Well, I think we’re just 3 items short of being an elite team, y’all...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Not counting the usual disclaimer about avoiding too many injuries, of course.

Please bear with me for a moment as I do a quickie review from 30,000 feet...

First, Wade’s D. Somehow, some way, Wade has molded this unit that has only one All Pro on it into a kick butt scoring D. Moving Brockers, moving Joyner, starting JJ are looking like brilliant decisions. Some of us were worried about Tree and Barron, but not anymore. Even Barwin has stepped up lately and Quinn showed some signs of life vs the Cards. It’s been a wade synergy thing.

Here’s the bottom line. Last 14 consecutive quarters they’ve yielded 39 points. And that includes 7 points from that gifted run to Fournette on the blown gap assignment on the Jag first play. This outstanding little D scoring run averages out to around 11 points per game. THAT will get the danged job done, huh? I don’t expect that 11 ppg average to continue, but then again, I do expect these players to continue to improve as a unit as they further gel together. Love me some Wade! Take a bow, sir.

Second, Fassel’s ST. Wouldn’t trade these guys for anyone else in the league. Hekker is simply the best, a definite All Pro. GZ is leading the danged league in scoring! Missed only one attempt through 7 games. Pharoh has been outstanding on KOR and has been an upgrade since taking over PR duties. Our coverage and return units have been outstanding. Take a bow, coach Fassel!

Thirdly, McVay’s O. What an improvement! Worst to first in scoring. Hardly recognize the “new” Goff and Gurley. Kromer’s job with this OL can’t be overstated, another worst to top 5 effort. Kupp and Woods have been beyond impressive and have mastered the O since camp, at least. McVay’s play calling and creation of mismatches has been superb. We rarely get outcoached, anymore. The entire O coaching staff deserves to take a bow, too.

Helluva job by all of the above, so far.

So, what are my 3 items needed to get us to elite status? (No, I didn’t stutter. I did say elite).

1) Get Watkins fully incorporated into this O. He’s just not there, yet. He needs to fully grasp this O, the audible options, and his sight adjustments such that he and Goff are on the same damned page at all times. Goes without saying that he needs to demonstrate 100% effort with good body language. Watkins is potentially an O beast for us. He can threaten the D short, medium, and deep on every single snap and force the D to gameplan just for him, loosening things up even more for our other weapons. Somehow, our staff needs to reach Watkins and see that he “gets it”, and the sooner the better. Watkins is a scoring machine waiting to happen.

2) Next is Higbee/Everett. McVay is known as a TE whisperer, but so far all we’ve seen from these 2 are occasional flashes. I think both are capable of much more. I can’t wait to see our 2 TE’s become the terrors that some other teams enjoy. I think this will come, but if it comes soon, look out! Opposing DC’s won’t know whether to crap or wind their watch! Lol.

3) Last, but not least is improving our red zone scoring. It’s baffling that with this OL, this QB, these TE’s and WR’s, not to mention Gurley, that this team should struggle down there. This is the item of my 3 that I think may be most difficult to achieve. McVay reportedly struggled with this in Washington, too. But if he can get a handle on this shortcoming, Katie bar the door!

The good news is that I think it’s looking like a short 3 step hop, skip, and a jump from very good to elite status for us. NOBODY could have foreseen this back in July. More good news is that I suspect all 3 of these items can and will be addressed before the playoffs begin. See what I did there? Lol.

Thoughts or comments welcome, y’all.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good post again 43. It took the Rams 7 games to finally put one together where they played very good football in all 3 phases of the game.

As to your 3 points

1. Lets not forget that Watkins was brought in late and had little or no time in OTA's TC or pre-season games, so he is playing "catch-up".

2. Rams lost a cog they wrere going to count on in Hemmingway. Higbee and Everrett are still very green and getting used to the speed of the game from college ball. they are improving.

3. this is the one that concerns me the most because McVay had this same problem in Washington. He's a smart guy, he'll figure it out..

Rams are putting it together as a complete team.

WE HAVE NOT SEEN THE RAMS PLAY THEIR BEST GAME YET!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Today I keep learning the NFL best offense is extremely flawed. Every where I turn in Rams fandom I read how bad we are. Bye weeks are a killer.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Today I keep learning the NFL best offense is extremely flawed. Every where I turn in Rams fandom I read how bad we are. Bye weeks are a killer.

Right?! Apparently ranked #1 isn't enough for some people. Did I mention we already played the two toughest defenses in the league as well ??? Lol

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They are improving as we go, which is most important.

Defensively I think they will continue to improve. Key will be health tbh.

Offensively it will largely be about Goff's development. And to a lesser extent the TE position as they are holding McVay back.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
2) Next is Higbee/Everett. McVay is known as a TE whisperer, but so far all we’ve seen from these 2 are occasional flashes. I think both are capable of much more. I can’t wait to see our 2 TE’s become the terrors that some other teams enjoy. I think this will come, but if it comes soon, look out! Opposing DC’s won’t know whether to crap or wind their watch! Lol

Not sure what to think of Everett at this juncture because in spite of a handful of very good plays, McVay only deployed him on 18 snaps v AZ (one fewer than Austin). He seems to have a specialty role while Higbee saw the field on 68% of the snaps. Even Carrier saw 4 more plays than Everett. He certainly has the athleticism and was our first player selected in the draft. He must be struggling to execute his assignments properly, which I suppose shouldn’t be surprising for a rook but his impact will be predicated by his ability to impress McVay better than he has so far.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Good Post @Rams43

Yes Watkins will need to get up to speed, and he will after this BYE. A lot of guys are stepping up, and showing lots of determination on how real winners play the game. Elite? I see signs of massive improvements all around that may give merit to what it means to be elite.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ

I am curious, are we the number 1 scoring offense, or number 1 scoring team? Because I believe we have a lot of points scored by defense and special teams that factor into it. Not that it truly matters, just curious.

And there's always room for improvement. That's how we stay on top. For me, this is what I need to see more of...
1.) Goff needs to be clutch. His vision has improved and he's managing the game well, but right now he's getting credit as a game manager, and not a game changer. Being a number 1 overall pick, you hope that he has that "give me the ball and I'll win the game for you" ability like we've seen out of Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Big Ben, Carr, etc. So far his two opportunities to do this, we failed; an interception at the end vs the Redskins and Seahawks (though Kupp definitely owns a lot of that blame). He's done great thus far, but getting to that next level would be amazing.

2.) Watkins looks lost. A lot of his targets, he's not even expecting the ball. I'm hoping it's a lot of "he's learning the system still", but he's definitely proven he can catch and get open. Just needs to know where the ball is and we need to be able to hit him in stride and connect on deep passes

3.) Defense looks like it's getting on track. We need to see some consistent performances against much stronger offenses, like Saints and Eagles and similar coming up. If we can play strong against those teams, I'll feel much better. Maybe I'm still recovering from allowing 39pts to the 49ers

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am curious, are we the number 1 scoring offense, or number 1 scoring team? Because I believe we have a lot of points scored by defense and special teams that factor into it. Not that it truly matters, just curious.

And there's always room for improvement. That's how we stay on top. For me, this is what I need to see more of...
1.) Goff needs to be clutch. His vision has improved and he's managing the game well, but right now he's getting credit as a game manager, and not a game changer. Being a number 1 overall pick, you hope that he has that "give me the ball and I'll win the game for you" ability like we've seen out of Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Big Ben, Carr, etc. So far his two opportunities to do this, we failed; an interception at the end vs the Redskins and Seahawks (though Kupp definitely owns a lot of that blame). He's done great thus far, but getting to that next level would be amazing.

2.) Watkins looks lost. A lot of his targets, he's not even expecting the ball. I'm hoping it's a lot of "he's learning the system still", but he's definitely proven he can catch and get open. Just needs to know where the ball is and we need to be able to hit him in stride and connect on deep passes

3.) Defense looks like it's getting on track. We need to see some consistent performances against much stronger offenses, like Saints and Eagles and similar coming up. If we can play strong against those teams, I'll feel much better. Maybe I'm still recovering from allowing 39pts to the 49ers
Rams score the most points per game. Rams get in the red zone the most times per game. This year they score points almost every time they're in the red zone, GZ missed one fg. They can get better absolutely but they're kicking butt and I'm enjoying the hell out if it, not lamenting what could have been. As for this desire to work Watkins in more. Can you force chemistry? Maybe he and Goff just aren't clicking, let it work itself out! The Rams spread the ball around more than any other team, why mess with the offense by forcing the ball to Watkins?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I agree with McVay, this team hasn't accomplished anything yet.

