What Cardinals Fans Are Saying Before And After The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pxVWMIFU1w

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2...angeles-rams-5-questions-with-turf-show-times

Arizona Cardinals vs Los Angeles Rams: 5 Questions with Turf Show Times
Talking Rams with the editor of SB Nation's Turf Show Times.
by Seth Cox

usa_today_10349165.0.jpg

Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

The Arizona Cardinals are overseas and awaiting Sunday evening in London for their tilt with the Los Angeles Rams.

To get a little insight on the Rams, I reached out to Joe McAtee of Turf Show Times.

Here is our conversation.

1. Talk about Sean McVay and the difference a year makes.

Man...I think when the 2017 season is done, I'm probably gonna have to go about 5,000 words long on this. It's such a fascinating set of circumstances.

Part of what has happened in 2017 is the convergence of three different forces: a new coaching staff led by McVay, a wave of new Rams through free agency (and a major trade) and the draft and individual development.

Each of those on their own has a compelling argument for being the main reason the Rams have improved substantially on the field compared to 2016, but combined it's just very hard to identify what is the major factor where.

So when we're talking about Sean McVay as a head coach and the coaching staff as a whole in trying to identify how "good" they are at their jobs, it's worth keeping in mind those other two factors. For example, how much better would any coaching staff look in mentoring a passing game with Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp as the top three wide receivers instead of Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Tavon Austin?

How much easier is it for fans to buy into their offensive line coaching staff when you've got Andrew Whitworth at left tackle? McVay of course, both as head coach and given his prior experience on the offensive side, gets to soak up all of that praise. Rightfully so. But I do wonder if sometimes the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction as a counter-balance to the horrorscape of 2015 and 2016.

That being said, the 2017 Los Angeles Rams look like a much-improved team with a ton of potential all over the roster. There are still major questions that lie ahead as the more meaningful football remains to be played, but the Rams look like they'll at least give themselves a chance to play that kind of football which they've missed out on for the last decade plus, save for a season or two therein.

McVay certainly deserves the lion's share of the credit for getting this franchise back on that track.

2. Speaking of differences, maybe no player is benefitting more than Jared Goff, are you happy with his progress?

I think it's worth remembering just how bad Goff and the Rams' offense was a year ago.

In his seven starts in 2016, Goff averaged 155 yards per game throwing five touchdowns and seven interceptions. That's just beyond abysmal. There is no hyperbole possible here. It's eye-peelingly horrible. Kids should never be subjected to such terror.

I struggle to appropriately categorize how bad this is other than to point to the Rams' Week 16 performance against the San Francisco 49ers in 2016 in which Goff threw the ball 24 times for 90 yards with a touchdown papering over two interceptions in a game the Rams lost by a point. At home. Which was the second of San Fran's two wins last year. Both of which were against us.

It was kind of all of the 2016 Rams and Jared Goff boiled down to its purest essence, condensed and intensified.

But beyond Jeff Fisher and 2016 and that chapter, what remained possible for Goff was some kind of reclamation beginning this year. He was still 22-years old (he just turned 23 last Saturday) with just seven starts under his belt. It was too early and remains too early to make any kind of proclamations about what kind of NFL quarterback Jared Goff would or will become.

So that McVay and the surrounding personnel and his own individual improvement have made 2017 Jared Goff entirely distinguishable from 2016 Jared Goff is perhaps the biggest gift of all to Rams fans. Am I happy with his progress? I'm ecstatic with it.

His highest mark for yards in a game in 2016 was 235. He's topped that in four games already this year. He threw an interception in four games last year. He's played four interception-free games this year including last week's game against a very good Jacksonville Jaguars defense.

We don't know what Jared Goff's career will ultimately look like, but he's been rescued from the depths of the immediate "bust" label that so many were eager to place on him.

