What Broncos Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
...the only teams that have found success in slowing it down are those that can cover really good while generating pressure without blitzing, but also that can tackle well before the sticks.

And this has been the Rams' defensive achilles heel and fan frustration. Many of us think Williams over blitzes or blitzes at inappropriate times like 3rd and 10+. It has improved lately though so I think it's reasonable for us to hope he let's the Rams' front 4 do their thing most of the time this game. If Williams isn't acutely aware you can't blitz Manning with our secondary going one on one...I won't know what to say. The good news for the Rams is sending 3 or 4 will get the job done. Now, can they cover?

Rams tackling has been poor at times, especially by the LBs, but they too have stepped it up recently. Ogletree's last few games have been his best all season IMHO. He has the speed to be anywhere at any time. It's his decision making that was holding him back.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
not with the way he's been playing lately. 2nd year in a row he's been struggling, and the falcons are 3-6 with him, 2 wins coming over the bucs and the season opener against the saints...losses to vikings, giants, ravens, bengals, lions,bears.. couple ugly performances in there too, with a couple of low scoring games

He's on a bad team. He's my go to example of what happens when you have a QB, but your OL and the rest suck. 3-6 with him doesn't really mean much in this context.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/11/14/7218601/ultimate-fan-guide-broncos-get-a-shutout

Ultimate Fan Guide: Broncos get a shutout against struggling Rams
By Laurie Lattimore-Volkmann and PearlJamBroncoGaryFunk on Nov 14 2014

20141109_kkt_st3_047.jpg.0.jpg

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

You read that right. With the NFL's No. 1 rush defense and a sack duo that is on fire, PearlJamBroncosGaryFunk has his heart set on a shutout. And why the heck not? Seems like a good time for the Broncos to fire on all cylinders, doesn't it?

And now it's time to talk St. Louis Rams with PearlJamBroncoGaryFunk, a lifelong Broncos fan who quite possibly owns the longest SBNation code name ever but also made the coolest Broncos flag for his fence. I'd like one of those for Christmas, please!

And while this Kansas-living, Pearl Jam-loving, cold weather-hoping diehard Broncos fan no longer believes the team's' play is dependent on his own focus during the game, G-Funk takes no chances and still probably sports the most Broncos gear of any fan short of The Barrel Man (who probably doesn't count since he really only wore a barrel!).

So let's get this orange and blue jam fest going, shall we?

Denver v. St. Louis

MHR - What are your takeaways from the Raiders game that ended up a blowout?

G-Funk:First, I started to think that this was an atrociously horrible team and we took far too long to "get into our groove."

However, there really is no such thing as a cupcake team or an "easy win" in the NFL, especially when it comes to division rivals. We came and we conquered. I don't like to make excuses for us losing or winning. Though, I will never forget the worst officiated game I've ever seen - our 2012 playoff exit. (No) Thanks to Bill Vinovich and his crew, I can wholeheartedly say that was a game we would and should have won, if it weren't for the officiating.

I think another big thing I got from this game, it reaffirmed my faith in our run D (not that Oakland has been a bunch of world-beaters in the rushing department, but still). I still don't like a lot of Del Rio's schemes, as it seems we employ a bit too much off-coverage on the back end, and I'd like to see far more blitzes, but those are always a gamble in some fashion.

After that first-quarter performance, I was ecstatic about the rest - just because of that first quarter. It also helped that my girlfriend said she doesn't like games "like that." I let her know those are some of the most fun to watch - when your team is just absolutely dominating the other team. Especially when that team is a division rival. Especially when it is the Raiders. Here's to another six consecutive wins against 'em!

MHR - If you are Adam Gase, how do you help your offense figure out how to get in rhythm at the beginning of the game, rather than midway through or late in the game?

G-Funk: That has to be tough. The best idea I can come up with is in practice - if they are doing a two-minute drill (what drill doesn't really matter, as long as it is offense-based) and arbitrarily stop the team at random intervals, make them go sit down for 10, 20 minutes, then get back and "start over," or even start with a completely different set of plays/drills/schemes.

If the offense were in the middle of drills and then pulled away and made to "get cold," then thrown back into the fire, as it were... that may encourage an instantaneous ability to "warm up"?? Best I could come up with.

Point is, I guess, to kind of surprise them into being ready, so they get used to starting from scratch, as it were. I'm sure that's been thought of and perhaps even tried in some way, because I can't be a pioneer of such an idea. If I am, I'm getting paid way less than I should be.

NFLN_Playbook @NFLN_Playbook

The @Broncos rank 1st in both yards/play on offense (6.21) and yards/play allowed on defense (4.66).

MHR - By record, the St. Louis Rams don't look very good - Last in the NFC West at 3-6, 28th in league for total points scored (163) and 27th in league for points allowed (251). Yet they've beaten the Seahawks and the 49ers and had chance against the Cardinals until well, they didn't. What do you make of this Rams team?

