL and we've been getting slapped in the face by ownership for years. To insinuate that the fans are at fault for not suppoting the team is insulting.

These guys can both go jump off a pier.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-be-sold-out/
--------
Okay I've posted this three separate times because this subject keeps coming up.

Ingram and Allen need to be schooled by the veterans about how it's on them to make the home atmosphere happen. When San Diego, like every NFL city, does well, the bandwagon fills and the home atmosphere is great. When you go 4-12 what do you expect from fans? I personally go to every game but I can't blame fans not wanting to shell out money for a crap product.

The Lions and Browns games were great home atmospheres with 95% Bolts fans because there was hope in the season. Then they began showing signs of an iceberg hitting the side of the ship. Then came the bandwagon jugernaught teams of the Broncos and Steelers games came when the Bolts were in the middle of their bad season so it was an ugly home atmosphere with near 40% opposing fans. Then there was the Dolphins and Chiefs games where it was 95% Bolts fans again. The Dolphins game was because it was a farewell game and the Chiefs because it was LTs big day.

If the Bolts put up a good product, regardless of Spanos, the fans will come. No one is a fan because of Spanos. If the Bolts move ill be a Philip Rivers fan but once he retires, i dont know. The players saying the fans got what they want and need to fill the stadium need to look in the mirror first as to how to fill that stadium.

Season ticket holder with my family for over 11 years.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Cut Keenan Allen and Gordon for wanting to sell out tickets? What a moron. Heaven forbid your team asks for your support to keep the team. What a dumbass of a fan. Go ahead cut them. Keenan can come to LA after all.

FrankenRam

Starter
The rumor I've heard multiple times and don't understand is that, if the Chargers do wind up in LA, then the Raiders will eventually wind up in SD.

That I don't grok. IF Spanos can't get a deal for a new stadium when he's been there 50+ yr, why would anyone think the city will build a new stadium for the Raiders?

The only way that makes sense to me is if Spanos is just roundly hated by everyone in the public sector that may have some influence in getting a new stadium built.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The rumor I've heard multiple times and don't understand is that, if the Chargers do wind up in LA, then the Raiders will eventually wind up in SD.

That I don't grok. IF Spanos can't get a deal for a new stadium when he's been there 50+ yr, why would anyone think the city will build a new stadium for the Raiders?

The only way that makes sense to me is if Spanos is just roundly hated by everyone in the public sector that may have some influence in getting a new stadium built.
One thing with the Spanos vs the City is that he wants it in a specific place. The city is more willing to build it near where the stadium is now. The thinking is Davis would be happy to get one anywhere and he would take one where the city wants.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So the NFL is fronting $300 million for a new stadium in SD?
Sheesh. That's a no brainer.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the NFL is fronting $300 million for a new stadium in SD?
Sheesh. That's a no brainer.
The NFL is not fronting $300 million. $200 million of it is the clubs G4 loan, the other $100m is what the NFL owners voted to allocate to SD and Oak only if they stayed in their current cities.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The NFL is not fronting $300 million. $200 million of it is the clubs G4 loan, the other $100m is what the NFL owners voted to allocate to SD and Oak only if they stayed in their current cities.
Ok. So thats $300 million that the city of San Diego doesn't have to come up with. Right? No brainer.

FrankenRam

Starter
One thing with the Spanos vs the City is that he wants it in a specific place. The city is more willing to build it near where the stadium is now. The thinking is Davis would be happy to get one anywhere and he would take one where the city wants.

So, I wonder what Spanos' bug is about a specific location.(?) Does he want to build in downtown LaJolla? :) I've been to San Diego a few times, and stayed at a Marriot not too far away from Qualcomm as I recall, and that seemed like a decent enough area.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, I wonder what Spanos' bug is about a specific location.(?) Does he want to build in downtown LaJolla? :) I've been to San Diego a few times, and stayed at a Marriot not too far away from Qualcomm as I recall, and that seemed like a decent enough area.
Not certain my info is from some Chargers fans I know in SD. Both sites seem to me to be great locations. Spanos just has his heart set on Mission Valley and the city wants downtown (I think or do I have those backwards?).

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Ok. So thats $300 million that the city of San Diego doesn't have to come up with. Right? No brainer.
Then there's the $550 million that would have been going towards the NFL's relocation fee -- if Spanos was willing to shell that out for a ticket to L.A., surely he should be cool with putting it towards a new stadium in San Diego.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Spanos' letter to San Diego and what he is really saying-- " I didn't get Carson, so now I'm giving you one more year, if you don't vote to help pay for a new stadium for me, I'm going to LA, this time I mean it

I'm betting voters turn him down, just like last time he wanted public money. Question is, what will he do if voters don't approve public funding? .

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Spanos' letter to San Diego and what he is really saying-- " I didn't get Carson, so now I'm giving you one more year, if you don't vote to help pay for a new stadium for me, I'm going to LA, this time I mean it

I'm betting voters turn him down, just like last time he wanted public money. Question is, what will he do if voters don't approve public funding? .

I really think that by not going to LA right now, Spanos has painted himself into a corner. The Rams will already have played a full season in LA; I think the Chargers would have a tough time gaining significant fan support.

His only real option is to get a new stadium built in San Diego -- and to pay for the bulk of it, himself.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I do feel sorry for both the Chargers and Raiders fan , having to suffer through this , will they or won't they BS for another year , is well , BS

Hopefully the Chargers will have something figured before that

fearsomefour

Legend
The Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego comment made me laugh.
The Charger fan base is not intense outside of the small core of fans. The redid a fix up on Jack Murphy (always the Murph to me) before and it bought them some time, but, that was quite a while ago. The Mission Valley location is nice. Spanos just saw the benefit in terms of worth ect the Padres got out of their stadium downtown and figures he would do the same. Always the follower, never the leader. Spanos is just terrible.
Maybe he finally realized he was leaving a lease to go to a lease (paying another owner no less) in LA.
The people I know in SD, none of them, not one is in favor of funding a stadium for the Chargers.