Week 2 Snap Counts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not only do I see us elevating a practice squad OLman, but the necessity of trading for or invading another teams practice squad for a RB seems more likely.
No doubt. I suppose no matter how you slice this it comes down to roster strength. But what irks me so badly is that we have positions that do this to us every year that are on the course to possibly do it to us again.

Rams looking for a RB midseason... That's another meme right there. So tired of it. And I'm so pissed at Akers right now for acting like a fucking primadonna when his best play is to put his head down and work.

This is now officially going to be Evans' window to try to get himself up for gameday. Can he do that and help us avoid that midseason trade BS at the RB position? I sure hope so.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
We need to find (on or off the roster) a RB who is versatile enough to spell K.Williams without telegraphing the types of plays we’re running (or not running) by putting him on the field.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
No doubt. I suppose no matter how you slice this it comes down to roster strength. But what irks me so badly is that we have positions that do this to us every year that are on the course to possibly do it to us again.

Rams looking for a RB midseason... That's another meme right there. So tired of it. And I'm so pissed at Akers right now for acting like a fucking primadonna when his best play is to put his head down and work.

This is now officially going to be Evans' window to try to get himself up for gameday. Can he do that and help us avoid that midseason trade BS at the RB position? I sure hope so.

On that note, I'm not expecting Snead to spend heavily on a RB trade, but someone to share snaps and take some of the pressure off of Williams as a rotational relief valve. I believe the 2024 draft will bring us our new RB1.
jmo.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But where he's not right is the logic of putting a glass motherfucker on the interior where we have a moment of happiness then get the rug pulled out from under us.
I remember seeing the play where he hurt his shoulder. He pulled to the left and instead of squaring up and hitting the guy with his head and chest, he used his shoulder. I recall seeing Steve Avila going downfield and using his head and body to push a defender off to the side, unlike Boom. I just don't think the guy likes physical contact, which is necessary if you play guard.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I remember seeing the play where he hurt his shoulder. He pulled to the left and instead of squaring up and hitting the guy with his head and chest, he used his shoulder. I recall seeing Steve Avila going downfield and using his head and body to push a defender off to the side, unlike Boom. I just don't think the guy likes physical contact, which is necessary if you play guard.
I noticed he still plays a lot with his hands, like he’s still playing tackle, but he’s good at it and it was working (although not when he lunges on running plays).

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
This is now officially going to be Evans' window to try to get himself up for gameday. Can he do that and help us avoid that midseason trade BS at the RB position?

No, he can't. He can't pass block or hold onto the ball. At least not yet.

If/when we cut Cam, I'm sure we can find a better RB3 on waivers / another team's practice squad.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only four active players didn't get into the game - Rypien (thank goodness), Brian Allen (understandable, Shelton stayed healthy), Davis Allen (rookie, learning at a tough position) and Earnest Brown IV. Gotta think that doesn't speak well for EB4, especially considering everyone else in the defensive line rotation got good snaps.

Edit - adding a note that EB4 only got five snaps in week one (all defense, no special teams), so I think when Desjuan Johnson shows he's ready for the game day roster, EB4 may be in trouble.

swmizzou83

Starter
I really thought J Johnson would play more snaps this week. Guess he's just a veteran reserve at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing them try him in Rozeboom's spot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would take the most physical safety not named Fuller or Yeast and replace Rozeboom with him. If they can get someone who is not too bad a dropoff from Rozeboom (which should not be too difficult) but who brings some extra quickness in his drops and better coverage ability, it would make the defense better. Teams like SF you probably need that second backer but we have a stretch coming where extra mobility should be favored.

Guys like Noteboom really fuck a team over. Because you think you're good then PSYCH!!! You're back where you were. Thankfully they are working their way through these guys of late and getting rid of them but I hope we don't spend the next five weeks trying to get Boom in there and that affecting Anchrum's snaps in practice and gameday focus. Noteboom is better than Anchrum btw. Our line with Boom is noticeably better in pass pro. But maybe it's smarter to relegate his ass back to swing OT, assuming he ends up being ok or when he returns. Then pour your focus into Anchrum and let's see if we can get a fucking OL that isn't a MASH unit with guys going down every game or so. I am over that shit.