G-Funk: Well, their rushing game has been pretty inconsistent. Their passing game has been dwindling and getting more questionable week by week. The only thing they have going for them is the D (and "going" is kind of an understatement at that). Their special teams aren't anything to write home about. This is all relative to how awesome we are, mind you.

As mentioned earlier, there is not an easy win in the NFL. This team is capable of beating us. I don't like the idea of playing this defense, but it will be a superb test and showing of just how much faith our O-Line should have from the fans/rest of the team.

At this point, I am far from comfortable with what the organization has done to protect Manning. The shuffling of the O-Line in weeks 9 and 10 of the regular season, and not due to injury, is a huge red flag.

However, with what I feel our defense is, and can be, I am not worried at all about the Rams' offense. If there were a game this regular season where we were going to hold the other team scoreless, I'd bet on this one (it sure looked like we could have shut the 49ers out, but I digress).

MHR - This is the last road game of our three-game stretch of away games before one game back at Mile High. How is this kind of road schedule useful for preparing for playoffs and a Super Bowl? What should the Broncos be practicing more of to make these useful for those games in January?

G-Funk: As we saw in February - crowd noise. We should always expect it. Even at home (some "fans," I swear - that should be one of the easiest things to understand about football, is what home field advantage means - shut up when Your O is on the field people!) I'm always surprised by this.

I think it would also be beneficial to practice/do more trick plays as well. Ask the Rams. They had an awesome fake punt on a fourth down that was the primary catalyst for them being able to pull through and defeat Seattle (their punter now has an excellent QB rating, by the way). Granted, I have a strong feeling that we'll end up with the No. 1 seed, so likely won't have to worry about crowd noise in the playoffs, but it is something we obviously need to be better prepared for. I will try to refrain from mentioning last February any more in my answers. Dang it.

MHR - According to PFF grades, there are a few Rams players who could cause some issues for the Broncos:
  • On offense, Jared Cook has been a productive tight end, and the Broncos have been known to let TEs get away with some big plays.
  • On defense, two rookies for the Rams have been proving their worth - defensive lineman Aaron Donald(+20.5 overall, +7.5 on pass rush) and cornerback E.J. Gaines (+6.6)
What do the Broncos need to do to make sure these guys aren't playmakers on Sunday?

G-Funk: Well thanks for stealing my thunder. I totally looked up these exact stats and was going to use them in one of my answers to help show my elaborate research skill and immaculate football acumen, but.... ah, I'm kidding.

I have looked at a lot of numbers and stats, these included, and...

• I have more confidence in us not letting Cook, or Lance Kendricksfor that matter, get away with any big hauls. Brandon Marshall has been showing better coverage skills (especially last week - Awesome!). As long as we don't see Von Miller lined up to cover either of them, I think we'll hold them to under 30 yards/3 catches combined and no TDs.
  • These two along with Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, William Hayes, James Laurinaitis ... the Rams have a front that can get things done. With Our O-Line so questionable, I have absolutely zero answers here, besides keeping a RB/TE in/near the backfield for emergency chips. LoLoti (*ed's note: I had to look that one up!)
MHR - What are your thoughts on last week's reshuffle in the O-line and how do you think the line will do against the Rams' D?

G-Funk: I'd love to see Ben Garland really step up, and the O-Line be in a logical order (say, perhaps Orlando Franklin back at RT, Louis Vasquez back to guard... y'know where we've all seen these guys do most of their best work, and to me, where they belong). But I have a hard time believing the coaches aren't shuffling for good reason.

I'm still mixed on Manny Ramirez or Will Montgomery at center, but it seems Montgomery may be better suited/more capable.

Bottom Line: I don't like the reshuffle at all at this point in the season (or any point after Week 1 for that matter). If it's not injury related, I can't help but wonder what the coaches were/weren't paying attention to in all of Training Camp/preseason/thus far in the season. Yikes. Gotta think positive though because thinking negatively about our Broncos doesn't do anyone any good. Especially me!

MHR - There was some potential that Richie Incognito would have been one of the Broncos by Sunday. It didn't happen this week, but the door still seems to be open. What do you think of that prospect - good or bad for the team?

G-Funk: You know, I cannot be one to pretend to know all the answers, and it seems many are willing to act like they do on subjects like this. If he helps the team, great.

But what if he brings bad mojo into the locker room? Personally, I don't think "the locker room" would allow it, let alone our staff. But I'd rather not have him. I would like to think we have the necessary talent already on the roster, plus I never paid attention to his play. Regardless...

Overall, it is BAD for the team because there is zero reason we should even have to be looking for O-Line help at this point in the season when it's not because of an injury. Bad, bad, bad.

