Week One Depth Chart Released, Barrett Jones Starting Center

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Week One Depth Chart Released, Barrett Jones Starting Center
By 3k

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/8...reseason-week-one-depth-chart-oakland-raiders

With just days remaining to the Rams' preseason opener, the first official depth chart is out.

The Rams will face the Oakland Raiders in their preseason opener on Friday, and we've got the official depth chart from the team:

2015_preseason_week_1_depth_chart.0.JPG

So we've got Barrett Jones as the starting center and Demetrius Rhaney with the second team. Tim Barnes is going to have to step it up at this point.

And Steven Baker has the edge over Isaiah Battle for the other backup tackle spot with Andrew Donnal set in behind Rob Havenstein at RT.

Emory Blake's in as the sixth wide receiver over the newcomers.

Don't be too put off by Mannion in the fourth QB spot. Fisher's always reluctant to lean on rookies early, plus bear in mind that Garrett Gilbert was in with the third team a year ago with Austin Davis as fourth. By the end of week one, Davis was the starting QB.

Defensively, Ethan Westbrooks sneaks in as a DT to make the second team front four.

And while I'm a Cameron Lynch fan, it's the same Mannion effect for Marshall McFadden as the backup behind Alec Ogletree.

There is a bit of surprise for me with Lamarcus Joyner on the third team while Marcus Roberson makes the twos.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Barrett Jones listed as starting center on 'unofficial' depth chart
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-as-starting-center-on-unofficial-depth-chart

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams open the preseason Friday night against the Oakland Raiders. And with the start of the preseason comes the release of the "unofficial" depth charts from the teams.

By no means are these set in stone and it's quite likely they'll look much different when the season starts on Sept. 13. But the depth charts can at least provide some semblance of a baseline for how things might play out. The Rams released theirs on Monday morning and there were a few things worth noting.

First and foremost, the ongoing center competition among Barrett Jones, Tim Barnes and Demetrius Rhaney has had Barnes going first in the daily rotation. But the depth chart actually lists Barnes third with Jones listed as the starter. Rhaney is second on the chart.

This contest is far from over but it shouldn't be a surprise to see Jones first on the list. If nothing else, he would be the logical candidate the Rams would like to see win the job. The Rams invested more draft capital (fourth-round pick in 2013) in Jones than either of the other two players. Barnes is the only one to start games at center in the league with four but has also had more time to prove himself. Rhaney has been thought of as the wild card but one could argue he has the most upside physically and the Rams are intrigued by him.

Offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti confirmed Sunday that the Rams won't make a choice on a starting center until preseason games are played, which makes Jones, Barnes and Rhaney worth watching as the exhibition slate gets underway.

Some other musings from the depth chart:

-- The Rams technically list 12 starters on offense, including three receivers (Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey) and two tight ends (Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks). They have one running back listed (Tre Mason) but it's interesting because when they start with a fullback, it's the other tight end not listed as a starter (Cory Harkey) who would be the guy likely to open the game.

-- In reality, the wide receiver situation will probably gain more clarity as the preseason goes on in this way: right now Brian Quick's absence is noticeable from the listed starters. But that's likely only because he is still recovering from a serious shoulder injury. He's looked sharp and healthy in camp. Barring any setbacks, he'll likely start opposite Britt.

-- At quarterback, the list reads Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Austin Davis and Sean Mannion. No surprise there as Keenum and Davis are expected to battle for the No. 2 job.

-- Not much to note on defense though it's a bit surprising that Jo-Lonn Dunbar is listed as the third starter at linebacker. For most of camp, new addition Akeem Ayers has worked with the first team with Dunbar working mostly as the primary backup in the middle. This would be a good example of a reason why it's wise not to take these depth charts too seriously.

-- At cornerback, E.J. Gaines is listed as the starter opposite Janoris Jenkins but is currently dealing with a foot injury. Trumaine Johnson will hold that spot down until Gaines returns.

-- Small note and not surprising based on what they've done in camp but Ethan Westbrooks is listed as the primary backup to Michael Brockers at right defensive tackle rather than as an end.