3. The Rams have a lot of name talent on offense, but are they getting the production from those guys?

Well, the answer's yes, but outside of RB Todd Gurley, the production is being shared. That can obviously irk some targets like WR Sammy Watkins who voiced his displeasure following the Rams' Week 5 loss against the Seattle Seahawks, but the variety of the Rams' passing attack is what has helped Goff's improvement and made it possible to keep things as simple as McVay has. What has helped things overall is Gurley's addition to the passing game and the offensive line.

Gurley's on the path for career highs in receptions, targets and yards to top off the fact he's already got three receiving touchdowns...the first three of his career. Clearly, McVay is putting Gurley into the passing game in a more meaningful way than Fisher did.

That being said, he's been relatively non-existent in the passing game the last two weeks (5 targets, 3 receptions, 11 yards), so perhaps there's something to be gleaned in gameplans against strong defenses like the Jaguars and Seahawks and less rigid opposition.

Speaking of rigidity, the other big factor in improving production across the offense and allowing Goff and McVay to exploit the versatility of the depth chart is the offensive line. Last year, the line was a huge liability in the passing game which made it impossible for Goff and the offensive staff to run any deeper passing concepts with any confidence. Hell, even intermediate work was threatened regularly by opposing pass rushes.

The change between that line's performance and this year's is night and day. The personnel additions of LT Andrew Whitworth and C John Sullivan in free agency have been huge hits and the overall development of the other components has been evident, especially on the right side with a pair of third-year pros in RT Rob Havenstein and RG Jamon Brown.

It's allowing the offense to wait for routes to develop, to attack downfield and to allow Goff to go through his reads with a comfort level he didn't enjoy last year. The results are irrefutable.

4. Outside of Aaron Donald, who are the difference makers on defense for the Rams.

Well, some of that is TBD. The system change from former Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams to current DC Wade Phillips incurred a bit of a culture shock early this season, something that certainly wasn't lessened by Donald's holdout throughout training camp and the preseason that didn't see him return to the team until the very final moments prior to Week 1.

That shock to the system has perhaps affected nothing more than the run defense which has been...not great. After six games, the Rams rank 29th in run yards allowed per game punctuated by Leonard Fournette's 78-yard TD run on the first play of the game for Jacksonville's offense last week.

The other part of the story here is what came after that play which was largely a lot of nothing. Whether it was the play after the Fournette touchdown or the discrepancy between the first and second halves against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 4 or the difference between Week 5 against the Seahawks (241 yards allowed, 62 rushing yards allowed, one touchdown allowed) and the Week 3 near-disaster against the 49ers (418 yards allowed, 113 rushing yards allowed, five touchdowns allowed) the Rams have had a bit of a bipolar year defensively though it's offering hope given that they seem to be correcting much of what has ailed them defensively.

So while perhaps the defensive performances this year are not due for overwhelming praise just yet, the secondary likely deserves the nod to have gotten some of the better showings thus far ranking 13th in pass yards allowed. CB Trumaine Johnson, the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL on a second consecutive franchise tag, has yet again played his way onto what should be a very lucrative contract, whether it's with the Rams or someone else in 2018.

CB Kayvon Webster has been a solid addition through free agency as his prior experience playing for Phillips with the Denver Broncos has paid immediate dividends. Slot corner Nickell Robey-Coleman has been a fantastic value addition. And the safety rotation of Lamarcus Joyner, Cody Davis, and Maurice Alexander who has been replaced by rookie John Johnson leading to Alexander's release has worked very well.

The Rams need to improve the run defense and the pass rush, but there are signs that Phillips is figuring out ways to work around it as they do so.

5. Prediction for the game.

So I think I said something like 30-24 Rams on the Birdgang Blitz with Blake, but that's still where my head's at. I think this game is gonna see points on both sides, and I think part of that is going to come down to turnovers. The Rams are among the league leaders in interceptions...and fumbles.

Ball security has been an issue and it's hard to see that stopping against you guys, though as I mentioned above the secondary has come to our rescue more than once. Given the sheer volume of yall's passing output averaging more than 40 passes per game, I think the Rams get at least one interception on Sunday and that might make the difference ultimately.
----------
Is Arizona going to be able to run on the Rams?