MHR - The Broncos running game was a big concern among MHR members before and at the start of the season. After Montee Ball came out with an injury Ronnie Hillman, C.J. Anderson and Juwan Thompson have all stepped in and had big games. Now that Hillman is out with an injury, and Anderson had a huge game last week, what are your thoughts on the running game (and even the prospect ofKapri Bibbs)?

G-Funk: I've been cautiously optimistic about our running game since before the season started (for those who even kind of know me, me being anything less than full-blown optimistic is rare, ha ha!). I felt that those who make such decisions, were willing to let Moreno go, so we must have had more than one someone we were comfortable with.

I've loved Juwan every time I've seen him carry the rock. Anderson was not quite as flashy but just as reliable, and after last week, he'll either seem less awesome because he doesn't break out again, or he's just starting to show us what to expect.

Bibbs... I'm pretty durn biased when it comes to any "homers." I've not really seen enough from him on an NFL field to have confidence, or lack thereof. But he reminds me of Jeremiah Johnson in that I sense he may never really get a chance with the Broncos. Wouldn't mind being wrong on that at all though!

MHR - Brock Osweiler, Cody Latimer and Ben Garland all got to play against the Raiders. How do you feel about these backups (and others) who may see playing time before the end of the season?

G-Funk: I agree with many that Latimer should be getting any playing time at the WR position over Caldwell. There is much speculation as to why he hasn't yet, and I will refrain from adding my useless conjecture to that. I just know that it's a good thing we don't really need him at this juncture. Good to have him waiting in the wings just in case.

It seems like they never really let Brock play. But I don't know what play calls they've allowed him either. I expect greater than he has shown, given who his mentors have been for his entire NFL career (Manning and Elway? Come on! No fair to any other QB, like.... ever). Also with the possibility that he may not even sign a second contract here, it makes me rather antsy to see stuff/more from him.

Love Ben. So glad he got the chance to get out on the field and hope to see more from him. It may have just been a courtesy because of Veteran's Day, but I'd like to think he earned that playing time and that we'll see more of him (and see him improve)! I liked what I saw from him in Training Camp his rookie year as a D-Lineman but haven't seen nearly enough of him to judge how well he can do on the O-Line.

MHR - The Broncos are the No. 1 rushing defense in the NFL; have two of the NFL's season sack leaders on the team in Von Miller andDeMarcus Ware; and have Brandon Marshall, one of two linebackers in the league with 70+ tackles so far. What do you anticipate when the Broncos D lines up against a very suspect Rams offense?

G-Funk: Wouldn't it be sweet to have a Bronco break the single-game sack record? I expect nothing less than that. Ha!

OK, seriously... I expect domination here. There is no excuse if we don't just absolutely throttle this offense. Greg Robinson and Wells (not as much) and are their only linemen I've ever taken notice of due to excellent/above average play. I seriously would not be surprised if we shut this offense down completely. And I would duly appreciate not giving up any garbage time points this time, thank you very much!

MHR - What do you think the Broncos goals out of this game should be (other than a W, of course!)?

• O-Line to gel. J-E-L-L-O (line)
  • LB/D backfield getting tighter and tighter.
  • Execution. This is where I feel we could benefit from basically practicing our execution on standard/vanilla-type plays, and even throw in some trick plays.
  • Penalties. This should be a huge game to have a big focus on no penalties.
  • I really still wonder if we were trying "new" stuff in the first quarter of the Oakland game and that was the reason for the slow start. If so, this would be another game where we could probably get away with devoting a quarter of the game to "practice."
  • And as with every game: No injuries!!!

Predictions:

Full stat line for Peyton Manning? 30/38, 349 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INT

Number of yards total by the Broncos running backs? 233

Which wide receiver will have the most yards? DT!!!

Number of sacks on whichever QB is in there (Shaun Hill)? I'll say 8!#Confidence

Number of sacks on Manning? 2

DT/DE/DB (from Broncos) with the most tackles? I was going to say Talib, but I'm going to go out on a limb (somewhat) and say Roby. Back-to-back eye-drawing games from the rook!

Broncos player with the most INTs? Rahim Moore wakes from a dream and gets 2.

Number of penalties on the Broncos? One (Come on now, we can't go a game without a block in the back on a kickoff/punt).

Final Score? Broncos 38, Rams 0 (Going for it - Bold, I am feeling!)
---------
It won't be a shutout
But it will be a bloodbath none the less
---------
Great job, Gary...
I tried to imagine that the refs had everything to do with our loss to the Ravens in Denver in overtime (playoffs 2012), I just can’t find the real evidence to start a case. But I have looked at circumstantial evidence and I’ll relay them to you -

First off, we all know that officials don’t like to be shown up, even if they are wrong. Fox at some point during that season or the season (look man, the refs don’t forget) before, got so agitated by silly acusations that they actually threw the unsportsman like conduct penalty on him. You see, it’s like this, each year at the officials meetings, refs all head to that one particular toilet stall to air out their displeasures against some the leagues flambouyant coaches that love to take their spotlight away.

