Washington battles to get back to practice field/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Washington battles to get back to practice field
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1b032f97-cd71-5c67-a7ff-99e4848c8911.html

Rams guard Brandon Washington readily admits he is not a good patient.

“I probably was a pain in the butt for the guys in the training room because I was constantly bugging them to let me get back on the field,’’ said Washington, a second-year pro who returned to the practice field this week after missing time with a hamstring injury. “I did everything in my power and they helped get me back out here.

“I cannot afford to be on the sideline. I just kept reminding myself daily that you can’t make the club in the tub.’’

The 6-foot-2, 320-pound Washington hopes to make his preseason debut Saturday when the Rams take on the Browns in Cleveland. Even while injured, he tried to stay as connected to the offensive line as possible.

“You can’t afford to fall behind, so you try to stay on top of things physically, mentally and emotionally,’’ Washington, 25, from the University of Miami, said. “But it’s good to be out here again, back with my brothers. It just feels good to get some reps and get a chance to compete again.’’

Washington, one of a handful of players battling for interior-line spots, was selected by Philadelphia in the sixth round of the draft in 2012 and signed to the Rams’ practice squad that September. Last season, he split time between the practice squad and active roster before making his regular-season debut with 17 offensive snaps in the Rams’ season-ending loss in Seattle.

TOUGH LUCK FOR DANIELS

Safety Matt Daniels, a third-year pro from Duke, simply can’t catch a break when it comes to injuries.

Signed as an undrafted free agent in 2012, Daniels went down with a season-ending knee injury that fall when a teammate rolled up on his leg as Daniels was blocking on a punt return. Last year, on an very similar play in the season’s second game, he suffered a broken ankle and was again done for the year.

This month, in the preseason opener against New Orleans, Daniels lasted just three snaps on special teams before being sidelined.

“It happened in the first quarter, but I couldn’t tell you much more than that,’’ the 24-year-old said. “On the sideline, I just felt a little off, so I went to trainers. Surely enough, I was concussed, and had to shut it down before I even got a chance to get any defensive snaps.’’

Daniels sat out last weekend’s game with Green Bay and returned to practice early this week.

“It’s always frustrating when you can’t play because you feel like everybody else is getting a chance to compete and get better, but I couldn’t even be in the building,’’ he said. “They told me to stay home and rest. I just felt useless.

“But I’m feeling good and I’m starting to get excited about playing football. And I’m excited about Cleveland. I’ve got two games to show what I can do and I’m definitely ready to ramp it up a little bit.’’

CATCHING UP

The lone fullback on the Rams’ roster, rookie Kadeem Jones suffered a hamstring injury a day or two into camp and returned to the practice field early this week.

“Just feels good to be back out there, getting reps with my guys,’’ the 5-foot-10, 266-pounder from Western Kentucky said. “It was frustrating (sitting out), but I did my best to take mental reps to stay involved. Now that I’m back, I really have to get after it, doing whatever I need to do to stay.’’

Jones, 22, attempted to come back to practice a week or so ago, but returned to the stationary bike the next day.

“A minor setback,’’ said Jones, who focused on blocking in college but did manage to score 15 career touchdowns for the Hilltoppers.

After missing so much time, Jones has some catching up to do.

“Just taking it day by day, rep by rep,’’ he said. “All I can do is give it all I’ve got and trust and believe in God.’’

When discussing the return of several players, Rams coach Jeff Fisher did mention Jones: “Kadeem looks like he’s on the road to recovery, looks like he’ll be full speed tomorrow.’’

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams wrapped up their first post-training camp workout Thursday and went through some of their final preparations for Saturday night’s game at Cleveland.

Coach Jeff Fisher expects left tackle Jake Long, offensive lineman Rodger Saffold and defensive tackle Michael Brockers to start. Even with the status of middle linebacker James Laurinaitis still to be determined, the Rams could have as many as 20 of their normal starters on the field for the third preseason contest.

Only a handful of players missed Thursday’s workout — linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, defensive ends William Hayes and Sammy Brown, defensive tackle Matt Conrath, linebacker Pat Schiller, center Demetrius Rhaney and guard/center Barrett Jones.

• As expected, running back and special teams player Isaiah Pead was not claimed on waivers and has been shifted to the injured reserve list. Pead, a third-year pro, suffered a torn ACL in his left knee while returning a first-quarter kickoff last weekend.• With their season openers slated for this weekend, the three high school football squads from the Ferguson-Florissant School District — McCluer, McCluer North and McCluer South-Berkeley — practiced at the Rams indoor facility on Thursday.