From the rankings it looks like it, but one good game from the Cardinals isn’t a reliable sample.
---------

The main reason our ranking sucks is because we gave up huge runs early

Leonard Fournett had like 20ish carries for 50ish yards after the first play of the game.
Same with Zeke, we shut him down the second half.
Same with Skins’ trio rb, we basically shut them down late.

So I guess this game we will allow AP to run wild in the first quarter and will allow like 2-3 y/c after that.
---------
Are Ram fans bought into Goff?

As a rival fan I’m certainly a believer in Gurley, the Rams special teams and their defensive line because they have been a thorn in the Cards collective side. I’m just not quite sold on Goff yet. It’s impressive that the Rams have found ways to win the last two games with very little production from the QB-something the Cards can certainly take a page from.
---------
Goff's been great other than some fumble issue

We’ve seen him make all the throws, he’s accurate, but he’s just not ready to plainly beat elite Pass D yet (hint: Big Ben can’t either). But against average pass D he’s been tearing it up.

Last two weeks, hawks got top 5 pass d, jags got at least top 3 pass d. Go figure.
--------
Throw it to anyone on Bethel or Mathieu and Goff should have a spectecular day.
--------
Ok, then I'm starting Cooper Kupp on fantasy this week.
---------
Losing both the interior pass rush from Calais and Marcus Golden the team leader in sacks a season ago has exposed the glaring weakness in coverage from Bethel and Mathieu.

Moving Tramon Williams to the outside and Bethel to the slot may stop the hemorrhaging a bit. Fingers crossed.
--------
Jacksonville Game

Goeff didn’t have a very good game against Jacksonville. What did Jacksonville do to shut down Goeff who had started to make such progress?
--------
They used one of the NFL's top pass defenses
Something the Cards don’t have
-------
This year I'm most impressed with how the coaches adjust the game plan according to what the opposing side gave us

Against Jax, they had like 6 in the box and gave us running lanes all day, so we didn’t rely on Goff to make the plays and we took what they gave us—hand Gurley the ball. Same with other games, usually when they try to stop you from passing, Gurley had huge games, and when they try to stop our rushing, Goff had fabulous games.

It’s like you can either shut Goff down or Gurley down, you gotta pick.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think he was saying the we go for the big plays first and check down last
Watching Goff, I don't think that is so true, especially the last 2 games....but yes, I get what you are thinking....to even say checkdown in that manner is a little insult.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So when we're talking about Sean McVay as a head coach and the coaching staff as a whole in trying to identify how "good" they are at their jobs, it's worth keeping in mind those other two factors. For example, how much better would any coaching staff look in mentoring a passing game with Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp as the top three wide receivers instead of Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Tavon Austin?

How much easier is it for fans to buy into their offensive line coaching staff when you've got Andrew Whitworth at left tackle? McVay of course, both as head coach and given his prior experience on the offensive side, gets to soak up all of that praise.

really, this is his answer? fisher had 5 years to fix the offense and failed miserably. mcvay comes in and fixes the offense in one offseason. he is not good, he's fucking great you fuckhead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
really, this is his answer? fisher had 5 years to fix the offense and failed miserably. mcvay comes in and fixes the offense in one offseason. he is not good, he's freaking great you fuckhead.

I was wondering what dipshit Arizona fan wrote that; then, I realized that it was our own supposed "fan site" that said it. Yep, that's just one more reason why I avoid the TurfShowTimes like a plague. I can't think of a better way to come off as uninformed than pretending like McVay just lucked into a bunch of talented offensive players after Fisher spent five years not being able to find any fixes for his anemic offenses.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I am doing some polite trolling, which I am sure Mojo will be joining me in ....lol
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/beating-the-rams.255481/#post-3584183
Nah. I've been posting there for something like 10 years or so. I don't troll there but i talk shit from time to time. I also tell it how i see it...like the Cardinals have drafted stupidly for awhile, their just getting older, Arians is a blowhard etc....which ruffles some feathers occasionally. I said "feathers." See what i did there?

