Well, I’ll say this about our upcoming offseason...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don’t do mocks. Just don’t follow the college game nearly enough. I do enjoy reading the mocks of others, though. They entertain, educate, and provoke strategy thought.

But I do have some 30,000 foot impressions about what we may soon see.

In no particular order:

Watkins is 70%+ to be extended, but not tagged. Probably for more than the $10 million maximum that I would give him, too. I sense that S&M want him, so it will happen.

A LOT prospect that they like that falls to #23 is the only way I see them spending a premium pick on O at any position before the 4th round. So, forget about those C and G picks in the 1st round, fellas. Won’t be a WR or TE that early, either.

This will be a draft to “finish” Wade’s D. He’s gonna get the lion’s share of attention via FA and the draft. Depending on FA, our first 3 picks could be spent on D.

BTW, don’t go to sleep on a trade down possibility. If Snead sees a plateau of more or less equally rated players a bit below at positions of Ram need, I think he would jump on such a trade down opportunity. Maybe pick up an early 2nd and 3rd?

I see a fairly active FA for the Rams. Not necessarily top tier, mostly 2nd tier. They excelled with that strategy last year and I fully expect them to do it again. Don’t laugh, but inexpensive replacements for Watkins and TruJo could come in exactly this way.

I don’t see an incoming TE as a FA, or certainly as an early draft pick. I think they want to develop their in-house corps. Keep an eye on Hemingway, while we’re at it.

I think Quinn is 70% gone, hopefully in a trade of some kind, Barron is 50-50 to go, I think. Both are on cap stressing contracts, so it might come down to what the brain trust thinks our alternatives might yield in terms of bang for the buck. The cap savings by offloading these two would be mighty tempting for use in multiple shrewd 2nd tier FA moves to improve this roster.

I don’t see any way that they don’t extend Joyner for at least 5 years. I’ll even give that a “bank it”.

NRC is in, too. Excellent value with him and leaves one less hole to fill.

I make Sully 90% to be extended for 2 years. Just so effective and so smart. Was a highly underrated signing last year and was a big part of Goff and Gurley’s big years.

Giving Saffold an early extension would be a smart move, too.

I predict a new starting CB via FA and another via draft. Perhaps our #23. Then again, Snead has a superb record of finding quality secondary players after the 1st round and may well choose to try to do so again.

Depending on FA and, more importantly, who falls, I see a pretty evenly divided likelihood of a NT, Edge rusher, CB, or LOT as our 1st rounder. Any would make a ton of sense to me.

In short, anyone expecting many bold moves on O is gonna be disappointed, I’m afraid. I suspect that they’re 90% comfortable with their O situation, pending the Watkins decision. But the D is gonna have a lot of new faces on it this season. Perhaps 6 new starters. Yeah, six. Wade is gonna be heavily involved in many offseason move decisions ranging from TruJo, Quinn, Barron, and Barwin, through maybe the first 3 picks in this draft.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The draft is all about the long term future if you're doing things right. Relying on a rookie class to change your fortunes in one season normally results in disappointment. Its been a long time that the draft doesn't hold as much importance for the immediate future. Normally, we'd be looking at a higher pick hoping that guy would be the one to change our fortunes. Now, we're looking to the draft to maintain the winning ways over the next few years. Our immediate future is in good hands.

Ram65

Legend
In no particular order:

Watkins is 70%+ to be extended, but not tagged. Probably for more than the $10 million maximum that I would give him, too. I sense that S&M want him, so it will happen.

I think they go after Watkins hard too but, not crazy hard. Does four years and 50 Million sound too much? In the end 2.5 million more a year isn't going to really hurt the Rams much more than 40 Million.

A LOT prospect that they like that falls to #23 is the only way I see them spending a premium pick on O at any position before the 4th round. So, forget about those C and G picks in the 1st round, fellas. Won’t be a WR or TE that early, either.

This will be a draft to “finish” Wade’s D. He’s gonna get the lion’s share of attention via FA and the draft. Depending on FA, our first 3 picks could be spent on D.

