We gotta draft Chris Long's lil brother.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Simply for the opportunity to add him to the player tweets.

[tweet]298945075755507713[/tweet]
[tweet]298949107362451458[/tweet]
[tweet]298942553984741377[/tweet]
[tweet]298922407845060608[/tweet]
[tweet]298657363924250624[/tweet]

bluecoconuts

Legend
The Chris Long "controversy" tweets were pretty funny. His brother is funny too, those two on the same team would be pretty awesome, I hope we take him.

Hram

UDFA
He is pretty athletic and very determined but limited experience with only one year at the major college level.

Still, I think he could play RT. Wouldn't that make practice fun. :yeh:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I read that he would like to play for us.

It would be cool if he came here.....IF he can help us.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Hram said:
He is pretty athletic and very determined but limited experience with only one year at the major college level.

A lot of pundits have the Rams taking Kyle Long. I think it makes sense on a few points:
1. He's Chris's brother, so obviously it could help strengthen their competitive edge (not the Chris really needs it). But having Chris, a great veteran/locker-room guy around to show him the ropes could really help him, especially when considering he did have some off the field problems back at FSU
2. He's very talented, but raw and he works hard. He has a nasty streak. He's the kind of guy you can draft in the 2nd-3rd round and the type of player that Boudreau loves to develop
3. It sounds like Kyle want's to be in St. Louis with his brother. With a player who works hard, gets to compete against his brother and wants to be there with him, I think it improves his chances of developing his athletic talent.

Hram

UDFA
brokeu91 said:
Hram said:

A lot of pundits have the Rams taking Kyle Long. I think it makes sense on a few points:
1. He's Chris's brother, so obviously it could help strengthen their competitive edge (not the Chris really needs it). But having Chris, a great veteran/locker-room guy around to show him the ropes could really help him, especially when considering he did have some off the field problems back at FSU
2. He's very talented, but raw and he works hard. He has a nasty streak. He's the kind of guy you can draft in the 2nd-3rd round and the type of player that Boudreau loves to develop
3. It sounds like Kyle want's to be in St. Louis with his brother. With a player who works hard, gets to compete against his brother and wants to be there with him, I think it improves his chances of developing his athletic talent.

I've heard all the same things. As a Ducks fan, I've been reading about Kyle since Oregon began recruiting him. My guess is he will be a good one. I'm not sure he'll be ready to play next year and I don't know if he's worth a 2nd. I think he is definitely worth a 3rd. He seems to have everything but experience.

I bet Chris would work with him over the offseason helping him get ready to play right tackle.

nighttrain

Legend
oboy, if get Warmack and Warford, both possible, Long could make for an incredible OL for many years!
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hram said:
I've heard all the same things. As a Ducks fan, I've been reading about Kyle since Oregon began recruiting him. My guess is he will be a good one. I'm not sure he'll be ready to play next year and I don't know if he's worth a 2nd. I think he is definitely worth a 3rd. He seems to have everything but experience.

I bet Chris would work with him over the offseason helping him get ready to play right tackle.

Ducks fan? You up here in the Pacific Northwet too man?

Hram

UDFA
RamFan503 said:
Hram said:

I wish! Some day...

Born, bred and raised in Oregon. I'm one of those weird people who grew up rooting for the ducks and the beavs.

Joined the Army in 86, saw the world and retired summer of 08 (not the best timing I ever had). The job I landed post Army is North of Chicago and causes me to travel around most of the upper midwest. I'm sitting in LaCrosse, WI right now waiting for more snow to fall.

I gotta start looking harder for something in the NW. These 5-6 months of winter are painful!

It's the RT spot that has me a bit nervous. I'd like a better pass-blocker than Richardson,
though he did MUCH better than I gave him credit for last year for us. I'd like a real RT athlete and get nervous about DJFluker's feet....a tad slow. BUT, I was very wrong about Loadholdt....he's played very well at RT
and I was wrong in thinking he was an OG only when he came out. Carl Nicks too!! I was wrong on both...
but there ya go! Fluker's got me bettin against him...so he's gonna be an All-Pro RT for sure!! winking smiley

I watched the SeniorBowl again and I must say that Kyle Long is a very GOOD athlete...that's learning to play OT & OG.
I think he's a RT with very good feet. imo
I'd draft Long in the 2nd and feel good about it....especially, with CLong and the older bro pressure. Kyle looks like he's ready to grow up and has loads of upside!!