I follow the Phx Suns there too. Most of the posters are cool....with a handful of exceptions.

You enjoy yourself though. :cheers:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/...rizona-cardinals-preview-revenge-of-the-birds

Los Angeles Rams Vs. Arizona Cardinals: Q&A With Revenge Of The Birds
Getting the inside info from Revenge Of The Birds, the SB Nation community for Arizona Cardinals fans.
by 3k

630777956.0.jpg

Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images

The Los Angeles Rams are facing Arizona Cardinals in Week 7 in London. In a crucial NFC West battle overseas, the Rams are going up against a pretty interesting Cardinals team that is as experienced as they are yet undefined.

So to get a better understanding of what we’re facing, I linked up with Seth Cox from Revenge Of The Birds, the SB Nation community for Cardinals fans.

Let's start on offense. There are two key aspects of y'alls O I'm most intrigued in. One is just age. You guys have six starters who are 30-years old or older on offense. We have three...on our entire roster.

How much concern do you have just in the ability to get through the season with these guys avoiding breaking down either in the form of injury or just with age accelerating their individual decline?

The Cardinals offense was supposed to be based around a mix of young and old and now it is a mix of D.J. Humphries as the young and Carson Palmer, Adrian Peterson and Larry Fitzgerald as the old. It has been a shift that was largely due to injuries. First, Humphries was injured in game one, followed by David Johnson, then John Brown continued to have issues being available.

All of a sudden, it was all about finding healthy bodies that could consistently contribute. Well, two of those were on the roster, Palmer and Fitz, and again became the focal point of the offense. Then, in a swing for the fences type of move, the Cardinals brought in Adrian Peterson.

Now, the offense is really old, but through one game, balanced and looks talented. Now, obviously it is one game, but if Peterson can do similar to last game, maybe 20 carries for 70-90 yards a game (wide range but 3.5-4.5 yards per carry) then you just have to hope that the offensive line can continue to keep Palmer healthy.

It is just one of those situations where, in a juxtaposition to LA, you have to assume that these guys can play one more year of talented ball, as opposed to what LA was hoping coming into the year, is that their young guys each took the next step.

Can they last the season? I think for Peterson, it is about lasting until Thanksgiving when David Johnson is scheduled to come back, and if he survives, it will keep the pressure off of Palmer, which in turn keeps the pressure off Fitzgerald.

Secondly, you guys have the worst rushing offense in the NFL. Or at least had. Five horrible showings followed by last week's revival performance from RB Adrian Peterson.

How much of that was just the
Tampa Bay Buccaneers being ill-prepared to defend your new running back or not respecting the ground game in general versus a legitimate new look rushing O for you guys?

I think you are selling short just how bad the run game was before last week. It was on a historically awful pace, like to the point that it couldn’t have possibly kept being as bad as it was. Now, the arrival of Peterson clearly helped, but the return of Humphries and Alex Boone (who was hurt immediately following his first game) and the removal of Evan Boehm, who was basically awful at right guard with Earl Watford, who has always been good enough in the run game.

I think turning over 3/5 of the offensive line has as much to do with the run game improvements as the addition of Peterson. However, the addition of a runner that doesn’t go down on first contact is important.

Defensively, it's a bit of the same story. Stingy in defending the run with issues in pass coverage. How would you explain the Cardinals' defense to Rams fans through six games?

The Cardinals pass defense struggles because they lack someone across from Patrick Peterson who can consistently cover, while having only Chandler Jones who can rush the passer. Meaning if Jones doesn’t disrupt the quarterback, only Peterson can cover long enough to make a difference. It is a less than optimal defensive strategy at this point.

