What can we learn from the Sea Hawks Defensive effort vs Philly?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
From what I saw, the Eagles offense is similar to our offense sans the misdirection built into every play, and zero deep threat. The Eagles tried to throw it short, seemingly hoping their skill players would make that one defender within tackling range miss somehow. What they didn't realize is that the Sea Hawks DB's DO NOT EVER miss a tackle. I saw at least 2 screen plays that resulted in tackles for losses thanks to heads up plays made by a sure tackling secondary. Number 41 was the main culprit if I'm not mistaken.

I think if we can just trust our CB's to make tackles at the point of the catch we can shut down their offense. Especially now that Wentz no longer has Ertz to exploit match ups with and actually make deep passes.

Also, the Eagles skill players have zero heart, hit them hard enough times and they seem to not be willing to make plays anymore.

What do you guys/gals/superfluous AI's think?

RedRam

Pro Bowler
The Rams miss too many tackles. So that is going to be an issue until it's fixed. If it can be fixed...

I'd bet that Ertz plays on Sunday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Even if he plays, he will likely be concussed still and so he will make mistakes due to his brain constantly having stupid attacks during the game. Or at least I hope.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seahawks have always been physical in the secondary too, which is something that's hard to capture on a stat line. Receivers get held just the right amount of time, pushed, hit hard, and quickly tackled to limit RAC. It's a real testament to the roster and staff that they're playing as well as they have been without Sherman and Kam.

Rams seem to give up more busted coverages, but have still managed to do very well in passer rating against (5th and ahead of the Seahawks 77.3 to 79.9). One thing I think the Rams DBs have done a good job of though is to be in the right spot for turnovers, and have probably dropped more INTs than any other team going off the eyeball test.

This is why I think we'll do very well if they get a good, consistent rush in Wentz's face. He's gonna make some of those superhuman plays, but if the rush is there I like our chances.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
But the OP brings up a solid point. Seattle is more susceptible to passes thrown downfield. The key is it keeps Wagner and Wright further away. They are the key (along w/ Earl Thomas...) to Seattle's defense. If you can get their CBs or even their safeties out on an island they aren't as effective. And it shows Philly wants to have a true west coast offense w/ a ball control passing game. So press them at the line and take that away. This is what Seattle did. We like to play off coverage a lot but will need to change Sunday to be effective.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The Rams defense is susceptible to an occasional big play, but it seems like these big plays happen in the first half. The Rams have pretty much dominated most 3rd quarters after making adjustments. Stay fundamentally sound on defense, limit big plays (20+ yards) and win the turnover battle.

Do that and we're sitting in the 2nd seed playoff spot come Monday morning! :boxing:

Ram65

Legend
From what I saw, the Eagles offense is similar to our offense sans the misdirection built into every play, and zero deep threat. The Eagles tried to throw it short, seemingly hoping their skill players would make that one defender within tackling range miss somehow. What they didn't realize is that the Sea Hawks DB's DO NOT EVER miss a tackle. I saw at least 2 screen plays that resulted in tackles for losses thanks to heads up plays made by a sure tackling secondary. Number 41 was the main culprit if I'm not mistaken.

I think if we can just trust our CB's to make tackles at the point of the catch we can shut down their offense. Especially now that Wentz no longer has Ertz to exploit match ups with and actually make deep passes.

Also, the Eagles skill players have zero heart, hit them hard enough times and they seem to not be willing to make plays anymore.

What do you guys/gals/superfluous AI's think?

The Rams miss too many tackles. So that is going to be an issue until it's fixed. If it can be fixed...

I'd bet that Ertz plays on Sunday.

Hopefully, Ertz does not play. Still looking for hints. Starting to think he won't play as this is 2nd concussion in two years.

As far as the Eagles offense. They didn't show it against the Hags. Word here is they played tentative. They are usually are more aggressive. I halfway watch them play. Wentz has the ROP and ROR so that makes the defense hesitate a little. Wentz was off against the Hags...missed two TDs. Rams have to make tackles against this Eagles team, cover and get pressure.

+They like to run the ball. I expect early against the Rams. They get big run plays every game it seems. Lot of good RBs that break tackles.

+Ertz is a big part of the offense and Wentz go to WR/TE. Ertz gets short and mid range passes.

+They take shots down field---some from Wentz' off schedule scrambles.

+They also get good field position from turnovers and score.

+Jeffery and Wentz heating up recently.

+Barner is a good punt returner.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We learned what we already knew, I think. The more you pressure a QB the more bad decisions or harder the throws he has to make. Carson can run which is a bit of an issue but as long as you don't give any QB all day to pass you can win.
We need AD and team to make his day difficult.