btw -
I can't remember seeing a skinnier OT than OK's Lane Johnson.
Lane looked like a freakin TE and seems barely 270lbs in pads!! LOL
Then, he just moved around SO WELL in the SeniorBowl practices that I was amazed. Just a helluva an athlete.
Lane Johnson and about 10-20lbs of off season weight-training and he'd be a real stud.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
OK many mocks have him going late second round or early third. Where are you going to play him? Long is a lefty pitcher decided to accept a scholarship to Florida State to play baseball after spurning the advances of the Chicago White Sox, who selected him in the 23rd round of the 2008 draft. He lasted only one semester in Tallahassee, however, failing to make grades and eventually being cited for a DUI charge. After spending time at home to ponder his future, he decided to enroll at Saddleback Junior College for the 2010 season. He played defensive end in his first year there (16 tackles, two for loss, sack) and then moved to the offensive line as a sophomore. He chose Oregon over several other FBS suitors coming out of Saddleback, and started 10 out of 12 games for the Ducks on the offensive line despite his relative lack of experience. Applied for a sixth year of eligibility via a medical redshirt, but was denied. Long has had a long list of injuries none serious but of the nagging kind. He even missed two days of practice during the senior bowl.

He is tall but has short arms 2 inches shorter then the NFL average for arm length for tackles. Was not the conclusion @ the senior bowl that he looked unnatural in practice at the senior bowl on the outside but much better @ OLG? How many 6-7 OG's are there? Alex Boone who is a very good Right OG for the 9ers listed as 6-8 300 pounds. Thats just skimming the top of stuff.

Here some of what I found on him.

Strengths
Looks the part of an NFL lineman.Thick arms, which he can extend to keep defenders at bay in pass protection (sometimes using one hand to ward off his man while on the move). Can turn smaller tackles out of the hole with his upper body strength. Decent leg strength and very good flexibility for his height, as well, which helps him drop his hips and anchor and explode from his stance. Excellent mobility given his size, has no issues moving behind the line or pulling in front of plays -- hitting multiple targets at times. Solid on combo blocks when maintaining his bend, and also displays the footwork to get the outside angle on run blocks, move well on zone plays, and also sustain while his man is trying to spin out of pass pro blocks. Plays with attitude, backs up his teammates on the field, cleans up piles.

Weaknesses
Still new to the game of football, and his play is still a bit unrefined. Doesn’t always play with the natural bend he possesses. Overextends off the snap at times trying to land his punch, losing his balance and allowing his man to disengage. Similarly, will lunge at linebackers when he reaches the second level. Struggles to keep his hands inside of the defender, and will “catch” his assignment. Seems to second guess himself in space or get partial, glancing blows when blocking on the move instead of driving his man to the ground. Rocky start to his college career at Florida State.

Bottom Line
As a one-and-done contributor for the Ducks on the line, Long’s combination of size and athleticism won’t be ignored by NFL scouts, who will see his great potential as a starting guard or tackle.

NFL Comparison
Brandon Albert

The Rams may want him more than most other NFL teams due to our big need @ LEFT OG and the fact they have made his older brother a mainstay of this Ram team. Chris may be a great asset to Kyle and may be able to make Kyle a much better pro that he would be otherwise. Bloodline competition is a well known in big families. So with him being a lefty would it make good sense to keep him on the left side & not move him to the right OT where he has never played? Selection of Kyle Long any earlier than @ #78 in the third round IMO would be a reach but if the Rams have failed to address the OLG post with the three easier picks this would be about right.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hram said:
RamFan503 said:
Hram said:

I wish! Some day...

Born, bred and raised in Oregon. I'm one of those weird people who grew up rooting for the ducks and the beavs.

Joined the Army in 86, saw the world and retired summer of 08 (not the best timing I ever had). The job I landed post Army is North of Chicago and causes me to travel around most of the upper midwest. I'm sitting in LaCrosse, WI right now waiting for more snow to fall.

I gotta start looking harder for something in the NW. These 5-6 months of winter are painful!

Yeah - people bitch about our rain but I'll take that over a gazillion degrees below zero. We're out here 7 miles east of Newport, OR. If you get out our way, I have a restaurant and brewery - let me know you're coming. I'll give you the Ramsondemand super special discount. :sly:

Hram

UDFA
RamFan503 said:
Hram said:
RamFan503 said:
Hram said:

I wish! Some day...

Yeah - people bitch about our rain but I'll take that over a gazillion degrees below zero. We're out here 7 miles east of Newport, OR. If you get out our way, I have a restaurant and brewery - let me know you're coming. I'll give you the Ramsondemand super special discount. :sly:

By far my favorite part of the coast! I must have spent over 100 nights camping and in hotels between Newport and Yachats. I will take you up on your kind offer the next time I visit. :)