In the run game, they just have three consistent defensive lineman who do their job and allow the linebackers to make plays cleanly. Corey Peters has been slightly banged up, but he is a staunch nose tackle, while Frostee Rucker is a savvy veteran that knows how to play the game. They’ll hold the point of attack consistently, they just are not going to make very many plays behind the line of scrimmage. Which at this point hasn’t hurt them in the run game.

Trajectory-wise, how do you feel about this team for 2017 in and of itself? Obviously the early injuries have thrown things awry a bit, but you guys get the bye after our jaunt to London. What's the confidence level at getting things headed at another NFC West crown?

I think most people have a “wait and see” approach right now. They beat bad teams and lose to average to good teams. Now they get an average to good team with a strong offense. If it is close it’ll be a shootout, if it is not close, I assume it will be because the Cardinals offense can’t keep pace with the Rams new and improved offense.

If they lose this game, you have to think it is over at this point, because they then have to travel to San Francisco following the bye then get Seattle on a short week. They have to come out of this three-game stretch winning two of three, and in my opinion, that means winning the first two games and knowing that the Seattle game, on a short week, is just gravy.

If they do that… and then get David Johnson back, it will be a different feeling than it is right now.

Big picture...where is this franchise headed? This year really feels like we're turning a corner. The old NFL of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and Drew Brees (and Carson Palmer?) seems to be coming to a pretty full end. Carson Wentz and the Philadelphia Eagles are 5-1.

The
Jacksonville Jaguars look like legitimate contenders in spite of QB Blake Bortles. The Cleveland Browns...ok, the Browns are still the Browns, but hey the Rams don't look bad! It feels like there's a new era of the NFL emerging. Where are the Cardinals headed to fit in to it? What do you guys need to do to set up for the post-Palmer, post-Fitzgerald Cardinals?

You have to wonder if this iteration of the Cardinals has already lost their place as contenders in the league and I think it is a fair question to ask. Was 2015 the mountain top for this group? If so, does continuing to ride out the string do anything?

This game, this stretch of games will tell us a lot of where the Cardinals are in the scope of not just the NFC West, but what looks like an NFL that is very winnable at the moment. Can they keep up with the youth field Eagles, Rams and Cowboys? Are they as talented as older teams like the Patriots, Chiefs and Falcons?

I don’t know, that is the truth. If you asked me two weeks ago I would say it was all over. Now, maybe they can squeeze some more water out of this old stone. Or maybe, continuing to try makes it worse… We will soon find out.
---------
How is the special teams looking. I know it drove Bruce A crazy last year.....
----------
It started out shakey again with Dawson missing 3 FG's in the first 3 games.

Lee’s punting was horrendous as well. I think in the Dallas game they had ridiculous starting field position around the 40-50 yard line for an entire half. The biggest hit was losing TJ Logan who was looking to be a game changer in punt returns before he broke his wrist in pre-season. Cards also lost their long snapper for the season and have a replacement now. Tackling has been Jekyll & Hyde. Amos Jones is the special teams coach and has not improved the unit for his entire tenure.

While Dawson and Lee seem to have gotten back on track I dread our special teams unit in coverage and returns.
---------
What about coaching?

I know Bruce Arians was a godsend early on, but I wonder how the fans feel about him with the record the way it is. It doesn’t sound like coaching is what you guys are worried about, but haven’t been following along that much either.
---------
There’s a growing concern about his ability to adapt, but with 40+ wins in 4 years, he’s earned a rope to hang himself.

Personally I think he’s done when Palmer is done, but who knows.
---------
I like the matchup of our offense against the AZ defense

Like you said Jones is the only real threat pass rushing and i think our o line will be able to give Goff ages to pass.And with Watkins,Woods,and Kupp against Peterson and the rest of the CBs it will only be a matter of time untill someone gets open with Goff having good time to pass.Im predicting a big day for Goff and the passing game,while Gurley and the running game do enough to keep the defense guessing.

