What are they going to do about this O Line?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
from what im seeing we only have 2 decent players on line . Brown and Saffold. one is a injury waiting to happen and the other just got injured. they gotta do something. The line is going to hurt whole offense

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
from what im seeing we only have 2 decent players on line . Brown and Saffold. one is a injury waiting to happen and the other just got injured. they gotta do something. The line is going to hurt whole offense

My first thought is.....lose games early in the season.:(

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
G Rob is playing ok isn't he? I haven't seen him get whipped much yet. Havenstein is learning on the job. But yeah its a huge concern. If we don't make the playoffs this year I can almost guarantee it will be because of this issue....again.

What are they going to do? I don't really know what they can do at this point. Who is available on the free agent wire they can call?

V3

Hall of Fame
G Rob is playing ok isn't he? I haven't seen him get whipped much yet. Havenstein is learning on the job. But yeah its a huge concern. If we don't make the playoffs this year I can almost guarantee it will be because of this issue....again.

What are they going to do? I don't really know what they can do at this point. Who is available on the free agent wire they can call?
GRob looked bad tonight. He's looked bad all preseason. Tonight I probably saw him get away with about three or four holding penalties. He's resorting to holding because he's getting beat routinely. He actually looks worse this year. To say I'm concerned about him would be an understatement.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
GRob has looked bad so far not terrible. He drops back deep like he doesn't haven't the speed to match the DE on the outside rush. Havenstien has looked like he is struggling but not completely overwhelmed. He seems to get better as the games goes on.

The offensive line is actually doing a good job of keeping Foles from taking big hits, but they're not opening many holes for the running backs which is supposed to be their strength.

This isn't what we were told to expect but I'll take it since our new QB isn't taking a beating. I do think this young o-line will get better fast

Last edited:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I've rewatched most of the first team offensive snaps and Robinson was by far and away the worst of all of the o line last night.

The very first play it was his man that made the tackle on Mason. GRob didn't look like a road grader at all.

Next play his man gets round him easily and is about to get to Foles but Jamon Brown got back and put a shoulder on him to allow Foles to get the throw off.

Very impressed with Brown (didn't look like a rookie) and Rhaney (playing guard instead of centre).

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I want to echo the Robinson comments. I watched him early and he just looked very slow to me. He was chasing his guy. Not impressive at all. It does concern me.

…..

Legend
The answer is Practice.

Unfortunately, the players voted to reduce practice time. Its evident across the league and is not a problem thast only the Rams are facing.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Here's what I'm going to do, it's not the only approach, but I like it. I'm going to wait until 4 of the 5 OLers have at least one combined start between them before panicking. Once they do I'm going to go completely overboard and lose my shit, unless they play like a group of 10 year All Pro veterans.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's what I'm going to do, it's not the only approach, but I like it. I'm going to wait until 4 of the 5 OLers have at least one combined start between them before panicking. Once they do I'm going to go completely overboard and lose my crap, unless they play like a group of 10 year All Pro veterans.

:LOL:

That made me laugh (y)

Athos

Legend
I'm honestly beginning to wonder if GRob gets forced inside whether he likes it or not. Every time I look left, it seems like he's been driven back at least five yards instead of pushing forward.

FRO

Legend
You have to realize the only projected starter that has started one full season is Saffold. It looks like he is going to be play banged up this year. We have two pure rookies starting. We have a left tackle who was super raw when drafted and he still has a bunch of development to do. Our starting C will be a guy who at most has started 3 games. To expect this line to come in and not struggle is silly. When will they get it together? I don't know, but I expect it will take time.