While shaking off their due/dew, one suggests that the Broncos need a lesson in humility, and guess what? Yep, you guessed it, Bill Vinovich and his merry crew were nominated. You screw with us, we’ll screw with you!! Oh, and Commissioner Rodger Goodell hugging on the Lewis at pregame warmups doesn’t help either. So, I ask you this? Are the Broncos humiliated enough yet? Maybe, maybe not.

Oh, and last week’s sheetjob of a performance in the first half by the Broncos offense is a simple reminder that play execution consistently is of the utmost importance. Coming out flatter than a day old left out Fat Tire won’t get it in the NFL, even against less than mediocre teams like the Raiders. If the Raiders ever learn how to counter punch, they just might become a 3rd place team, but that won’t happen this year, they missed their chance against a fledgling Manning for at least 1 3/4 quarters and sucked on a week old dingleberry. Meaning? The Raiders suck!!!

Del Rio’s defense often shows a great trailer, but fails to cash in at the box office. There once was a man who claimed that the best way for a secondary to score turnovers (INTs), was to play ‘off man’. I agree with that point, but I would take it a little farther, maybe even a little more extreme. I would have my CBs ‘act’ like they going to play close man coverage, and then move one, or two or all of them off man into zone coverage. Then switch it up with the opposite.

These OCs/QBs are too smart these days to get all caught up in a caustic – They’re doing it that a way concept, so we’ll do it this way. Talib/Harris/Roby will only be asked to cover for a short time with Miller/Ware/M Jackson/Wolfe on the prowl, so make the best of it when you’re doing it – OK? I want to see some more schematic blitzes using BMarshall/Ward/Harris/Roby. Make it feel like QB Shaun Hill is stuck in slow motion on LSD.

This upcoming game with the Rams may have a similar feeling as the Bills @ Miami game last night – 6-3 at halftime, before the Miami offense was able to put much together. If you’re lookingfor Manning&Company to come out blazing, you might be mistaken. Close game until our defense wears down the Rams offense. Yeah, I like it like that…

Broncos 23-11 (Safety)…
----------
30-17 is my guess
it’s going to be a struggle in the first half +…and lord i hope the Broncos coaches are ready for a couple onside kicks and fake punts and whatever else.
----------
Tre Mason will have at least one score but the game shouldn't be close.

RamzFanz

Damnit
http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/11/14/7218601/ultimate-fan-guide-broncos-get-a-shutout

Ultimate Fan Guide: Broncos get a shutout against struggling Rams
By Laurie Lattimore-Volkmann and PearlJamBroncoGaryFunk on Nov 14 2014

20141109_kkt_st3_047.jpg.0.jpg

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

You read that right. With the NFL's No. 1 rush defense and a sack duo that is on fire, PearlJamBroncosGaryFunk has his heart set on a shutout. And why the heck not? Seems like a good time for the Broncos to fire on all cylinders, doesn't it?

And now it's time to talk St. Louis Rams with PearlJamBroncoGaryFunk, a lifelong Broncos fan who quite possibly owns the longest SBNation code name ever but also made the coolest Broncos flag for his fence. I'd like one of those for Christmas, please!

And while this Kansas-living, Pearl Jam-loving, cold weather-hoping diehard Broncos fan no longer believes the team's' play is dependent on his own focus during the game, G-Funk takes no chances and still probably sports the most Broncos gear of any fan short of The Barrel Man (who probably doesn't count since he really only wore a barrel!).

So let's get this orange and blue jam fest going, shall we?

Denver v. St. Louis

MHR - What are your takeaways from the Raiders game that ended up a blowout?

G-Funk:First, I started to think that this was an atrociously horrible team and we took far too long to "get into our groove."

However, there really is no such thing as a cupcake team or an "easy win" in the NFL, especially when it comes to division rivals. We came and we conquered. I don't like to make excuses for us losing or winning. Though, I will never forget the worst officiated game I've ever seen - our 2012 playoff exit. (No) Thanks to Bill Vinovich and his crew, I can wholeheartedly say that was a game we would and should have won, if it weren't for the officiating.

I think another big thing I got from this game, it reaffirmed my faith in our run D (not that Oakland has been a bunch of world-beaters in the rushing department, but still). I still don't like a lot of Del Rio's schemes, as it seems we employ a bit too much off-coverage on the back end, and I'd like to see far more blitzes, but those are always a gamble in some fashion.