On the defensive side I think we’ll bottle up Peterson pretty good but still allow a couple big runs,and we should get good pressure on Palmer and get some sack and force some bad throws that hopefully result in a pick. Final prediction is 31-20 Rams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Watching Goff, I don't think that is so true, especially the last 2 games....but yes, I get what you are thinking....to even say checkdown in that manner is a little insult.
Yes! The Rams "Special Teams" are SPECIAL and will Kill opponents!!

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
" I hope Carson survives "

That's all cardinal fans should be saying!

Ram65

Legend
That’s how much things changed with the addition of running back Adrian Peterson and the return of tackle D.J. Humphries and guard Alex Boone from injuries. Is it realistic to expect 134 yards and two touchdowns from Peterson again? No. He can’t keep up that pace, especially at 32. But Peterson obviously gives the Cardinals a run threat, which allows them to be more diverse on offense. More important, his addition made others around him play better.

How much of that was just the Tampa Bay Buccaneers being ill-prepared to defend your new running back or not respecting the ground game in general versus a legitimate new look rushing O for you guys?

I think you are selling short just how bad the run game was before last week. It was on a historically awful pace, like to the point that it couldn’t have possibly kept being as bad as it was. Now, the arrival of Peterson clearly helped, but the return of Humphries and Alex Boone (who was hurt immediately following his first game) and the removal of Evan Boehm, who was basically awful at right guard with Earl Watford, who has always been good enough in the run game.

I think turning over 3/5 of the offensive line has as much to do with the run game improvements as the addition of Peterson. However, the addition of a runner that doesn’t go down on first contact is important.

Looks like a much different O Line. I just can't count Petersen out even at 32. He has not been hit much in the last 1.5 years and looks as strong if not stronger than ever. The Rams need to stop the run from the beginning of the game.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
really, this is his answer? fisher had 5 years to fix the offense and failed miserably. mcvay comes in and fixes the offense in one offseason. he is not good, he's freaking great you fuckhead.

Yea, everyone wants to make this big point that they improved the talent and that could have made a difference for Fisher. What they don't seem to get is it was his choice to stick with the talent he had. McVay comes in with his staff and evaluate the talent and say let's dump guys that we dont think we can count on and go out and get guys that we think we can. Snead does the same job he has always done. He gets guys based on what the staff wants and we have improvement. McVay and his staff deserve all the credit.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Looks like a much different O Line. I just can't count Petersen out even at 32. He has not been hit much in the last 1.5 years and looks as strong if not stronger than ever. The Rams need to stop the run from the beginning of the game.

I would say he looked strong and ran with good purpose and violence. But I would say as strong as ever. It is very easy to see the lack of explosion out of one of his legs. He's still an explosive guy and someone we need to worry about.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Cardinals are considering benching CB Justin Bethel for Tramon Williams.
It's that time of year in the desert. Just as he did last season, Bethel has struggled mightily opposite Patrick Peterson. 34-year-old Williams' best football is behind him, but it's probably time for the Cardinals to try something else at Bethel's spot. Oct 16 - 3:25 PM
Source: Darren Urban on Twitter

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Cardinals are considering benching CB Justin Bethel for Tramon Williams.
It's that time of year in the desert. Just as he did last season, Bethel has struggled mightily opposite Patrick Peterson. 34-year-old Williams' best football is behind him, but it's probably time for the Cardinals to try something else at Bethel's spot. Oct 16 - 3:25 PM
Source: Darren Urban on Twitter

Not really any better. Tramon was terrible last year and is only a year older. Age has really killed his game. If we get Sammy matched up on him, I'm immediately looking to go deep.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't see any likely scenario where they don't stick PP on Watkins all day. Either way, our other guys should be able to get open vs the Cards secondary as long as our pass pro holds up.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/beating-the-rams.255481/

Beating the Rams

Well when the season started I liked the Cards in this game. They still can win but it will take their best effort of this year.

The most notable thing about this year’s Rams is the change in Goff. I have never seen this much improvement in a QB in one year. It’s part maturity and part coaching. It’s clearly the result of a great deal of offseason work.

I watch his games this year and a few things are obvious. He’s not going to be easy to sack. It’s not that he’s elusive, it’s just he’s been told to get rid of the ball quickly. The key is he does it. On the vast majority of the plays count 3 and it’s gone, especially if he’s out of the pocket.

The Rams attack features numerous short passes and occasionally a 2 man game with Goff & an RB or TE.

The Cards need to stay home on defense, containing Gurley and the Austin sweeps the Rams want to run. Martin will have trouble containing the edge speed, but this should fit Reddick’s game. We’ll clearly see this week if the latter can control the run and the QB. He’ll have to make good decisions.

Despite being hard to sack, the Cards must attack and confuse Goff. The good news is the Cards are one of the few teams built to handle a Rams-type offense. It takes speed and flexibility. The Cards have plenty of both.

Goff is most dangerous when in the pocket. He has a decent arm but rarely tries to throw deep when on the run. He’s usually locked on one receiver running a set pattern. In the pocket he’s calmer and uses his progressions. He can throw deep with accuracy, especially when he can step forward into the pocket.

On defense the Cards have to do a better job of collapsing the pocket. Peters did this well in a couple of games but didn't against Tampa. The Cards need to play whoever is getting that done. They must prevent Goff from running out of the middle of the pocket. He can be effective doing that.

The other critical concept is to confuse Goff. Other teams have tried and failed. The Cards must disguise their blitzes better than they did against Tampa. They need to keep moving players in and out of the line. They need to disguise the safety strategy as well, bring them up and drop them back pre-snap. At the last second bring one up. Speed and balance are essential.

They need blitzes from corners, LBs and safeties. I want to see TM flying around the defensive set. Goff should never know before the snap where TM is going to be. Whenever possible they should run different blitzes from the same formation, otherwise every snap should show pre-snap movement. Hopefully they’ve been saving at least one formation the Rams haven’t seen.

Like is often the case, the CBs will often be on an island. I’d be surprised if TM doesn’t get an interception by baiting Goff on one of those out patterns. Goff does telegraph those throws. The safeties have to come up faster to cover the zone seam. They must be careful of a stop & go pattern if the Cards are having trouble collapsing the pocket. They can’t cover Kupp with a LB. Teams have tried and gotten burnt.

Goff is already one of the most disciplined QBs in the league. The Cards have to hit him even if they can’t sack him. He has to wonder where the next hit is coming from. They have to speed up the game as much as they can. If they can’t keep Goff off balance he’s going to put up a bunch of points.

On offense the Cards just need to duplicate their last game. If they can do that; they can win. AP must have another big game so play action will work. The Rams’ secondary is weak. Palmer can beat them up if he gets a chance. The Rams will be trying to knock Palmer out of the game. The line has to hold!
----------
I also think that weather could be a factor, its going to be chilly and damp and maybe even rain as they expect a major storm on Saturday. That should favor the Cards who have been there all week, while the Rams were practicing in sunny Florida.
---------
Rams are surprisingly bad against the run this year. 29th I believe. Perhaps they are having trouble trying to install a real D philosophy, rather than Greg Williams' "just injure as many people as you can" system.

I forsee a lot of AD early and often. I'm actually feeling good about this one, which kind of worries me.
---------
Not really. Wades 3-4 Defense has taken awhile for the talented players in the Rams D to trust in, which they seem to be doing now. The Rams gave up the big play to Fournette in like the 3rd-4th play of the game for a 75 yard TD. The Rams basically shut him down for the rest of the game. the Rams D had to overcome the impulse to be the hero in covering other assignments besides their prime assignment.

They have been getting more disciplined now and have given up few yards, aside from a few splash plays the last three games. AP may get one of those, or he may not. We are about to find out. Palmer has gotten sacked like a rag doll by other teams, and I expect the same from the Rams defensive front....

btw...you guys should never have given up Calais Campbell, dude was a terror last week. - LoyalRam
---------
21125-b232ef098d5fe4f3a6086751dd653a2a.jpg

--------
Totally agree about the need to pressure and hit Goff. If we don't, this has the makings of a long day in London... I think Jones will get his pressures/hits, but he alone is not enough. Someone, somehow, some way is going to have to step up and give Jones a hand...
--------
This was a fairly good analysis Harry from an opposing team's fan. One thing you neglected to mention, unlike in years past, we have the highest rated Oline in the NFC, AND you no longer have Calais Campbell...

Goff has been rarely sacked because of the Oline AND quick passes. Goff has thrown long passes to Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods for completions and TD's. Goff missed Sammy Watkins a couple times last game because they are still getting in sync and Watkins is still getting used to the offense (missed Camp and Preseason while with the Bills). This may be the game that Goff-Watkins connection is unleashed....

We will see. - LoyalRam

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHWtT5LkmpY

---------
There's no doubt in my mind that we will have to play our best game of the year to win Sunday.

People want to write the Rams off because of the past... but they actually have a coaching staff now and the first sign of a solid team is their ability to win on the road and the Rams are 3-0 there going into Dallas which was a solid W and handled a feisty Jax squad with somewhat ease.
--------
The last time we played the Rams our defense beat the hell out of Goff.

Don't be surprised with the amount of pressure you will see from the Cards on Sunday.
---------
Different Oline...We had the worst starting LT in football last year in Greg Robinson (traded to the Lions and has already lost the starters job there) and was replaced by the best FA in the market this year in LT Andrew Whitworth.

We also added Center Sullivan that replaced Barnes, another huge upgrade. These two additions have solidified the line, and have provided leadership/veteran teaching to the other young guys (Brown and Havenstein).

Guess I'm saying if you expect last years results, you are fooling yourself. - LoyalRam

DULDxVk.png

-----------
All wins count. But other than cowboys that’s not exactly a murderers row you’ve beaten up on.
----------
True but 3 of those wins were on the road. @SF @Dallas @JAX

It's a 4-12 schedule. Not going to apologize for that. - mojorizen7
----------
Dont forget: winning more than four games has been considered a successful year for the Rams for a long time.
---------
No lie...lol...BUT, I think you will feel differently about them after this game (win or lose) if you are honest. I think the Rams get about 11 games this year - LoyalRam
----------
Don’t get me wrong, I think the Rams are legit. Not 11 wins legit. But 9 maybe 10 legit. They still have a second year QB who will likely hit some bumps as more tape in the seasons offense is available and examine by d coordinators.
-----------
Oh lord, you’re one of those that “doesn’t count” the big play. Yeesh. Those plays count. And in fact have a larger impact on the game than five 5-yard runs.
---------
That pressure has to get home to be effective. Bettcher hasn’t shown the ability to scheme a rusher come free like Bowles did.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/beating-the-rams.255481/ I also think that weather could be a factor, its going to be chilly and damp and maybe even rain as they expect a major storm on Saturday. That should favor the Cards who have been there all week, while the Rams were practicing in sunny Florida. .

LOL!!! It rained a lot up in Jax when they were here. So the Rams got Heat and Humidity with sunshine, and hot and humid and gloomy, and in the rain. So I'll think they are better prepared for all weather conditions unless it is cold.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All wins count. But other than cowboys that’s not exactly a murderers row you’ve beaten up on.

It's pretty hilarious for a Cardinals fan to claim this when their three wins came against the Colts (by 3), 49ers (by 3), and Bucs (by 5 with Fitzpatrick at QB). It took them OT to beat the 49ers and Colts. Meanwhile, they've lost to the Cowboys (by 11), the Lions (by 12), and the Eagles (by 27).

But they want to talk about our schedule not being challenging? They've gotten smoked by every good team they've played.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
@LoyalRam has older mothers holding their whimpering adult sons, saying, "It's ok honey. @LoyalRam won't hurt you. Maybe you should take a break from your keyboard for a while and let mom make you a pot pie."