The blame goes to not having a plan to build your offense. With all those draft picks from the RGIII trade, and a truly horrific inherited offensive line, Fisher and Snead totally dropped the ball. They should have staked out what they wanted the offense to look like early and built it accordingly. If you want to be a ground and pound team you take linemen over WRs. Cordy Glenn over Brian Quick. You also don't trade up for speedy gadget players (Tavon Austin). That move cost us Larry Warford a guy we were high on. Glenn and Warford are both perfect fits at OG for the ground and pound. Add in Greg Robinson and Rob Havenstien in two consecutive drafts and you would have slowly but surely built the line. Instead we tried to do it in one offseason and it will probably lead to another slow start.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll fire up the phone booth and see if I can bring back Pace, Mack, and Slater.

hhDOcUw.jpg

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have to realize the only projected starter that has started one full season is Saffold. It looks like he is going to be play banged up this year. We have two pure rookies starting. We have a left tackle who was super raw when drafted and he still has a bunch of development to do. Our starting C will be a guy who at most has started 3 games. To expect this line to come in and not struggle is silly. When will they get it together? I don't know, but I expect it will take time.

The blame goes to not having a plan to build your offense. With all those draft picks from the RGIII trade, and a truly horrific inherited offensive line, Fisher and Snead totally dropped the ball. They should have staked out what they wanted the offense to look like early and built it accordingly. If you want to be a ground and pound team you take linemen over WRs. Cordy Glenn over Brian Quick. You also don't trade up for speedy gadget players (Tavon Austin). That move cost us Larry Warford a guy we were high on. Glenn and Warford are both perfect fits at OG for the ground and pound. Add in Greg Robinson and Rob Havenstien in two consecutive drafts and you would have slowly but surely built the line. Instead we tried to do it in one offseason and it will probably lead to another slow start.
3883747.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The blame goes to not having a plan to build your offense. With all those draft picks from the RGIII trade, and a truly horrific inherited offensive line, Fisher and Snead totally dropped the ball. They should have staked out what they wanted the offense to look like early and built it accordingly.
Yeah, but there's a flip-side to that too. They could have invested heavily in the O-line early on, but then it's possible we're complaining about our super sucky defense that can't seem to cover anyone or stop the run, and we constantly give up 30+ points to other teams.

Now I gotta hear, "What the fuck is wrong with Fisher? He's supposed to be a strong defensive minded coach, and we absolutely suck on defense. I don't know why he kept drafting offensive linemen when we have nobody to run the ball and no receivers worth a shit. Could have used some draft capital on that, right? And why can't we EVER find anyone who can return punts???? It's been 15 years since we were glad to have Hakim fumbling for us! And can we PLEASE get someone to plug up the middle of the defense so we stop getting gashed for 200 yards by no-name running backs for once! And maybe a corner or two who knows how to play man coverage? I swear to God, Fisher is the worst thing to happen to us since Jason Smith. At least he didn't have a hand in drafting THAT pile of rubbish with one of his high picks. I guess I'll give him a D- where Devaney gets an F."

Athos

Legend
I don't think anyone is arguing against building a dominant D. But Fisher did choose flashy players that weren't close to being ready if ever in Quick and Pead. Trading up for a guy like Tavon.

Those picks could have gone to the Offensive line. I think they misplaced having weapons on O over the need to provide tim for the QB to even use said weapons.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
You have to realize the only projected starter that has started one full season is Saffold. It looks like he is going to be play banged up this year. We have two pure rookies starting. We have a left tackle who was super raw when drafted and he still has a bunch of development to do.

And who's fault would that be?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bleh. I'm staying off this board today.

Don't feel like getting out of bed just to hang my head. Last night got me excited for some real Rams football (win or lose), but instead I get to read about how the O-line sucks, Fisher fucked up the rebuild, we can't stop committing penalties, pre-season matters for suck-ass teams, we overreached for Tavon, and blah blah boo fuckety hoo. It's a beautiful morning, so I'm gonna go enjoy it.

If there's a big pool of tears on this board when I get back, I ain't cleanin' it up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I remember correctly, the Snead/Fisher plan was to pick a unit and make that unit great. He picked the defense first...It isn't fair to compare a normal bad team that makes a big jump, like Cards did under Arians....We were historically bad...Expansion team Bad..JOHN FREAKIN MCKAY BUCCS, bad. R-E-L-A-X.relax