We owe Jeff Fisher an apology for one thing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maybe pay Fisher to evaluate RBs for us this year. :laugh3:

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Fisher could draft well and scheme defense. His head coaching was in the toilet, as is now obvious.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This year's offense is pretty comparable to his.
Disagree

Maybe - injuries & Cam Akers makes it seem that way.

Van Jefferson didn’t do much. I was a Johnathan Taylor fan,but he is hurt. The Colts look lost without him.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Fisher could draft well and scheme defense. His head coaching was in the toilet, as is now obvious.
Don't forget his special teams prowess. He is basically the opposite of Mcvay in many regards. Which is both Funny and sad at the same time.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
A big problem the Rams had under Fisher was the utter lack of talent on the offense. We had holes everywhere. They never had a reliable LT for starters. Then they would whiff on guys in the draft like Tavon Austin. Tons of back braking penalties and a general lack of enginiity in the play calling.

With that said, the man built a nasty defense. Alec Ogltree, Aaron Donald, Janoris Jenkins, Rodney McLeoud, Johnson was a stud CB, Robert Quinn. All those guys came in the Jeff Fisher era.

Outside of Todd Gurley the Rams had no elite talent to compliment their defense. I mean they had Austin Davis at QB for a few games. (He did shred SEA though. I was at that one. It was amazing, trick plays on ST's stole it. Lol)

The Rams today have a lot more talent on offense. Stafford is a bonifide starter, something they lacked since Mark Bulger. Kupp is a star.

The offensive line they Rams have now is lacking and their RB's are pretty average. Whitworth retiring by itself was a huge blow. Without a LT your offensive line feels naked.

But the Rams won the Super Bowl last year so I'd say some gratitude to McVay is warranted. He's a brilliant young mind but you can't make chicken soup with chicken feathers. Rams need to retool in multiple areas. That's just part of it.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
A big problem the Rams had under Fisher was the utter lack of talent on the offense. We had holes everywhere. They never had a reliable LT for starters. Then they would whiff on guys in the draft like Tavon Austin. Tons of back braking penalties and a general lack of enginiity in the play calling.

With that said, the man built a nasty defense. Alec Ogltree, Aaron Donald, Janoris Jenkins, Rodney McLeoud, Johnson was a stud CB, Robert Quinn. All those guys came in the Jeff Fisher era.

Outside of Todd Gurley the Rams had no elite talent to compliment their defense. I mean they had Austin Davis at QB for a few games. (He did shred SEA though. I was at that one. It was amazing, trick plays on ST's stole it. Lol)

I’d say the Rabbit would get burned every time The Rams went up. On third downs Offenses always knew where to go because of his cushion.

Les Snead was there for both.He missed on a few players.You could tell where he was & wasn’t making the picks.

Tavon Austin a bust? Trading up was dumb imo. Les Snead was in in that pick Big Time!! Talk about a repeat is Tutu Atwel.

Austin Davis is an example of what makes Les Snead great. A” Jackson more than makes up for Atwell.

The Rams have Rucers starting.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Seriously guys cmon.....

Right? It's a "punt" type year.

Be competitive, win some games to close out the year, and if you get a WC spot, great..if not just re-tool and get healthy for 2023.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeff Fisher, "3-4 record? On their way to 7-9. I dont see what the problem is"

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Team looks tired this year. 2nd half has been brutal.
My guess is they lost that hunger and desire after winning it all. The same intensity isn't there. That's why they wear out in the second half. Winning a title has made them complacent.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would have loved to retain Fisher as the Rams defensive coordinator, but he would not have accepted the demotion.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Jeff Fisher was a lot better than he is given credit for. He was a middling coach. Not bad. Certainty not good enough to win a Super Bowl with, but the media and public at large typically paint him as a failure and clueless, which is completely false. Most real Rams fans will acknowledge, however, that he played a significant role in dragging the Rams up from being the NFL's laughing stock.

His teams were full of fire, even if undisciplined, and certainly would not lose to any opponent 8x in a row like McVay's Rams to the 49ers...

His teams usually finished around .500, give or take a game or two, but did it almost every season with a backup QB, as Sam Bradford was perpetually injured for seasons in their entirety. If we are being honest, how many head coaches would have done much better, if you consistently robbed them of their starter? Perhaps Bradford's bum knees were a blessing in disguise long-term, as if he stayed healthy, and the Rams did not consistently turn to names like Hill, Davis, and Clemons (what a list!)... we likely hover at or around 10 wins for some time, and we likely miss out on McVay.

We are much better off with McVay but Fisher was competent and, if McVay did not burst onto the scene to such great success, I am sure Jeff Fisher would still be employed in the NFL. I really think McVay's instant success soured the public's perception of Fisher to an unwarranted degree.

EDIT - I doubt he would ever be interested in a DC position. Especially not in LA as subordinate to his replacement in McVay. But imagine if we could replace Morris with Fisher as DC? Bonus points is that Fisher's obsession with a strong running game and ability to scout and get the most out of RBs could really be a great foil to McVay, if permitted to have any input in the running game. Fisher's RBs always produced, regardless of pedigree, and usually fell off after leaving town. Tre Mason. Zac Stacey. Gurley. Steven Jackson. Benny Cunningham. Daryl Richardson.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
He could draft defense well.

Offense? At least as many misses as hits.
He only drafted a couple good offensive players

Goff (yes he was good - not great) Gurley Havenstein - other than that - nada zilch zero

And his misses were mind numbing

Robinson Quick Givens Austin Pettis Peat Watkins etc etc etc