After that first-quarter performance, I was ecstatic about the rest - just because of that first quarter. It also helped that my girlfriend said she doesn't like games "like that." I let her know those are some of the most fun to watch - when your team is just absolutely dominating the other team. Especially when that team is a division rival. Especially when it is the Raiders. Here's to another six consecutive wins against 'em!

MHR - If you are Adam Gase, how do you help your offense figure out how to get in rhythm at the beginning of the game, rather than midway through or late in the game?

G-Funk: That has to be tough. The best idea I can come up with is in practice - if they are doing a two-minute drill (what drill doesn't really matter, as long as it is offense-based) and arbitrarily stop the team at random intervals, make them go sit down for 10, 20 minutes, then get back and "start over," or even start with a completely different set of plays/drills/schemes.

If the offense were in the middle of drills and then pulled away and made to "get cold," then thrown back into the fire, as it were... that may encourage an instantaneous ability to "warm up"?? Best I could come up with.

Point is, I guess, to kind of surprise them into being ready, so they get used to starting from scratch, as it were. I'm sure that's been thought of and perhaps even tried in some way, because I can't be a pioneer of such an idea. If I am, I'm getting paid way less than I should be.

NFLN_Playbook @NFLN_Playbook

The @Broncos rank 1st in both yards/play on offense (6.21) and yards/play allowed on defense (4.66).

MHR - By record, the St. Louis Rams don't look very good - Last in the NFC West at 3-6, 28th in league for total points scored (163) and 27th in league for points allowed (251). Yet they've beaten the Seahawks and the 49ers and had chance against the Cardinals until well, they didn't. What do you make of this Rams team?

G-Funk: Well, their rushing game has been pretty inconsistent. Their passing game has been dwindling and getting more questionable week by week. The only thing they have going for them is the D (and "going" is kind of an understatement at that). Their special teams aren't anything to write home about. This is all relative to how awesome we are, mind you.

As mentioned earlier, there is not an easy win in the NFL. This team is capable of beating us. I don't like the idea of playing this defense, but it will be a superb test and showing of just how much faith our O-Line should have from the fans/rest of the team.

At this point, I am far from comfortable with what the organization has done to protect Manning. The shuffling of the O-Line in weeks 9 and 10 of the regular season, and not due to injury, is a huge red flag.

However, with what I feel our defense is, and can be, I am not worried at all about the Rams' offense. If there were a game this regular season where we were going to hold the other team scoreless, I'd bet on this one (it sure looked like we could have shut the 49ers out, but I digress).

MHR - This is the last road game of our three-game stretch of away games before one game back at Mile High. How is this kind of road schedule useful for preparing for playoffs and a Super Bowl? What should the Broncos be practicing more of to make these useful for those games in January?

G-Funk: As we saw in February - crowd noise. We should always expect it. Even at home (some "fans," I swear - that should be one of the easiest things to understand about football, is what home field advantage means - shut up when Your O is on the field people!) I'm always surprised by this.

I think it would also be beneficial to practice/do more trick plays as well. Ask the Rams. They had an awesome fake punt on a fourth down that was the primary catalyst for them being able to pull through and defeat Seattle (their punter now has an excellent QB rating, by the way). Granted, I have a strong feeling that we'll end up with the No. 1 seed, so likely won't have to worry about crowd noise in the playoffs, but it is something we obviously need to be better prepared for. I will try to refrain from mentioning last February any more in my answers. Dang it.

MHR - According to PFF grades, there are a few Rams players who could cause some issues for the Broncos:
  • On offense, Jared Cook has been a productive tight end, and the Broncos have been known to let TEs get away with some big plays.
  • On defense, two rookies for the Rams have been proving their worth - defensive lineman Aaron Donald(+20.5 overall, +7.5 on pass rush) and cornerback E.J. Gaines (+6.6)
What do the Broncos need to do to make sure these guys aren't playmakers on Sunday?

G-Funk: Well thanks for stealing my thunder. I totally looked up these exact stats and was going to use them in one of my answers to help show my elaborate research skill and immaculate football acumen, but.... ah, I'm kidding.

I have looked at a lot of numbers and stats, these included, and...

• I have more confidence in us not letting Cook, or Lance Kendricksfor that matter, get away with any big hauls. Brandon Marshall has been showing better coverage skills (especially last week - Awesome!). As long as we don't see Von Miller lined up to cover either of them, I think we'll hold them to under 30 yards/3 catches combined and no TDs.
  • These two along with Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, William Hayes, James Laurinaitis ... the Rams have a front that can get things done. With Our O-Line so questionable, I have absolutely zero answers here, besides keeping a RB/TE in/near the backfield for emergency chips. LoLoti (*ed's note: I had to look that one up!)
MHR - What are your thoughts on last week's reshuffle in the O-line and how do you think the line will do against the Rams' D?

