Well, was it Snead or was it Fisher...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This post is a corollary to another thread I posted the other day, but I think you'll agree that it deserves it's own thread.

The following are some of the biggest and most pivotal personnel decisions of the S&F regime.

I'm very curious as to whether Snead or Fisher likely had the most input in each of these. Totally unprovable either way, of course. And Demoff will never say, either.

But it might be a fun discussion to entertain as we slowly slog toward OTA's and camp.

So here goes and with a few of my own guesses...

1) The RG3 blockbuster trade. I suspect that Snead is the one that got the ball rolling. The man gets out of bed thinking trade, it seems.

2) The Quick selection at #33. I can't decide whether it was Snead or Fisher. Probably both just got carried away at the workout?

3) Jenkins in the 2nd. I suspect it was Fisher pushing harder for the "troubled" player.

4) The last trade down costing us Bobby Wagner. I lean toward Snead being a bit too greedy here and underestimating other teams desire for Wagner.

5) Finnegan via FA. Has Fisher's fingerprints all over it.

6) Cook via FA. Again, Fisher's fingerprints all over it. Hayes was a great get, though, and surely a Fisher move.

7) Tavon Austin trade up. Don't have a strong feeling about this one. Probably equal?

8) GRob at #2 overall despite his "rawness". Again, probably equal. Boudreau may have influenced them. I still like this pick, btw. Just don't love it.

9) Aaron Donald. Virtually certainly a collaboration. They both loved him all along. Easiest pick they will probably ever make.

10) Joyner over Trai Turner. More Fisher fingerprints here, I believe.

11) TruJo in the 3rd in '12. Heavy Fisher influence, I think.

12) Trade up for Mo Alexander. Pure Fisher. Might work out nicely, though.

13) Gaines in the 6th. Pure Snead.

14) Gurley at #10. Mutual, probably. At most, I'm sure Fisher didn't have to twist Snead's arm.

15) Havenstein. Probably Snead's fingerprints here.

16) The Bradford/Foles trade. Not sure. I lean ever so slightly toward Fisher, but I do think it was a decision they both supported. I do give credit to Snead for extracting that 2nd, though.

17) The Goff vs Wentz pick. The second biggest personnel move of this regime. We will never know, of course. Probably a mutual decision. Demoff knows the answer. The next 3 years will tell us if they made the best possible decision.

I know I missed many, but these 17 kinda stand out in my mind as pivotal personnel decisions. Some were brilliant, some were awful.

The question of whether Fisher or Snead had the most correct decisions will remain Demoff's secret.

I hope you enjoyed this read and hope you have comments or further input of your own.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Snead works for Fisher, so, does it really matter between the two?

And, regarding the pick for Gaines, why would it be Snead and not the scouts? My bet is the local scouts that handle Missouri banged the wood hard for the guy and the staff agreed on draft day.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

And, regarding the pick for Gaines, why would it be Snead and not the scouts? My bet is the local scouts that handle Missouri banged the wood hard for the guy and the staff agreed on draft day.

Possibly, but Snead wouldn't do anything without doing his own homework. At least he doesn't seem like that type to me. I recall reading a quote from his wife about him watching his alma mater getting blown out in a televised game and when she suggested turning it off he said no he wanted to see some of the players just in case.

You said banged the wood.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Demoff would probably tell you who had more influence on some of those picks.
It doesn't seem like something that falls under super secret national security or anything.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You're completely missing the point, 8to12.

Yeah, Fisher makes all final decisions. Hell, everybody knows that.

But prior to each personnel final decision, Snead has his input and Fisher has his input. Demoff knows the position each man took before Fisher made his call.

Sooooo...

Demoff is in a unique position to know which man was most prescient in his projections.

If a 5th losing season occurs, Demoff will know whether or not to retain Snead based on those projections over the 5 years. I don't think Fisher survives a 5th straight losing season, no matter how "correct" his projections may have proven to be.

FrankenRam

Starter
If a 5th losing season occurs, Demoff will know whether or not to retain Snead based on those projections over the 5 years. I don't think Fisher survives a 5th straight losing season, no matter how "correct" his projections may have proven to be.

I suspect Fisher will get at least the first 2 yr the team is in LA.....barring a total team meltdown that doesn't include significant injuries to multiple key players.

For example, if they were to go 5-11 and everyone is pretty much healthy and nobody misses more than a game or 2, then yeah, I could see him being gone after next yr. But if they go, say...., 7-9 and someone like Donald on D and Goff and/or Gurley on O were to miss half the season or more, I'd say there's virtually no chance Fish would be canned.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

This^, however, IMO, Fisher actually listens to his General Manager unlike Mike Martz with Charley Armey.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I think they have mutual respect for each other and work together better than most coach/GM combos in the league.

The opposite example I would give would be the dumpster fire that is San Francisco. :snicker: