What 2nd Year Guy Must Step Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tonyl711

Starter
I only see that in 4 sets ,can't see us going that small in 3 sets,I think in 3's they alternate positions and personnel but Tavon and Bailey will rarely see the field together there.
have to disagree with this, I think Bailey showed enough last season to start training camp being considered for a starting role, and Tavon will be on the field regardless of who else is on it. height isn't the end all be all, Holt and Bruce were both smaller type WRs and they did pretty well together. I think it will be about who can consistently make catches and IMO Bailey will prove to be one of our best.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
have to disagree with this, I think Bailey showed enough last season to start training camp being considered for a starting role, and Tavon will be on the field regardless of who else is on it. height isn't the end all be all, Holt and Bruce were both smaller type WRs and they did pretty well together. I think it will be about who can consistently make catches and IMO Bailey will prove to be one of our best.
Well either one of us could be correct here, but your comparison has major problems. First those were HOF caliber players which Bailey and Tavon aren't quite ready to be considered for. Further Holt and Bruce would only be smaller recs. by todays standards ,they were not small by the standards of the league they played in,nor did that league have the larger more physical DBs of today so how they would fare in todays NFL is not established at all.I think they would still be good but Tavon and Bailey average as much smaller than Bruce and Holt as Holt and Bruce do our "big recs".
So we aren't talking one step down in size we are talking two,

Despite what Masters and Johnson might say,size matters.

jjab360

Legend
I only see that in 4 sets ,can't see us going that small in 3 sets,I think in 3's they alternate positions and personnel but Tavon and Bailey will rarely see the field together there.
I disagree, and I'm not even talking about 3 WR sets, I'm talking about those guys starting as X and Z receivers. I don't care how big they are, you put your best two receivers on the field.

tonyl711

Starter
Well either one of us could be correct here, but your comparison has major problems. First those were HOF caliber players which Bailey and Tavon aren't quite ready to be considered for. Further Holt and Bruce would only be smaller recs. by todays standards ,they were not small by the standards of the league they played in,nor did that league have the larger more physical DBs of today so how they would fare in todays NFL is not established at all.I think they would still be good but Tavon and Bailey average as much smaller than Bruce and Holt as Holt and Bruce do our "big recs".

well Holt was a rookie and no one knew at the time how good he was just like with TA and SB, but the DBs were not that much smaller back then I know there are some now that are bigger than any from back then but not that many. the thing about these smaller WRs is they are usually very fast and quick in their cuts if they are good a bigger CB cant make cuts and adjustments like them, you put TA in the slot, SB and Quick (if he finally comes around) out wide and IMO you have a pretty damn good 3 WR set.

Yeah size matters, just ask Russell "too small" Wilson.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
But we know now Holt was HOF bound so the "rookie" comment is sort of argument to no purpose.,"that much smaller" admits they were and again size matters.I think to know TA and Bailey are gonna get off the line against Maxwell and Sherman ,both would have to be in motion and that's not legal.
Once off the line I agree but ya gotta get off the line.
I would prefer Cook in the slot Quick and one of the other two and him in motion.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm going with Barrett Jones. Lots of help needed on the OL and he could lessen that greatly and free up some cap $$$. B&G's mention of Cody Davis .... kid has the size and speed .... hmmmm

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
They all need to step up but Tavon can make the biggest difference.

If he can keep linebackers and safeties on the back foot, that helps our running game enormously.
I think one thing Tavon needed to learn was how to use his speed. He seemed early on to think he was just going to be able to juke guys out of their socks ... like he did in college. Late in the season, he seemed to learn to stick his foot in the ground and GO! ... cut with speed. You can't get flat footed in the NFL.

jjab360

Legend
But we know now Holt was HOF bound so the "rookie" comment is sort of argument to no purpose.,"that much smaller" admits they were and again size matters.I think to know TA and Bailey are gonna get off the line against Maxwell and Sherman ,both would have to be in motion and that's not legal.
Once off the line I agree but ya gotta get off the line.
I would prefer Cook in the slot Quick and one of the other two and him in motion.
Tavon doesn't have any problems getting off press coverage due to his ridiculous agility and short area quickness, just ask jrry. As for Bailey, he doesn't have many problems in that area either because of his long arms, strength, and leg drive. If ability to get off press coverage is the only reason you think those two guys shouldn't be starting, then there really isn't a reason at all.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Out of our last Rookie class. Who needs to make the biggest step to earn his value? I'm gonna go with B.Jones. So much versatility there. He needs to be out there playing.

Earn his value? Meaning the amount of commodity or Ram treasure put into to bring this player here & what 2013 rookie needs to perform in the near future? The most Ram treasure was invested in the WR rookie Tavon Austin. The Rams invested three 2013 draft picks in order to snatch the best WR in the 2013 draft. Rams gave up a first round #16 pick, second round # 46 in addition a late 7th rd. selection. IMO that rare priceless draft selections treasure put forth has yet to yield the fruit that was hoped for by a far far amount! It's not even close with any other rookies. The Receiver Tavon Austin has a sizable large amount of production that needs to be produced to EARN what was given for him.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If your drafted, you need to prove why.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
He was still too short to ever make a decent starter regardless of position. If you offered me Wes Welker and Steve Smith or Brian Quick and Stephen Hill I know which pair I'm taking.
Not true and not what I'm alluding to anyway, my point might be if all of Wilsons recs. were the same height as he is,his job would be much harder.
How do discussions about better/worse become these absolutes for some people just to prove points ? it's a disturbing thing

jjab360

Legend
Not true and not what I'm alluding to anyway, my point might be if all of Wilsons recs. were the same height as he is,his job would be much harder.
How do discussions about better/worse become these absolutes for some people just to prove points ? it's a disturbing thing
You must have missed the Super Bowl where he was throwing to 5'10 Golden Taint, 5'10 Doug Baldwin, and 5'11 Percy Harvin. That seemed to turn out fine, don't see why it can't with Bailey and Austin..

I may have mis-followed this discussion if so I apologise.

If no other changes are made to our receiving corps, then TA and Bailey should be our starters next year. They're both very talented in their own ways, but we really need them to step up to the plate and play like experienced veterans asap.

I read that as jjab saying that Austin and Bailey should both be starters because they are the best we have, you then said that you don't want them both on the field at the same time, not because they aren't the best we have, but because one is 5'10" the other is 5'9".

Disturbing or not it is absolute to me, you put your two best receivers on the field regardless of their height.

If they can get open and catch the ball they're better qualities than being tall, if you want to argue that you don't want them on the field together because Givens, Pettis or Quick are superior football players then I agree I'd want those three on the field ahead of A&B but again it wouldn't be based on their height.

Apologies if that's disturbing.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Barrett Jones and TJ McDonald. TJ had his moments, but I want him to see him grow towards an all around safety.

Barrett Jones..this guy needs to get significant playing time, if not starting. I get he's only a 4th round pick and needed to "get his strength back." Well it'll be almost 2 years since he played a down, IMO that's plenty of time. I'm rooting for the guy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think Bailey will show the most but I don't agree that it will be on the outside. I think Sted will work the slot - much like Danny did for us. They will use TA in a lot of different sets. Barrett Jones is someone I will really be hoping steps up. We need young studs on that line.

jjab360

Legend
I think Bailey will show the most but I don't agree that it will be on the outside. I think Sted will work the slot - much like Danny did for us. They will use TA in a lot of different sets. Barrett Jones is someone I will really be hoping steps up. We need young studs on that line.
Nah, Bailey wouldn't be a good fit for the slot. He has good build up speed, but not much quickness or agility when compared to Tavon or Amendola. His skills are better used on the perimeter, imo.

A lot of people underestimate him or don't understand what kind of player he is because of his height, but that really is the only small thing about him. He's about average weight for an NFL receiver with above average arm length and hand size. The type of routes he excels at, his body control, and his ball skills are all a better fit out wide.