G-Funk: I'd love to see Ben Garland really step up, and the O-Line be in a logical order (say, perhaps Orlando Franklin back at RT, Louis Vasquez back to guard... y'know where we've all seen these guys do most of their best work, and to me, where they belong). But I have a hard time believing the coaches aren't shuffling for good reason.

I'm still mixed on Manny Ramirez or Will Montgomery at center, but it seems Montgomery may be better suited/more capable.

Bottom Line: I don't like the reshuffle at all at this point in the season (or any point after Week 1 for that matter). If it's not injury related, I can't help but wonder what the coaches were/weren't paying attention to in all of Training Camp/preseason/thus far in the season. Yikes. Gotta think positive though because thinking negatively about our Broncos doesn't do anyone any good. Especially me!

MHR - There was some potential that Richie Incognito would have been one of the Broncos by Sunday. It didn't happen this week, but the door still seems to be open. What do you think of that prospect - good or bad for the team?

G-Funk: You know, I cannot be one to pretend to know all the answers, and it seems many are willing to act like they do on subjects like this. If he helps the team, great.

But what if he brings bad mojo into the locker room? Personally, I don't think "the locker room" would allow it, let alone our staff. But I'd rather not have him. I would like to think we have the necessary talent already on the roster, plus I never paid attention to his play. Regardless...

Overall, it is BAD for the team because there is zero reason we should even have to be looking for O-Line help at this point in the season when it's not because of an injury. Bad, bad, bad.

MHR - The Broncos running game was a big concern among MHR members before and at the start of the season. After Montee Ball came out with an injury Ronnie Hillman, C.J. Anderson and Juwan Thompson have all stepped in and had big games. Now that Hillman is out with an injury, and Anderson had a huge game last week, what are your thoughts on the running game (and even the prospect ofKapri Bibbs)?

G-Funk: I've been cautiously optimistic about our running game since before the season started (for those who even kind of know me, me being anything less than full-blown optimistic is rare, ha ha!). I felt that those who make such decisions, were willing to let Moreno go, so we must have had more than one someone we were comfortable with.

I've loved Juwan every time I've seen him carry the rock. Anderson was not quite as flashy but just as reliable, and after last week, he'll either seem less awesome because he doesn't break out again, or he's just starting to show us what to expect.

Bibbs... I'm pretty durn biased when it comes to any "homers." I've not really seen enough from him on an NFL field to have confidence, or lack thereof. But he reminds me of Jeremiah Johnson in that I sense he may never really get a chance with the Broncos. Wouldn't mind being wrong on that at all though!

MHR - Brock Osweiler, Cody Latimer and Ben Garland all got to play against the Raiders. How do you feel about these backups (and others) who may see playing time before the end of the season?

G-Funk: I agree with many that Latimer should be getting any playing time at the WR position over Caldwell. There is much speculation as to why he hasn't yet, and I will refrain from adding my useless conjecture to that. I just know that it's a good thing we don't really need him at this juncture. Good to have him waiting in the wings just in case.

It seems like they never really let Brock play. But I don't know what play calls they've allowed him either. I expect greater than he has shown, given who his mentors have been for his entire NFL career (Manning and Elway? Come on! No fair to any other QB, like.... ever). Also with the possibility that he may not even sign a second contract here, it makes me rather antsy to see stuff/more from him.

Love Ben. So glad he got the chance to get out on the field and hope to see more from him. It may have just been a courtesy because of Veteran's Day, but I'd like to think he earned that playing time and that we'll see more of him (and see him improve)! I liked what I saw from him in Training Camp his rookie year as a D-Lineman but haven't seen nearly enough of him to judge how well he can do on the O-Line.

MHR - The Broncos are the No. 1 rushing defense in the NFL; have two of the NFL's season sack leaders on the team in Von Miller andDeMarcus Ware; and have Brandon Marshall, one of two linebackers in the league with 70+ tackles so far. What do you anticipate when the Broncos D lines up against a very suspect Rams offense?

G-Funk: Wouldn't it be sweet to have a Bronco break the single-game sack record? I expect nothing less than that. Ha!

OK, seriously... I expect domination here. There is no excuse if we don't just absolutely throttle this offense. Greg Robinson and Wells (not as much) and are their only linemen I've ever taken notice of due to excellent/above average play. I seriously would not be surprised if we shut this offense down completely. And I would duly appreciate not giving up any garbage time points this time, thank you very much!

MHR - What do you think the Broncos goals out of this game should be (other than a W, of course!)?

• O-Line to gel. J-E-L-L-O (line)
  • LB/D backfield getting tighter and tighter.
  • Execution. This is where I feel we could benefit from basically practicing our execution on standard/vanilla-type plays, and even throw in some trick plays.
  • Penalties. This should be a huge game to have a big focus on no penalties.
  • I really still wonder if we were trying "new" stuff in the first quarter of the Oakland game and that was the reason for the slow start. If so, this would be another game where we could probably get away with devoting a quarter of the game to "practice."
  • And as with every game: No injuries!!!

