What Atlanta 2008 says about the 2012 Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

From a different post (by me):

Boudreau knows how to teach a line to cohere. Where the sum is greater than the parts. This is partly due to his committment to the running game and a short-drop passing game. In fact, the Falcons OL under Boudreau always gave the Rams fits. I don't coach OL so I don't know what the magic is here.

Okay I think it's somewhat instructive to look at the 2008 Atlanta offense. Boudreau was there then and a Rams coach now.

I ain't acting like Boudreau is the coordinator. I just think that In terms of philosophical approach, there is a more or less rough compatibility among Fisher, BrianS, and Boudreau. If they were three rings they would overlap a lot.

three-overlapping-circles.png

If true then looking at Atlanta 2008 tells you a lot. Or tells you something.

Atlanta 2008 had a commitment to the run, a rookie qb, and a completely re-made OL. In fact, Boudreau took a rookie, 3 young guys (including 2 UDFAs), and a veteran center and made a good line out of them.

But that line was good in part because it fit a particular offensive philosophy. There was a synergy between the OL play and overall offensive approach. Of course. There always is. Except when there isn't and then you have disaster instead.

So what is the analogy between 2008 Atlanta and 2012 St. Louis? Well Ryan was actually further along as a rookie than Bradford cause he didn't come from a spread offense. He had less learning on the job to do. So I figure there's a kind of very general similarity between a third year Bradford after a bad year and a 1st year Ryan. I don't mean in terms of their physical make-up or the way they throw or play or any of that. I just mean in terms of their relative development curve in relation to the pro game.

Looking at Ryan's relevant numbers:

Falcons were 2nd in rushing attempts and 2nd in yards. It was one of those great running games that determines everything. Ryan had it easy, comparatively.

Falcons were 29th in passing attempts...but 14th in yards. They were 3rd in yards per attempt.

A factor in the yards per attempt--they had 2 veteran WRs: Roddy White (4th year) and Jenkins (5th year). White had already had a break-out year in 2007 (83 for 1200 something).

Ryan tended to throw when it was necessary and so they lined up for it. That means that 69.5% of his attempts included 0 to 1 TEs. 60.8% of his attempts were out of 3 and 4 WR sets. Yet 3-4 WR sets only account for on average 16 attempts per game. That's 25.4% of their plays.

In contrast, if you combine Turner's and Norwood's numbers, 50.1% of their rushing attempts were out of 2-3 TE sets.

Just looking at those last 2 numbers, that means they tended to line up to run, most of the time you knew it from the formation; when they lined up to pass, most of the time you knew it from the formation.

Jets were the same in 09 and 2010, btw.

63.5% of Turner's runs were on first down. He averaged 4.5 yards a carry on 1st down.

26.2% of Ryan's throws were on first down.

How do Ryan's passes break down according to range? --->

Short. 10 Yards & below: 64.4% of total attempts, with 66.3% completions
Medium. 11-20 yards: 23% of total attempts, with 59% completions
Deep medium. 21-30 yards: 7.3% of total attempts, with 40.6% completions
Long. 31+ yards: 5.3% of total attempts, with 34% completions
...which btw is not a bad completion rate on long attempts.

One big difference between what Atlanta WAS and what the 2012 Rams COULD BE. The Falcons were 24th in total defense in 2008.

A healthy Rams defense with an active Fred Robbins in 2010 was 19th in total defense. Now they have a more experienced JL, 2 talented ends, an upgrade at DT over the diminished Robbins of 2011, and a healthy secondary. So I think they can actually be as good as or better than 2010. That means they keep the scoring down and that means the offense does not play from behind. Another advantage.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nice work-up, and some pretty solid points. I know I said that of all the offenses out there, that I'd like the Rams to emulate the Falcons. I remember it vividly. They're very balanced and disciplined, and they can keep opposing defenses guessing. They rarely have to play from very far behind, so the game plan can stay relatively the same and their choices aren't so limited. Plus their defense is always pretty solid. (This is since Matty Ice came along).

You can kinda see the Rams starting to gear themselves that way. Couple of potentially good receivers, two very good and very different backs, a high-pressure defense, and a QB who's capable of taking advantage of opportunities with his accuracy. Now if we can just keep the same mother&*%@#$* system in place for more than a year, there's a very good chance that the Rams can continue to make strides. And it looks particularly favorable now that we have these additional picks the next couple of years to use as draft currency. If this draft class pans out, it's a GIANT leap forward.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So you feel it too? :cheers:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah and Turner had 17 freakin TDs that year. Plus Norwood (oh lord) was a legit ( :grr: ) 2nd RB.

Hopefully our OC this year sees that when it's 1-3 yards from the endzone, he gives it to the beast w/ the dreads back there, and not get cute and pass into a small window.