================

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Saffold at LG bothers me, I expected him to start at RG where he can be nasty. Guess the new guys aren't cut out yet.

Big Game

Living The Dream
The new guys are starting at RG and RT... Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein. which allows Saffold to be the Left guard.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams Roster: 53-Man Roster, Depth Chart Projection
By 3k

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/8...uis-rams-53-man-roster-depth-chart-projection

Time to take a stab at the roster.

I haven't taken a look at the potential 53-man since way back in early May. Let's have another go at it.

POS 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
QB Nick Foles Austin Davis Sean Mannion
RB Todd Gurley Tre Mason Benny Cunningham Isaiah Pead Chase Reynolds
FB/TE Jared Cook Lance Kendricks Cory Harkey Justice Cunningham
WR Brian Quick Kenny Britt Stedman Bailey Tavon Austin Chris Givens
OT Greg Robinson Rob Havenstein Andrew Donnal Isaiah Battle
G Rodger Saffold Jamon Brown Garrett Reynolds
C Barrett Jones Tim Barnes
DE Robert Quinn Chris Long William Hayes Eugene Sims Martin Ifedi
DT Michael Brockers Aaron Donald Nick Fairley Louis Trinca-Pasat
MLB James Laurinaitis Daren Bates
OLB Alec Ogletree Akeem Ayers Jo-Lonn Dunbar
CB Janoris Jenkins Trumaine Johnson E.J. Gaines Lamarcus Joyner Marcus Roberson
S T.J. McDonald Rodney McLeod Mark Barron Maurice Alexander Cody Davis
ST Greg Zuerlein Johnny Hekker Jake McQuaide

- The changes from my last projection: TE Alex Bayer, G Travis Bond and G Cody Wichmann make way for Battle, Reynolds and Alexander.

- The UDFA mess is gonna need some preseason action to clear up, but I'm still holding onto Ifedi and LTP for now.

- I wanted to get Cameron Lynch in there at OLB, but Alexander's praise from the staff drew me in. Call me a sucker, but that stuff works.

- And I've got both Gurley and Gaines avoiding the PUP to open the season. If either heads that way, that would require some shifting. Gurley would allow for Lynch or someone else to climb in; Gaines would likely require a CB replacement. Were that to happen, I'd probably lean towards Brandon McGee, though the intrigue of the blank slates provided by the UDFAs is always compelling.

- One last note...since I included it last time talking about the wideouts, forget AFROS. They're the Flamingo Squad (NSFW audio for you office lemmings).

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Aside from A Ayers being listed as 2nd team that looks alot like our game 1 lineup.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
So Rhaney is ahead of Barnes? That's pretty interesting. Figured Barnes would get some vet treatment.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I wouldn't read too much into anything at the moment. Believe it happens to be Jones turn in the rotation today, Rhaney with 2's, Barnes with 3's. If this chart was put out tomorrow, would have been Rhaney - 1, if put out yesterday, Barnes - 1.

bskrilla

Starter
I'm not sure this means much of anything. For one thing they've already said they were going to rotate all the centers through. I'm sure they'll each get their turn. Second why is Brian Quick behind Tavon on the depth chart? If it's because of injury then why in the world is Todd Gurley second on the depth chart when Fisher has already said he won't play this preseason.

Also I can't imagine Austin Davis is valued over Sean Mannion by the team. He may be ahead at the moment purely because of his previous experience here.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It also shows Gaines starting and he isn't even practicing right now with his foot. Any further word on that btw?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was surprised to see Cody Davis listed as a FS. I like him a lot, but I think he's a tweener. Too small to play SS and too stiff to play FS. I
am hoping that Christian Bryant steps up to eventually become our starter at FS. Bryant was the FS and leader on one of the best defenses in the country (Ohio State) before ruining his ankle.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I noticed the Gaines ahead of Tru thing as well. I'm thinking this will sort itself out a bit more before the season starts and we will likely see other players listed as starters next week.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Too soon....Just names on a list IMO....Otherwise Barnes & Reynolds are in trouble...And Chase Reynolds get the ball if Mason goes down...

Cody Davis shouldn't make the squad.