Well, today we may see evidence of Rams personnel strategy emerge…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m thinking mostly here of OL, DL, and Edge. Possibly backup QB.

Rams must make some tricky moves at OL today, one way or another. They’re overstocked there and have to choose paths for several players.

Noteboom. Trade in the works or maybe no takers? Otherwise, swing tackle? I just don’t think he’s credible at RG no matter how much McVay sings that song. If Boom isn’t traded today I think he’s our swing tackle this year and maybe gone in 2024.

Bruss. Time to fish or cut bait with this kid. I favor a release with the intention of bringing him back on the practice squad. Risk is minimal and if some team claims him, so what? Always hurt and struggles at 3 different positions. Alternatively, they could pup or IR him. One way or another he shouldn’t sniff the 53.

Zach Thomas. I fervently hope he makes the 53. He’s versatile and has played well enough to be included in top 9 OL roster. I’m not sure he would clear waivers, so that’s not a viable option.

Allen. There seems to be an outside chance that he might be traded, possibly to Bucs. If not traded today, he’s almost certainly our backup OC.

Rams might put in claim for Grier but it can’t be today. Just spitballing long term options for backup QB. I’m only lukewarm on McCoy, tbh. Grier would solve our backup Q’s ‘problem’ at the very least by allowing Bennett all the time in the world to develop.

There are decisions to be made at both Edge and DL and I honestly don’t know what Rams will decide. What I do know is that no matter who is cut, Rams will be left with apparently inadequate personnel options. If I were Snead, I would be straining to make a trade or pounce on waiver wire for an opportunity to bring in even a journeyman type at either position. I just don’t think we’re good enough at either of those positions.

Bottom line? Rams might work a trade or three today. And their OL strategy might start to come into focus a bit. Also, waiver wire could be far more interesting this year than it’s been for quite some time.

Thoughts?

muggmeister

Rookie
Here's a mostly unrealistic trade idea, B. Allen, Bobby Brown and next year's 3rd to TB for Vita Vea? There, we got rid of an injury prone center (they need a center), and solved our glaring hole in the middle of our D. You can build a 3-4 front with Vea as the centerpiece for the foreseeable future. Go ahead everybody and blast away, like I said "mostly unrealistic" but I can hope too, right? Nevermind, just looked up his cap hits for next few seasons, all north of $20M, one expensive NT is not gonna make or break the Rams "23 season or near future. I should do more research before I blurt out stupid shit, sorry.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Here's the thing about trading Allen. He's a center for an outside zone team who's oft been injured. The football meta is now moving from outsize zone back to gap schemes. He just doesn't have much value.

It would be great if we could trade any player we don't want but salary, cap fallout, finding willing partners, the player's ability all factor in. I think it's unrealistic to think we'll be able to trade any of these guys but there's always a chance.

Don't hold your breath.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Here's the thing about trading Allen. He's a center for an outside zone team who's oft been injured. The football meta is now moving from outsize zone back to gap schemes. He just doesn't have much value.

It would be great if we could trade any player we don't want but salary, cap fallout, finding willing partners, the player's ability all factor in. I think it's unrealistic to think we'll be able to trade any of these guys but there's always a chance.

Don't hold your breath.
I love that you used "meta"... lol
Do you listen to "The Athletic" football pod?

And, dead on analysis. I think there's a good chance he's gone.
My thought is Avila could probably be backup center in a pinch.. and they could keep a prospect on the practice squad.
Keeping Allen as purely a backup center makes no sense to me, roster wise. The Dotson trade kind of pushed me to the finish line on this idea.

WestCoastRam

Legend

My thought is Avila could probably be backup center in a pinch.. and they could keep a prospect on the practice squad.
Keeping Allen as purely a backup center makes no sense to me, roster wise. The Dotson trade kind of pushed me to the finish line on this idea.
Yeah, I think it's the most accessible and easiest way to educated yourself about football out there and pretty entertaining at that.

Curious to see what happens with Allen, Avila could def backup in a pinch but I think they want to have him grow and learn at LG to become a franchise cornerstone going forward. I could see them keeping Allen but possibly cutting him in season if there's injuries that occur elsewhere on the line. I think there's even a world where that McCallister kid becomes next man up at center sometime during the season (initial practice squad guy).

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, I think it's the most accessible and easiest way to educated yourself about football out there and pretty entertaining at that.

Curious to see what happens with Allen, Avila could def backup in a pinch but I think they want to have him grow and learn at LG to become a franchise cornerstone going forward. I could see them keeping Allen but possibly cutting him in season if there's injuries that occur elsewhere on the line. I think there's even a world where that McCallister kid becomes next man up at center sometime during the season (initial practice squad guy).
All completely reasonable takes.

Yeah.. I really enjoy that pod... and the football GM edition has really grown on me. I just love the vibe between the two older guys and a slightly different perspective from the Robert Mays-led main pod.

One thing that I was excited about.. Nate Tice seemed impressed with Alaric Jackson at Rams camp. Was happy to hear.

McCallister was exactly who I was thinking of in that scenario. Same page.

WestCoastRam

Legend
All completely reasonable takes.

Yeah.. I really enjoy that pod... and the football GM edition has really grown on me. I just love the vibe between the two older guys and a slightly different perspective from the Robert Mays-led main pod.

One thing that I was excited about.. Nate Tice seemed impressed with Alaric Jackson at Rams camp. Was happy to hear.

McCallister was exactly who I was thinking of in that scenario. Same page.
I thought their Rams preview was on point.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Meta is a hot word for gun builds on Call of Duty lately too. Trends

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Meta irritates me though. It ends up being used by the player base of whatever game it applies to by excluding any other build.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’m not a gamer, so.. beyond my scope (get it?).

Anyway.. I like it better than “trend” or “standard” for the football talk.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What they do or don't do will tell us all we need to know about their plans for 2023.

If they stand pat then I believe this season be a setup for the 2024 season. Basically a throwaway season.

If they try to upgrade weaknesses then maybe they think they have a shot at this season. Most pundits don't think they do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’m not a gamer, so.. beyond my scope (get it?).

Anyway.. I like it better than “trend” or “standard” for the football talk.
Yeah and I should add that it's not the word that is the problem but the general lemmingness of people to want everyone to do the same thing. You jump into a group with a different build and people shit themselves in some games, though to some extent I do enjoy that. :laugh2: