Wasnt Chris Weinke a QB guru

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
for some QB school or training program? Which QB did he think the Rams should have taken #1? And was Fisher the only thing that kept Weinke from having Goff ready for week 1? Was Goff forced on Weinke?

I was really in hopes that Weinke was hired to make up for Fishers short comings as far as getting a QB ready to start his NFL career, but if that was the case why didnt he tell Fisher the best way to get him ready for the NFL was to give him as many preseason reps with the 1s as possible?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
for some QB school or training program? Which QB did he think the Rams should have taken #1? And was Fisher the only thing that kept Weinke from having Goff ready for week 1? Was Goff forced on Weinke?

I was really in hopes that Weinke was hired to make up for Fishers short comings as far as getting a QB ready to start his NFL career, but if that was the case why didnt he tell Fisher the best way to get him ready for the NFL was to give him as many preseason reps with the 1s as possible?
Who knows what kind of input Weinke had, but he was the QB guru at IMG Academy, one of the premier college training sites to prepare young men for the NFL. Who is to say that Weinke isn't doing a good job. Jared had a large learning curve ahead of him, coming from the offenses he ran in college, and high school. They did him no favors, as far as the NFL is concerned.

Wentz was way better prepared to play in the NFL, based on what he was asked to do in college. That doesn't mean who will be the better QB in the future. It is way too early to tell that.

Edit: He was the Director of Football at IMG, during that time, and trained Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Luke Kuechly, Teddy Bridgewater, and Ryan Tannehill, among many others.

Last edited:

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
Weinke, the pro quarterback who was 1-15 in his first year as the starter for Carolina and had 2 wins in his entire pro career. Yep, that's who I want as a guru. o_O

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Weinke, the pro quarterback who was 1-15 in his first year as the starter for Carolina and had 2 wins in his entire pro career. Yep, that's who I want as a guru. o_O
We brought in Jeff Garcia, as well. Didn't work out.

IMG doesn't do too poorly, at about roughly, $70,000 per kid. A lot of good coaches have never even played, and has no bearing on what kind of coaches one will be. you failed to mention that Weinke also won the Heisman trophy, which also has no bearing, on whether you can coach or not. Seems strange to me, why people are mad at Weinke. He seemed like a very honest, earnest guy, from what I could tell on Hard Knocks. Do we want someone blowing smoke up our coaches ass?

If anyone want to sling mud on Boras, I won't defend him.:poop:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Mike Martz didn't win any games as a pro QB.
Many great coaches havent.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
14332=8048-demo-3-stooges-football.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Mike Martz didn't win any games as a pro QB.
Many great coaches havent.
That's because Mike refused to throw anything underneath, and ignored the blitz completely. He believed a QB was meant to get hit hard, and often:sneaky:

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again

Rarely do excellent, naturally gifted players make good coaches. My own personal theory is that it came easy to the great ones, so they never had to learn and work through shortcomings to achieve success. Not having gone through that, they don't know how to teach it. And they seem to lack patience with those who need that kind of development.

Just my observation and there are exceptions. But it is common where weak or mediocre players became excellent coaches.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just cause he cant play doesnt mean he cant teach. Remember those who can do, those who cant teach.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We brought in Jeff Garcia, as well. Didn't work out.

IMG doesn't do too poorly, at about roughly, $70,000 per kid. A lot of good coaches have never even played, and has no bearing on what kind of coaches one will be. you failed to mention that Weinke also won the Heisman trophy, which also has no bearing, on whether you can coach or not. Seems strange to me, why people are mad at Weinke. He seemed like a very honest, earnest guy, from what I could tell on Hard Knocks. Do we want someone blowing smoke up our coaches ass?

If anyone want to sling mud on Boras, I won't defend him.:poop:

Not mad at him, just curious what others thought and if maybe he is the right man for the job.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I just made this same comment in the Goff thread, but maybe better suited for here. I found it interesting that Weinke made a point to say in that final meeting they showed in the last episode that he "Liked Mannion last year and felt he had a great camp this year"

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not mad at him, just curious what others thought and if maybe he is the right man for the job.
Most of the credible QB experts, said it would take time for Goff to adjust to the NFL. They also said that he should be a very good QB, when he's ready.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I just made this same comment in the Goff thread, but maybe better suited for here. I found it interesting that Weinke made a point to say in that final meeting they showed in the last episode that he "Liked Mannion last year and felt he had a great camp this year"
And he did, Keenum had a good camp too, and nobody, before last game said Mannion should start over Keenum. If someone did say it, I missed it. Keenum laid a big, fat, stinking egg. It smells, we can all still taste it in our mouths, and if he doesn't show dramatic improvement, as well as our OC, then changes must be made. Last year, Foles was badly outplayed, and that was our coaches mistake, I just don't think we'll make it again, nor did they make it already. I understand why Case started, and I think think most of us do. He played well, but...

if it doesn't translate, goodbye, Mr. Case. Goodbye, Mr. Boras.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I distinctly remember Weinke saying, in Hard Knocks, that Goff will be fine ... he just needs reps.

What's he not getting right now? And who's responsible for that?

Bruce2980

Starter
Most of the credible QB experts, said it would take time for Goff to adjust to the NFL. They also said that he should be a very good QB, when he's ready.
And did these QB experts assume that Goff was going to be getting reps with the ones, or are they talking about him sitting as the # 3 QB on the bench? Because there is a fast way to learn and there is a slow way to learn.

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
Has anybody on the Rams ever been a winner in the NFL? I'll give GW his credit. Anyone with the experience of being part of a winning team? The thought just came of who is teaching these kids to be winners. We're short on coaches. :fuelfire:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
And did these QB experts assume that Goff was going to be getting reps with the ones, or are they talking about him sitting as the # 3 QB on the bench? Because there is a fast way to learn and there is a slow way to learn.
I don't know what they assumed, but I assume that I know what you assume.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Too bad he's not an o-line guru

Blaming the QB Monday night is ridiculous (imo)