At some point Tomlinson needs to get in there at one of those three spots but as things stand right now our corners are doing a good job overall in being in position and not being caught freelancing around or being confused on calls. If that continues we should start seeing guys making plays vice making penalties. Having a guy of Tomlinson's quality on the bench is a great problem to have too btw. Every one of them should be looking over their shoulder because he can play all the spots.

Next offseason they need to make it a fucking priority to add depth chart returners. I am so tired of key guys doing returns. Williams felt fine in that role assuming Akers could lock down the RB spot. But now we're risking a guy at a position that already takes a beating and there isn't a lot of quality options behind him to choose from. What we need are a couple guys who can make the bottom of the roster as returners and general ST.

And finally Jefferson better take a moment to relish those 82% of snaps. Because shit's gonna start looking real different barring a situation where he's got blackmail material on McVay or Yarbs or something. Take at least half his snaps and give them to the guys who were behind him on the depth chart and see if we can find that third role. My money's on Skow there but he's not the only option.
Yeah to the safety idea. More speed and better lateral movement would be a big help, as long as they can tackle.

I don’t think Noteboom is any better than Anchrum. Given some starting reps Anchrum could be the better choice. He already run blocks better.

I’m tired of them hanging onto guys that can’t stay healthy also. I hate when they draft them too. They’ve had a few years to correct these mistakes but we keep seeing it.

Was Powell really signed for so much money that the Rams couldn’t afford him? I don’t like starters returning on STs either.

My take after watching some of the decisions made for several years now: McVay likes to play his soon to be free agents. I think it’s an overall strategy to get picks for them. I also think he gets too attached to players that he likes personally. The trust issues with younger players is also a real thing. For example, can’t Davis Allen block as poorly as Hopkins already? If so, then what’s to lose by giving him more snaps? It took Hopkins three years to see the field ( long time for a fourth round TE). Has he gotten any better? I’d rather see what the new guys can do in live action. Heck, Van keeps making mistakes in his fourth year starting. Might as well let a few guys develop a little if Van gets a pass for his bad plays.

Jefferson's snap counts should be a lot further down the list. They gotta be careful with Kyren Williams. He's turning into a solid player but too much use can wear him down. This is his first season as a starter. Maybe get Rivers some more carries?

What to do with Akers is the question. We're going through it again. Its probably time to move on from him if he's not buying what the coach's are selling.

I thought the line lost a little when Noteboom went down. I think Anchrum has the potential to be better but it might take more time. Hopefully he's practicing with the 1's this week.
I watched again. When Noteboom went out the Niners started dialing up the pressure shortly afterwards. Anchrum looked to be about the same level as Joe in pass blocking. He was quicker in run blocking and able to reach his blocks better because of it. The entire Oline just faced more extra pressure when Anchrum was in. It coincided with the Niners leading.
We need to find (on or off the roster) a RB who is versatile enough to spell K.Williams without telegraphing the types of plays we’re running (or not running) by putting him on the field.
It seems like KW is the only one that can pass block. None of the Rams backs inspire confidence long term

I get that McVay got burned by Gurley’s knee but his offense needs a great runningback imo. It’s never been the same or even close to as good on a consistent basis. That’s likely a product of having a bad run blocking Oline for so long. Shanahan emphasizes run blocking with Olinemen. They are easier to find and as long as the scheme is to get the ball out quickly then the pass blocking holds up. That’s likely why he seems to be able to plug in any RB he wants to.

I’m all for trading to get Taylor. He would change the offense. They wanted McCaffrey. Why not Taylor?
I really thought J Johnson would play more snaps this week. Guess he's just a veteran reserve at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing them try him in Rozeboom's spot.
He started the game but came out quickly. I’d like to see him get more snaps too but maybe he’s not the same physically?

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Truly boggles my mind that Hopkins is still on the team. Only gets 9 snaps but makes the most of it by executing a perfect hold on Bosa, thus negating a nice gain
That was a huge mistake. Cost us a nine yard run and stalled out the drive. Why was a TE blocking Bosa in the first place.