We ran the ball a lot, and need to run it more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Now we have something to give the defenses major problems. Best back in football and a bowling ball backup.
If we would have lost this game it was on McVays hands. Getting sick of seeing a 8 yard run on 1st down then two incomplete passes and punt. It happened in this game and could have cost us.
This is the playoffs, don't overthink yourself McVay. Run it again, twice if you need to and just get the first down. If the Rams just did it on that series the boys have no chance at the end. We get two more minutes of possession, probably points. Game over.
Especially the way our O line was blowing the boys d line back. We actually could have lost the game with over 250 yards rushing. That would have been on the coach.IMO. Can't help things like the "almost" int that would have sealed it. But getting "cute" in the playoffs is a choice by a very smart man. Make the right one.
Don't get me wrong, McVay is the best thing to happen to the Rams, maybe ever. Just don'y out think yourself. Its a simple game sometimes. If you are blowing them off the ball lean on the thing that gives you the best chance of success, run it on 2nd and short. Just get the damn first down.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
CJ is a ballistic missile when he runs. You can count on him to get the 1st down...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Now we have something to give the defenses major problems. Best back in football and a bowling ball backup.
If we would have lost this game it was on McVays hands. Getting sick of seeing a 8 yard run on 1st down then two incomplete passes and punt. It happened in this game and could have cost us.
This is the playoffs, don't overthink yourself McVay. Run it again, twice if you need to and just get the first down. If the Rams just did it on that series the boys have no chance at the end. We get two more minutes of possession, probably points. Game over.
Especially the way our O line was blowing the boys d line back. We actually could have lost the game with over 250 yards rushing. That would have been on the coach.IMO. Can't help things like the "almost" int that would have sealed it. But getting "cute" in the playoffs is a choice by a very smart man. Make the right one.
Don't get me wrong, McVay is the best thing to happen to the Rams, maybe ever. Just don'y out think yourself. Its a simple game sometimes. If you are blowing them off the ball lean on the thing that gives you the best chance of success, run it on 2nd and short. Just get the damn first down.
I agree run the ball when it's short yardage, especially in the Red zone . But The pass plays where there Goff just needs to get more accurate.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
This game was amazing. McVay never really abandoned the run like he has in the past. He got away from it a bit here and there but overall he just kept pounding the rock. If he does this for 2 more games we get a Parade and some rings!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
CJ is a ballistic missile when he runs. You can count on him to get the 1st down...

I think he has niftier feet than TG. TG is a one cut rocket ship while CJ is a bowling ball with very nifty and nimble feet.

They complement each other very well.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
That's a winning formula right there...it may be a passing league today but in history the teams that could run the ball like this with 2 Running Backs are going to prevail.....

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
You pass the ball to keep the defense honest. We rushed plenty. No need to become completely 1 dimensional.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
48 rushes to 28 passes.

I don’t think ANYONE figured that McVay would take it to that extreme.

And it was AWESOME!!!

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
So glad to see McVay utilizing both backs, and the crazy thing is we can still run plenty more plays that are much different with having 2 backs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think we as fans focus too much on the playcalls. With the run the key is productivity and since CJ was signed the line has been firing the F off which makes it easier for the playcaller to stick with the run. TG has always had a home run type element to him, whereas CJ gives us plus yards of smaller variance. It's a really nice mix for McVay and helps him.

Also keep in mind our third down and sustained drives vs Dallas were insanely good tonight. If you are angry or disappointed by that I think you have unrealistic expectations. No offense is going to give you 100% sustained drives. And those drives that aren't sustained will have plays where fans blame the play calls while the problem is sometimes an execution issue or the other team winning enough individual snaps to win the play.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

McVay ran the ball 48 times in the game overall, but still defaulted to the pass in the red zone and in the first drive of the third quarter when the run couldn't be stopped. This game was a big step forward for McVay as a strategist, but he still made some tactical errors as a player caller.

McVay will become a supreme strategist when he becomes truly unpredictable-- when he might run the ball not just throughout the game but 6 or 8 times in a row. He needs to establish that as a possibility to truly perfect the passing game and a balanced attack, not to mention controlling the clock, empowering the o line, taking the pressure off the qb, etc.

This is the play calling dimension of forcing the d to defend every blade of grass and totally disguising the intent, run or pass, of every play.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I liked all the playcalling tonight with the exception of a few 2nd and short calls.

TexasRam

Legend
I just rewatched the game.

i’ll be damed i’d we didn’t set up the run with the pass first. Jared was nailing the 15-20 yarders and that is when the running lanes opened up. second half same thing. 15-20 yard passes then the run exploded.

The Gurley TD was beautiful. Whitworth took out two guys and the rest of the line blew the cowboys to the right and Gurley had a red sea part.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This game was amazing. McVay never really abandoned the run like he has in the past. He got away from it a bit here and there but overall he just kept pounding the rock. If he does this for 2 more games we get a Parade and some rings!

Over 300 yards between Gurley & CJ. That goes Not even count the great run by Goff to in the game

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think we as fans focus too much on the playcalls. With the run the key is productivity and since CJ was signed the line has been firing the F off which makes it easier for the playcaller to stick with the run. TG has always had a home run type element to him, whereas CJ gives us plus yards of smaller variance. It's a really nice mix for McVay and helps him.

Also keep in mind our third down and sustained drives vs Dallas were insanely good tonight. If you are angry or disappointed by that I think you have unrealistic expectations. No offense is going to give you 100% sustained drives. And those drives that aren't sustained will have plays where fans blame the play calls while the problem is sometimes an execution issue or the other team winning enough individual snaps to win the play.

Get MAD ?? What would you have said I The Rams fail if 4th down on 2nd possession on there own 40 down 7-3 ??

Big Balls McVay & his trust with his own offense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay ran the ball 48 times in the game overall, but still defaulted to the pass in the red zone and in the first drive of the third quarter when the run couldn't be stopped. This game was a big step forward for McVay as a strategist, but he still made some tactical errors as a player caller.

McVay will become a supreme strategist when he becomes truly unpredictable-- when he might run the ball not just throughout the game but 6 or 8 times in a row. He needs to establish that as a possibility to truly perfect the passing game and a balanced attack, not to mention controlling the clock, empowering the o line, taking the pressure off the qb, etc.

This is the play calling dimension of forcing the d to defend every blade of grass and totally disguising the intent, run or pass, of every play.

Unfair if you say unpredictable on play calling then. Can’t have it both ways.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I just rewatched the game.

i’ll be damed i’d we didn’t set up the run with the pass first. Jared was nailing the 15-20 yarders and that is when the running lanes opened up. second half same thing. 15-20 yard passes then the run exploded.

The Gurley TD was beautiful. Whitworth took out two guys and the rest of the line blew the cowboys to the right and Gurley had a red sea part.
Did Withworth hold at all ? A cowboy fan was crying about that play.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Unfair if you say unpredictable on play calling then. Can’t have it both ways.
Really going with the run, in the right situation, is another aspect of unpredictability which McVay needs to exploit. In these two years, until this game, he has consistently defaulted to the pass. If he shows the possibility of going to the run for a real roll, and the o-line can make it happen, we will be unstoppable because we will be truly unpredictable.