Tons of improvement needed on this young team. I agree with OP and others who think there is room to get better.

Defense to me is still suspect until They can do what they did against AZ week in and week out.

The one thing I love about this team and why they are #1 in my heart is how they play with guts. At times, and I know this sounds nuts, but I don't mind if we lose a game cause we are always in the game - and you can't win every one. But boy we sure look tough right now!

Imperial

UDFA
Name
Imperial
Great post! I was thinking about the TE's this morning...they still need to pick it up. Fortunately, I believe this is just an adjustment period...both guys are young and lack substantial experience in an NFL offense. I think once they calm down and catch up to the speed of the game, we'll all be pleasantly surprised. I've seen Everett make a few moves that just blow me away. Dude is a serious athlete and threat!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Mine are pretty simple:

1) cut down on stupid penalties/turnovers (Moreso turnovers, as we have been doing decent job with penalties- with exception to secondary). Can't continue to keep teams in the game with momentum shifting turnovers.

2) GET WATKINS involved! Yes, I understand we play to the weaknesses of the Defense and what they show us (we are pretty elite at this) however get our prized acquisition more deep balls/screens/slants whatever!!!

3)Goff... as long as he continues to play efficiently and not turn it over, with more and more red zone success, we will be ELITE.

Rainram

Starter
I haven’t had time to re-watch games like in years past. And I’ve watched a handful of our games this year in the condensed version. That’s my disclaimer.

At first glance I almost get the feeling teams are keeping a safety deep on Watkins. So he ties up two people and keeps the field stretched out for McVay’s scheme to flourish. Hence Gurley tearing it up in the run and passing game, and Woods/Kupp beating the second and third best CBs handily in that 5-10 yard range.

Things I don’t see...

The TEs pushing the seams
Austin used as a deep threat
Watkins used on quicker/shorter routes

McVay knows what he’s doing. That I’m confident in. Teams just can’t defend everything we have. Right now, with what teams are giving us, McVay’s scheme and Watkins unfamiliarity has his stats a bit modest. He’s still a HUGE piece to our success though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I pretty much agree with everything @Rams43 says....we need to continue to get better.

2. Rams lost a cog they wrere going to count on in Hemmingway. Higbee and Everrett are still very green and getting used to the speed of the game from college ball. they are improving.

I was thinking about the TE's this morning...they still need to pick it up. Fortunately, I believe this is just an adjustment period...both guys are young and lack substantial experience in an NFL offense. I think once they calm down and catch up to the speed of the game, we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

I just don't think TE is an easy adjustment...Nor are these guys....like...super TE studs....physical game for them....as long as they get better at blocking...I'm happy. Not expecting much from either at this point going forward.

Everything else is very possible. Especially red zone conversions.

I still don't know why Sammy isn't utilized more:thinking:.....Curious why Tavon doesn't run ANY downfield patterns???:thinking:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Ram43, I think you only have two items of concern because if ( I really mean when) those 1st two, SW and TEs, are clicking, the 3rd item is solved by default. SW and our TEs will be Red Zone terrors at that point. I think you see this begin to happen in NY after the bye. This will scare DCs across the league. It's nice to be a RAMS fan again! :yess:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good OP.

Still.....tough crowd this fan base is.
200w.webp

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Great post @Rams43

I think the red zone consistency will help tremendously. This team will get better and better as the season goes along. I believe the rams need to get back to the seam passes to the tight ends, get Sammy up to speed, and complete drives!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great post @Rams43

I think the red zone consistency will help tremendously. This team will get better and better as the season goes along. I believe the rams need to get back to the seam passes to the tight ends, get Sammy up to speed, and complete drives!

Thanks, Farr.

The exhilarating thing about this team and this staff is that I suspect that they’re just getting warmed up.

McVay has put in and already achieved the big stuff now. The fundamental building blocks on the O, D, and ST?

But now, he has the luxury of drilling down into the nuances and finer points at all positions.

That, plus the normal improvements that occur when players play together over time should yield ever greater and greater results. And I’m talking about all 22 starters here.

Once that sinks in it gets pretty damned exciting, huh?

I haven’t been this excited about a Ram team in 14 years. And I sense a permanence to this projected future excellence that the GSOT never enjoyed.

This is a very good time to be a Ram fan, IMO.