Predictions:

Full stat line for Peyton Manning? 30/38, 349 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INT

Number of yards total by the Broncos running backs? 233

Which wide receiver will have the most yards? DT!!!

Number of sacks on whichever QB is in there (Shaun Hill)? I'll say 8!#Confidence

Number of sacks on Manning? 2

DT/DE/DB (from Broncos) with the most tackles? I was going to say Talib, but I'm going to go out on a limb (somewhat) and say Roby. Back-to-back eye-drawing games from the rook!

Broncos player with the most INTs? Rahim Moore wakes from a dream and gets 2.

Number of penalties on the Broncos? One (Come on now, we can't go a game without a block in the back on a kickoff/punt).

Final Score? Broncos 38, Rams 0 (Going for it - Bold, I am feeling!)
---------
It won't be a shutout
But it will be a bloodbath none the less
---------
Great job, Gary...
I tried to imagine that the refs had everything to do with our loss to the Ravens in Denver in overtime (playoffs 2012), I just can’t find the real evidence to start a case. But I have looked at circumstantial evidence and I’ll relay them to you -

First off, we all know that officials don’t like to be shown up, even if they are wrong. Fox at some point during that season or the season (look man, the refs don’t forget) before, got so agitated by silly acusations that they actually threw the unsportsman like conduct penalty on him. You see, it’s like this, each year at the officials meetings, refs all head to that one particular toilet stall to air out their displeasures against some the leagues flambouyant coaches that love to take their spotlight away.

While shaking off their due/dew, one suggests that the Broncos need a lesson in humility, and guess what? Yep, you guessed it, Bill Vinovich and his merry crew were nominated. You screw with us, we’ll screw with you!! Oh, and Commissioner Rodger Goodell hugging on the Lewis at pregame warmups doesn’t help either. So, I ask you this? Are the Broncos humiliated enough yet? Maybe, maybe not.

Oh, and last week’s sheetjob of a performance in the first half by the Broncos offense is a simple reminder that play execution consistently is of the utmost importance. Coming out flatter than a day old left out Fat Tire won’t get it in the NFL, even against less than mediocre teams like the Raiders. If the Raiders ever learn how to counter punch, they just might become a 3rd place team, but that won’t happen this year, they missed their chance against a fledgling Manning for at least 1 3/4 quarters and sucked on a week old dingleberry. Meaning? The Raiders suck!!!

Del Rio’s defense often shows a great trailer, but fails to cash in at the box office. There once was a man who claimed that the best way for a secondary to score turnovers (INTs), was to play ‘off man’. I agree with that point, but I would take it a little farther, maybe even a little more extreme. I would have my CBs ‘act’ like they going to play close man coverage, and then move one, or two or all of them off man into zone coverage. Then switch it up with the opposite.

These OCs/QBs are too smart these days to get all caught up in a caustic – They’re doing it that a way concept, so we’ll do it this way. Talib/Harris/Roby will only be asked to cover for a short time with Miller/Ware/M Jackson/Wolfe on the prowl, so make the best of it when you’re doing it – OK? I want to see some more schematic blitzes using BMarshall/Ward/Harris/Roby. Make it feel like QB Shaun Hill is stuck in slow motion on LSD.

This upcoming game with the Rams may have a similar feeling as the Bills @ Miami game last night – 6-3 at halftime, before the Miami offense was able to put much together. If you’re lookingfor Manning&Company to come out blazing, you might be mistaken. Close game until our defense wears down the Rams offense. Yeah, I like it like that…

Broncos 23-11 (Safety)…
----------
30-17 is my guess
it’s going to be a struggle in the first half +…and lord i hope the Broncos coaches are ready for a couple onside kicks and fake punts and whatever else.
----------
Tre Mason will have at least one score but the game shouldn't be close.

This has to be the most uniformed interviewee I've ever suffered through. 233 yards for running backs?!? LOL! That's just asinine.

2 sacks on Manning when the Rams are leading the NFL over the last 4 games at 4 per game with that O-line? Really? SMH

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
And this has been the Rams' defensive achilles heel and fan frustration. Many of us think Williams over blitzes or blitzes at inappropriate times like 3rd and 10+. It has improved lately though so I think it's reasonable for us to hope he let's the Rams' front 4 do their thing most of the time this game. If Williams isn't acutely aware you can't blitz Manning with our secondary going one on one...I won't know what to say. The good news for the Rams is sending 3 or 4 will get the job done. Now, can they cover?

Rams tackling has been poor at times, especially by the LBs, but they too have stepped it up recently. Ogletree's last few games have been his best all season IMHO. He has the speed to be anywhere at any time. It's his decision making that was holding him back.
Night and day over the past couple of weeks.
Our defense is a sight for sore eyes.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Night and day over the past couple of weeks.
Our defense is a sight for sore eyes.

Dude, it's awesome. I have been cruising the Denver forums and the common theme is that the rams pass rush has fallen on its face. They are looking at the season stats and not realising they all came in the last 4 games. When they see 3-4 players rushing for pressure and sacks, it's going to be a shock. PLEASE GW, don't friggin' over blitz or do it when we have them at 3rd and 10+!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

I thought the Arizona game was the best of his career. He looked like an elite LB out there. Let's hope he keeps it up.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I thought the Arizona game was the best of his career. He looked like an elite LB out there. Let's hope he keeps it up.

His run defense was lights out. Against the Niners too. His angles for containment were dead on after letting Wilson school him. He's always had the speed and athleticism, but he's looking like the light's come on. He pulled some delayed blitzes hiding behind the line that were awesome.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
and if they play man 2 man I have a feeling there will be quite a few DPI calls against the Rams DB's this week
Yeah, my thoughts as well...Hope we mix it up a bit, but anticipate the quick passes and play a little tighter man-to-man coverage...Like 5 yards....I see JJ with a couple of picks if Peyton tries him & the jackrabbit is still jumping routes....Looking to see how EJ does this week, how bout you @RhodyRams ?

iced

He's on a bad team. He's my go to example of what happens when you have a QB, but your OL and the rest suck. 3-6 with him doesn't really mean much in this context.

right but there's different tiers of quarterbacks - clearly i don't think as much as ryan as you do.... his OL might not be great but they're not playing as bad as theRams OL and Ryan is friggen loaded with weapons

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yeah, my thoughts as well...Hope we mix it up a bit, but anticipate the quick passes and play a little tighter man-to-man coverage...Like 5 yards....I see JJ with a couple of picks if Peyton tries him & the jackrabbit is still jumping routes....Looking to see how EJ does this week, how bout you @RhodyRams ?

Gaines is the least of our worries for sure. Last game, some of those pass defenses were...OMG!

2 INTs, one for a P6? Yes. 3 INTs would be a game changer and these guys are capable of doing it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Dude, it's awesome. I have been cruising the Denver forums and the common theme is that the rams pass rush has fallen on its face. They are looking at the season stats and not realising they all came in the last 4 games. When they see 3-4 players rushing for pressure and sacks, it's going to be a shock. PLEASE GW, don't friggin' over blitz or do it when we have them at 3rd and 10+!
They're in for a rude awakening. Manning will be in the ice tub longer than usual after Sunday.

RamzFanz

Damnit
They're in for a rude awakening. Manning will be in the ice tub longer than usual after Sunday.

While I want the win more than anything, just shocking them and keeping it close will get me pumped. Denver is a powerhouse team. Rams could be a powerhouse after Denver if Hill is what I think he is. Beating Denver would be out-friggin-standing. Better than Hawks. We have the Hawks number but not Denvers.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
While I want the win more than anything, just shocking them and keeping it close will get me pumped. Denver is a powerhouse team. Rams could be a powerhouse after Denver if Hill is what I think he is. Beating Denver would be out-friggin-standing. Better than Hawks. We have the Hawks number but not Denvers.
Playoffs may be out of reach, but beating SF, Seattle and Denver would be a nice consolation prize.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
right but there's different tiers of quarterbacks - clearly i don't think as much as ryan as you do.... his OL might not be great but they're not playing as bad as theRams OL and Ryan is friggen loaded with weapons

Clearly I don't think nearly as much of his weapons as you do.:)
I don't think their OL is any better than ours either. Frankly, I think the Falcons are pretty sorry overall. Certainly not loaded with anything.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

what they are missing is the fact that quarterbacks and a couple of wide receiver sweeps have really hit the Rams for big numbers and that has made the run defense look worse than it is on paper .......... running backs other than early in the season aren't getting shit on the Rams

Denver will not be running the ball successfully but that's not the issue or the worry with that O anyway

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
what they are missing is the fact that quarterbacks and a couple of wide receiver sweeps have really hit the Rams for big numbers and that has made the run defense look worse than it is on paper .......... running backs other than early in the season aren't getting crap on the Rams

Denver will not be running the ball successfully but that's not the issue or the worry with that O anyway
Not to worry Les.
The Rams d is going to make Peyton Manning feel like Austin Davis has the past 5 weeks.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not to worry Les.
The Rams d is going to make Peyton Manning feel like Austin Davis has the past 5 weeks.

if the Rams upset the Broncos that would be huge news........ I wonder if a team has ever beaten both Super Bowl participants the very next season......... I think not

Last edited: