Week 12 Snap Counts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Rams Week 12 snap counts: John Johnson leads safeties, Tutu Atwell's role shrinks​

1701106173301.png

The Los Angeles Rams coasted to a second straight victory on Sunday as they blew out the Arizona Cardinals for the second time this season, a 37-14 win on the road. Because of the lopsided score, the Rams were able to get some of their backups playing time, which allowed the starters to take some snaps off down the stretch.

Even Carson Wentz got into the game, though he didn’t attempt a pass.

Even when the game was close, there were some changes on both offense and defense when it comes to the snap counts. Tutu Atwell played his fewest snaps of the season, while John Johnson led all safeties with 87% of the snaps played. Derion Kendrick remained a starter, as well, after being demoted in Week 9.

Offense​

Screenshot-2023-11-27-at-9.26.24-AM.png

Alaric Jackson and Steve Avila were the only offensive players to play every snap. Rob Havenstein, Kevin Dotson, Coleman Shelton and Matthew Stafford were all pulled from the game for the final three snaps.

Cooper Kupp appeared to come up limping in the first quarter and was checked by the training staff, but he still played the most snaps of any wideout on Sunday. He played 59 snaps, with Puka Nacua playing 54. Shockingly, it was Demarcus Robinson who operated as the No. 3 receiver, overtaking Tutu Atwell by playing 16 more snaps. Ben Skowronek played 14 snaps and Austin Trammell played just three in garbage time.

Kyren Williams touched the ball 22 times in his 41 snaps played. He led the backfield, of course, but Royce Freeman played 23 snaps himself; Freeman had 13 carries for 77 yards and a touchdown in the win. Zach Evans played three snaps in the fourth quarter.

Tyler Higbee continues to lead the tight end group with a 75% snap share, but it was Hunter Long and Davis Allen backing him up. Brycen Hopkins was a healthy scratch, indicating the Rams like Long and Allen better right now.

Defense​

Screenshot-2023-11-27-at-9.26.38-AM.png

Derion Kendrick was demoted before the Rams’ bye week, but in the last two weeks, he’s bounced back in a big way. He was the only defender to play every snap on Sunday, and he turned in another solid performance after shining against the Seahawks a week ago. Ahkello Witherspoon played just 66% of the snaps, mostly because he was pulled in garbage time, while Cobie Durant played 45% as the nickel defender with Quentin Lake out. Tre Tomlinson got his longest look of the season by playing 34% of the snaps.

At safety, Johnson led the group with 62 snaps played. That’s partly because of the lopsided score, which allowed the Rams to give Jordan Fuller some snaps off. Still, it’s clear Johnson remains ahead of Russ Yeast after overtaking him last week. Jason Taylor II got his first snaps of the season and played 35% of the plays.
Ernest Jones had his workload lightened thanks to the Rams’ big lead, playing 63% of the snaps. Christian Rozeboom remained the No. 2 linebacker with 49% of the snaps played ,and Troy Reeder was once again the third option (32%).

At edge rusher, there were no real changes. Byron Young was once again the top outside linebacker alongside Michael Hoecht. Ochaun Mathis was third with a 34% snap share, followed by Keir Thomas (21%).

Along the defensive line, Aaron Donald had a lighter workload (59%), but it was still the most snaps played by a Rams defensive lineman. Kobie Turner played 44%, with Jonah Williams playing 38%. Bobby Brown’s role shrunk compared to last week, but that could be because of the Cardinals’ pass-heavy attack. Even Desjuan Johnson played more snaps (22) than Brown (19).

WestCoastRam

Legend
Interesting snap share from Tutu. Looks like Robinson is taking a bunch of snaps now at X where Tutu's size make lining him on on the line an issue (though he did a great job on the long catch in the 1st). Tutu seems to excel from F, not at option routes, but not being on the line, running crossers and short motion from there (though seeing less of that, I think). With Kupp in the lineup, and McVay's desire to maximize Kupp at F, I'm not shocked to see Tutu's snap count decrease. Additionally, I imagine Robinson is the better blocker on run plays too.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Dotson has been consistently ranked as the best guard in the league this year. What a steal. We're gonna have to pay him a boatload of money to stay. I think he'd be worth it though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting snap share from Tutu. Looks like Robinson is taking a bunch of snaps now at X where Tutu's size make lining him on on the line an issue (though he did a great job on the long catch in the 1st). Tutu seems to excel from F, not at option routes, but not being on the line, running crossers and short motion from there (though seeing less of that, I think). With Kupp in the lineup, and McVay's desire to maximize Kupp at F, I'm not shocked to see Tutu's snap count decrease. Additionally, I imagine Robinson is the better blocker on run plays too.
Tutu doesn't really excel at anything. That's the problem. In this league when you're limited in significant ways you get schemed accordingly.

Robinson meanwhile was a mixed bag. I do like his concentration on some of those catches. The first down conversion for example was impressive. But then I really did not like Kupp telling him where to line up. And that's a recipe for being on the bench with McVay.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Also, I was fairly wrong about Johnson being washed and only good for a dime-backer role. Dude worked himself into game shape and started at safety. It did seem like Lake (before injury) may have taken that spot opposite Fuller (who had his best game this season and possibly best as a Ram) from Yeast so it will be interesting to see if Johnson remains there when Lake is healthy. If so, Lake playing big nickel and dime-backer will still be a thing he excels at.

Either way, I suspect with Johnson back there and/or Lake we'll see a bit better play than with Yeast.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Johnson definitely plays the ball better. Yeast reminds me of Rapp, he can cover decently in man (and hits hard too) but in space with that ball in the air he's out of his element.