BTW, don’t go to sleep on a trade down possibility. If Snead sees a plateau of more or less equally rated players a bit below at positions of Ram need, I think he would jump on such a trade down opportunity. Maybe pick up an early 2nd and 3rd?

Rams could be looking at 2-4 prospects they like at #23. I could see a trade down if one of them isn't there. They have to be looking at defense in round 1 and more than likely in the next two rounds unless they have a player they really like on offense. Free agency could tell a lot about the draft direction

I see a fairly active FA for the Rams. Not necessarily top tier, mostly 2nd tier. They excelled with that strategy last year and I fully expect them to do it again. Don’t laugh, but inexpensive replacements for Watkins and TruJo could come in exactly this way.

I don’t see an incoming TE as a FA, or certainly as an early draft pick. I think they want to develop their in-house corps. Keep an eye on Hemingway, while we’re at it.

They can't afford top tier free agents but, maybe a trade for Talib. What their free agents cost to sign will be interesting. I think it will cost more than many think. Just like the Rams other teams will be looking for bargain free agents like NRC and Sullivan. Rams will be bargain hunting.

I think Quinn is 70% gone, hopefully in a trade of some kind, Barron is 50-50 to go, I think. Both are on cap stressing contracts, so it might come down to what the brain trust thinks our alternatives might yield in terms of bang for the buck. The cap savings by offloading these two would be mighty tempting for use in multiple shrewd 2nd tier FA moves to improve this roster.

I've mellowed a bit on trades for both Quinn and Barron. Longacre has to comeback healthy to consider moving Quinn for one thing. Ebukam should get more PT but, isn't a replacement. If Barron and Quinn are healthy getting another year's play could be the smart move. I'm not feeling replacements for either in free agency as of yet. If Rams take CB in round 1 and don't pick till round 3 they won't be able to fill those spots with drafted players year one.

I don’t see any way that they don’t extend Joyner for at least 5 years. I’ll even give that a “bank it”.

NRC is in, too. Excellent value with him and leaves one less hole to fill.

I make Sully 90% to be extended for 2 years. Just so effective and so smart. Was a highly underrated signing last year and was a big part of Goff and Gurley’s big years.

Giving Saffold an early extension would be a smart move, too.

Sign them all.

I predict a new starting CB via FA and another via draft. Perhaps our #23. Then again, Snead has a superb record of finding quality secondary players after the 1st round and may well choose to try to do so again.

Depending on FA and, more importantly, who falls, I see a pretty evenly divided likelihood of a NT, Edge rusher, CB, or LOT as our 1st rounder. Any would make a ton of sense to me.

Rams need two CBs. It's going to be fluid as resigns and free agent signings will tell a little more about the draft. I can a CB, NT or Edge rusher round 1.

In short, anyone expecting many bold moves on O is gonna be disappointed, I’m afraid. I suspect that they’re 90% comfortable with their O situation, pending the Watkins decision. But the D is gonna have a lot of new faces on it this season. Perhaps 6 new starters. Yeah, six. Wade is gonna be heavily involved in many offseason move decisions ranging from TruJo, Quinn, Barron, and Barwin, through maybe the first 3 picks in this draft.

Got to keep the defense up to speed.

At this point things are so much up in the air as far as the Rams fans are concerned. So many moving parts that I imagine Sneed, Demoff, McVay and Phillips heads are spinning. It would be great to see some of the Rams free agents resigned soon!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets just get good-great players that our schemes and dump those that don't fit said schemes.

When is Week One again?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's been a long time sense the Rams have been in this kind of shape, going from one Season to the next with No Glaring Needs!! Probably sense 2000-2001!
Sure we could use a Little Tweeking, But nothing major!! It makes for a very slow, boring, Off-Season! I Love it, But it leaves Very little to Talk about until The FA Market warms up and the Combine and the Draft!
Personally I'M BORED!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope it is a free agency/trade offseason to fix Wade's D. Then the draft can be met without any pressure and the team can draft for future needs.